T-Mobile & Metro PCS merging = Good for WP

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hoping they will offer a good WP8 device with Metro PCS pricing. I would seriously consider kicking AT&T to the curb.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
it should be a good addition for both sides, as others said i am wondering how that will work with tmo being gsm and metro being cdma, im guessing they will migrate metro customers over to cdma

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I still don't see how Metro POS's LTE band (CDMA) will work with T-Mo's LTE (GSM).

There are no types of LTE. There's no CDMA LTE or GSM LTE. LTE is just LTE.

Go right ahead and enjoy the fastest dropped calls with Metro POS.

Actually, in Miami, MetroPCS did quite well with a minimal amount of call failures.

RootScore Report for Miami – February 2012 | RootMetrics

it should be a good addition for both sides, as others said i am wondering how that will work with tmo being gsm and metro being cdma, im guessing they will migrate metro customers over to cdma

T-Mobile will stay GSM/HSPA+. They were already planning to roll out LTE in the future. They are in the process of refarming--They are moving HSPA+ from their AWS spectrum to PCS.

MetroPCS is CDMA and LTE. Their CDMA network is on PCS, while their LTE network is on AWS.

It actually works out fine. MetroPCS I'm pretty sure was eventually going to get rid of their CDMA network (which again is on PCS). T-Mobile was moving their HSPA+ to PCS. So now T-Mobile will have more PCS spectrum for faster HSPA+.

Also, since T-Mobile was already planning to put LTE on AWS, and Metro has LTE on AWS, that works out nicely too.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
LTE is based on GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA, but it doesn't automatically mean LTE = GSM.
I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm. LTE is neither GSM or CDMA in the same manner "3G" is technology-agnostic. LTE is a marketing acronym for those who want to feel like their phones are cutting edge. Speaking of "EDGE", there was a time when that moniker was cleverly used by GSM networks to sound faster than "1xRTT". Get it now?

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm. LTE is neither GSM or CDMA in the same manner "3G" is technology-agnostic. LTE is a marketing acronym for those who want to feel like their phones are cutting edge. Speaking of "EDGE", there was a time when that moniker was cleverly used by GSM networks to sound faster than "1xRTT". Get it now?

LTE is analogous to GSM/CDMA, not a marketing acronym. LTE is a technology standard

4G would be the marketing acronym

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss