It's cool to hate Microsoft - and it drives me crazy

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I know this happened slowly, and Microsoft can probably only blame themselves, but it feels like the Mac vs PC commercials were INCREDIBLY effective at creating Mac love and Microsoft Hate.

I can't deal with reading Gizmodo anymore .. and theverge is not far behind. Topolsky did a rant on their latest podcast about Lumia 920 fans, calling them f'ing mutants.

The reason I love Microsoft is because it's balanced between being too open (Android, Linux) and too closed.

One could argue there is no such thing about too open, but too many choices, options and directions can sometimes be frustrating if you just want something polished and finished. I feel like Microsoft strikes a good balance here.

I also feel like I understand my relationship with Microsoft as a business, I pay money, I get software. Google is a little more complex .. as I'm never really sure what is free and what is a front for collecting information.

Apple .. well they just confuse me .. and their fans more so. It's like they make things simple, which generally means less features ... but somehow (some) Apple fans call themselves geeks and tech enthusiasts. My brain equates Apple with anything but. I understand tech geeks liking Linux ... but Apple? No .. Apple is the brand for my mum ... my sister ... and the 'knows enough to be dangerous' tech enthusiast.

Have these 'knows enough to be dangerous' people somehow taken over the tech media? Are they morons thinking they are smart, followed by other morons who also think they are smart?

Some of them seem smart though ... and I can't work them out .. how do people that know better choose Apple? Help me understand this .. somebody?

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Slow down... You should not even care about that... just buy what you like... don't insult someone for his preferences...

I care because I want the platform to be popular ---> more app choices ---> platform may actually survive.

The platform needs support from the 'knows enough to be dangerous' crowd, who recites what they read on the verge and influences the masses.

Forgive the insults, I have #Topolskyrage

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Any platform has the simple level and the advanced level. Androids have to be rooted to be so "open". Without rooting them you just cant do anything you please. Apple is simple out of the box. You have to jail break them to do cool things with them. Same with WP. Simple out of the box with only MS approved tweaks. Unlock it and you can do more advanced stuff. No real difference between any of the platforms.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't get your boxers in a knot. Eleven years ago Microsoft had to give up on their planned World domination of all things tech. They had to give others a chance to catch up thanks to some judges rulings. They have learned a lot since then, and developed a top notch legal team to fend off future attacks.

Now they are beginning to take back what is rightfully theirs while riding that fine line between monopoly and free enterprise. Google and Apple have helped prove that owning 90%+ of a particular market segment is A-Ok. Don't think Microsoft won't use that for reference a few years from now.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jabz9

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
i know how you exactly feel. i feel the same way. some of my friends say before the end of 2013, windows phone isn't gonna be around anymore because it wont pick up market share and sometimes i feel like their right. i just have a feeling that microsoft may just give up on the mobile platform and just make apps and then we have to chose between Android or Iphone.

since we dont have that much marketshare i also fear that Blackberry may grab the #3 spot.

i just hope Microsoft can come up with great advertising for their phone and windows phone 8 can get more market share. if anything i just Windows phone to be at least the #number 2 spot behind android ahead of apple.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Remember when everyone hated in the Zune? Even today people hate on it because it's not an iPod, even though in many regards, if not ALL regards, it's a much superior product. People hated it without even trying it, just because its market share was low somehow automatically meant it sucked.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Just like how people hated Xbox when it first came out, now it's at the top of the gaming industry. With time we will also be at or near the top of the mobile industry. MS isn't and have already made it clear that they aren't giving up on WP.

msi31684

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
i know how you exactly feel. i feel the same way. some of my friends say before the end of 2013, windows phone isn't gonna be around anymore because it wont pick up market share and sometimes i feel like their right. i just have a feeling that microsoft may just give up on the mobile platform and just make apps and then we have to chose between Android or Iphone.

since we dont have that much marketshare i also fear that Blackberry may grab the #3 spot.

i just hope Microsoft can come up with great advertising for their phone and windows phone 8 can get more market share. if anything i just Windows phone to be at least the #number 2 spot behind android ahead of apple.
WP8 has already created so much buzz..lumia 920 is most talked about phone and people r waiting to buy it...2013 is gona be windows year 8...Microsoft will never give up dude..check the history..u might see apple goin down someday and people forgetting iToys...Microsoft will keep coming with products untill they dont come with killer product and kill their rivals...WP8 has all the ingredients to kill iOS and Android...BB is no way near..just bcos u read some articles few days back ur saying this...Use ur brains...

jabz9

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
WP8 has already created so much buzz..lumia 920 is most talked about phone and people r waiting to buy it...2013 is gona be windows year 8...Microsoft will never give up dude..check the history..u might see apple goin down someday and people forgetting iToys...Microsoft will keep coming with products untill they dont come with killer product and kill their rivals...WP8 has all the ingredients to kill iOS and Android...BB is no way near..just bcos u read some articles few days back ur saying this...Use ur brains...
I hope so man. all they need to do is get Better apps. all my friend use their iphone for is instagram . if we can get that im sure sooner then later we will be on top

anon(5348535)

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this happened slowly, and Microsoft can probably only blame themselves, but it feels like the Mac vs PC commercials were INCREDIBLY effective at creating Mac love and Microsoft Hate.

I can't deal with reading Gizmodo anymore .. and theverge is not far behind. Topolsky did a rant on their latest podcast about Lumia 920 fans, calling them f'ing mutants.

The reason I love Microsoft is because it's balanced between being too open (Android, Linux) and too closed.

One could argue there is no such thing about too open, but too many choices, options and directions can sometimes be frustrating if you just want something polished and finished. I feel like Microsoft strikes a good balance here.

I also feel like I understand my relationship with Microsoft as a business, I pay money, I get software. Google is a little more complex .. as I'm never really sure what is free and what is a front for collecting information.

Apple .. well they just confuse me .. and their fans more so. It's like they make things simple, which generally means less features ... but somehow (some) Apple fans call themselves geeks and tech enthusiasts. My brain equates Apple with anything but. I understand tech geeks liking Linux ... but Apple? No .. Apple is the brand for my mum ... my sister ... and the 'knows enough to be dangerous' tech enthusiast.

Have these 'knows enough to be dangerous' people somehow taken over the tech media? Are they morons thinking they are smart, followed by other morons who also think they are smart?

Some of them seem smart though ... and I can't work them out .. how do people that know better choose Apple? Help me understand this .. somebody?

I don't agree, not really... most people I know found that Mac guy an arrogant prick, and all sympathies were on PC guy's side.

Also... Mac has space to grow into, while Windows hasn't really got anywhere to grow, having more than 90% world wide market share. And yet, Mac market share hasn't really changed much. They are still around 5% world wide. I'm thinking, if both platforms had same percentage of switchers... say 1 in 10 users were not happy with their platform, or hated it for any irrational reason... 10% of Windows users switching to Mac would boost their global market share from 5 to almost 15%. On the other side, 10% of Mac users switching to Windows wouldn't really make a dent.

But that never happened, so... I can't say I see any real hate for MS. I did see a lot of it on some Apple forums I was following after getting iPhone back in 2009, but it is more about profile of people striving in those forums, than about MS, because that hate recently moved from MS to Google, and most of those haters would rather see WP8 than Android competing with their beloved iOS nowadays. So it looks more like hate against whoever is dominating their brand, than hate against specific brand as per se. If WP8 manages to get some decent market share, I'm sure MS will get more of that good ol' hate - not for being MS, but for being successful ;)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's so much hating Microsoft. Rather, Microsoft is perceived as the dull, boring OS one uses at work.

Other folks might still remember the truly awful versions of Windows, such as 98 and ME, or the BSOD.

I'm not aware of too many folks who hate Windows 7.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree, not really... most people I know found that Mac guy an arrogant prick, and all sympathies were on PC guy's side.

Also... Mac has space to grow into, while Windows hasn't really got anywhere to grow, having more than 90% world wide market share. And yet, Mac market share hasn't really changed much. They are still around 5% world wide. I'm thinking, if both platforms had same percentage of switchers... say 1 in 10 users were not happy with their platform, or hated it for any irrational reason... 10% of Windows users switching to Mac would boost their global market share from 5 to almost 15%. On the other side, 10% of Mac users switching to Windows wouldn't really make a dent.

But that never happened, so... I can't say I see any real hate for MS. I did see a lot of it on some Apple forums I was following after getting iPhone back in 2009, but it is more about profile of people striving in those forums, than about MS, because that hate recently moved from MS to Google, and most of those haters would rather see WP8 than Android competing with their beloved iOS nowadays. So it looks more like hate against whoever is dominating their brand, than hate against specific brand as per se. If WP8 manages to get some decent market share, I'm sure MS will get more of that good ol' hate - not for being MS, but for being successful ;)

The thing is that tablet sales are soaking up extra demand for PC's, while PC sales decline. If you add together iPad and Mac sales, I think you'd see a different story.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
But that's just it... PC sales aren't really declining. They're just not growing. Most people don't buy a tablet as a replacement, they buy it as an accessory. At least, not yet.

The irony is Apple hasn't really changed that... but Windows 8 and Windows RT might.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
But that's just it... PC sales aren't really declining. They're just not growing. Most people don't buy a tablet as a replacement, they buy it as an accessory. At least, not yet.

The irony is Apple hasn't really changed that... but Windows 8 and Windows RT might.
Well Apple found a way to sell tablets... Microsoft failed terribly...

And some people would swear that Apple created the first tablet ever.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's so much hating Microsoft. Rather, Microsoft is perceived as the dull, boring OS one uses at work.

Other folks might still remember the truly awful versions of Windows, such as 98 and ME, or the BSOD.

I'm not aware of too many folks who hate Windows 7.

This.

Microsoft doesn't get near the vitrol as it did with ME, BoB and Vista, and whatever venom directed their way is from other O/S users.

I like Microsoft. Their stuff just works.

Without the bs of an iconic spokesperson.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos