Microsofts hush hush on WP8... good or bad?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
even Windows 8 has some glaring issues reviewers are bringing up like the entirely lack luster mail client or multi-monitor behavior issues.

im going to take up issue with that quote, i mean Windows 8 isn't "out" yet, that was the whole point of Beta testing (Developer/Consumer/Release Previews)

personally speaking, i just want to know where that smart glass thing went...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft too secretive?

Do you think that Microsoft should be more transparent with release dates?
or is there another problem?

Feel free to tell you opinion about whether or not you like Microsoft's efforts to get the products to the consumers as soon as possible.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I would like to have some sort of certainty with Microsoft products and all, but it's always either a disapointment or it takes forever to be in stores.

I remember when I bought my Xbox, I fell asleep without turning it off and the CD inside melted because the console was too hot..., Mango update took forever to be pushed and WP7 should have been better... but I hope that we wont see that kind of disapointment with WP8.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Soon as MS gives a release date and they miss it, the "they cant execute", "why can apple do it" stories will be everywhere. They have probably decided its best not to give dates till they are 1000% sure they can mee them.

And you have to admit, this year the buzz has been pretty constant for Microsoft products so apart from people impatient to get the latest tech you can say they've managed their release schedule much better than the last 2 years.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
They have their business models and plans and numbers from the people they pay for such things. They are going to do things their way and in their time, I've gotten used to that. A thread on a forum isn't going to change their policy sad to say. If venting makes you feel better, that's good. Just don't expect anything from MS.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
We have been watching the launch of WP8 because we are enthusiasts. I think MS has had hopes launching Windows 8 and WP8 at the same time. I think that is the overarching goal all along. While it seems like it's being delayed or whatever, in the Redmond vacuum, I think that was their goal. Suddenly distribute all things Windows out into the world at the same time.

I could be way off, but I don't think it's inability to get their OS out, or lack of readiness by the oems or the carriers. I think this is what MS has been choreographing.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
They have their business models and plans and numbers from the people they pay for such things. They are going to do things their way and in their time, I've gotten used to that. A thread on a forum isn't going to change their policy sad to say. If venting makes you feel better, that's good. Just don't expect anything from MS.
I simply want to see different opinions

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think MS is secretive in the wrong way. The surface thing was the right way WP8 is the total wrong way at least IMO. If you listen to Windows Weekly I tend to think a lot in line with how Paul Thurrot and Mary Jo thinks.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
u mean xbox companion? that was the only one i could find that resembles it, i thought it would be called smartglass?

It's called "Xbox SmartGlass". It's in the Win8 app store. I'm running the RTM version - it may not be visible if you're running the Consumer Preview.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It's called "Xbox SmartGlass". It's in the Win8 app store. I'm running the RTM version - it may not be visible if you're running the Consumer Preview.

im running release preview, that could be the problem or they didn't release it for Canadian Marketplace :( o well, just 3 weeks left :p

thanks for the images :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There's no such thing as being too secretive here IMO.

It's worked very well for Apple in the past.

Spilling the beans about WP8 would just give competitors a chance to imitate its features sooner.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the average consumer cares that much. They aren't pulling out their hair because the release is a more vague "November" rather than a precise "November 4". The important thing is to have the release close to the big announcement, or build enough hype so that it lasts until release.

Apple's release date on the iPod Touch is more vague than the date for the Surface RT, but that doesn't stop people from whinging. While you can argue the Surface was unveiled way too early, it feels like a perception issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte