Goodbye, Lumia 920: The AT&T Exclusive Superphone Will Probably Flop

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Both, Windows Phone future depends on Nokia for the international market.
Nokia's idiocity might doom them in the states.

They are the savior but they are sucking at it.

But the states is not important than the world mate. USA is a minor skuff compare to china India etc. Nokia knows what they are doing. Nokia said they will bring each carrier a unique phone. So that rumoured 822 will likely have a smaller screen but with Nokia lumia 920 features. Why does everybody think USA is the world? Or they can do the 30 day exclusives

So you are saying windows phone will fail?. Of course it won't. T-mobile,at&t and Verizon are basically in for wp8 and win 8. And just because the 920 is exclusive to AT&T does not mean Nokia and wp are doomed. There are other phones they are gonna advertise first. T-mobile will advertise the 8X first then after the exclusive is done then they will go to the 820 and the 920. It's simple. And no winterfang. The future of wp does not depend on Nokia. It depends on ms, samsung, htc, Nokia and the carriers. Not just them

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Maybe they are giving AT&T first dibbbs because they wanted the first lumia 900 Verizon or sprint wanted nothing to do with wp7 so take it to the dome bums ya got to wait now try gambled being AT&T and embraced it. Tmob as well I think they should get a model as well but make the other two carriers wait

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
But the states is not important than the world mate. USA is a minor skuff compare to china India etc. Nokia knows what they are doing. Nokia said they will bring each carrier a unique phone. So that rumoured 822 will likely have a smaller screen but with Nokia lumia 920 features. Why does everybody think USA is the world? Or they can do the 30 day exclusives

So you are saying windows phone will fail?. Of course it won't. T-mobile,at&t and Verizon are basically in for wp8 and win 8. And just because the 920 is exclusive to AT&T does not mean Nokia and wp are doomed. There are other phones they are gonna advertise first. T-mobile will advertise the 8X first then after the exclusive is done then they will go to the 820 and the 920. It's simple. And no winterfang. The future of wp does not depend on Nokia. It depends on ms, samsung, htc, Nokia and the carriers. Not just them
why do you keep saying the states isn't important? 1 - its the largest market for high end device 2 - nokia just last week said america was the most important to a come back. And dude... China doesn't buy high end device, they buy cheap low end device.

but I do agree WP8 doesnt need nokia for success

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
But the states is not important than the world mate. USA is a minor skuff compare to china India etc. Nokia knows what they are doing. Nokia said they will bring each carrier a unique phone.

This reads like a quote from 2003.

Remember what happened?

Nokia pulled out of the US market. They couldn't compete with Palm and RIM.

Later, Google and Apple emerged from the crucible of the very tough US market with a killer product. Their vastly superior Android and iOS phones went on to completely halt significant sales of Symbian phones in those non-US markets in less than 24 months from launch.

Nokia went from a share of 49% of global smartphones to not even registering in the double digits, overnight.

That history suggests that, well, perhaps Nokia *doesn't* know what it's doing, and that repeating the same "carrier exclusive, ignore North America" business model of 2003 will perform about as poorly today as it did back then.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
A very few areas. I don't think that'll be widespread for a minute. But it's a start. Still, I use to get tmobile phones and unlock them for about 10 bucks and just settle for edge. I'm around wifi pretty much 24/7 seven. The small amount of data that's included with data plans nowadays, wifi is almost a must anyway.

The target is to have it rolled out over their existing HSPA+ network footprint by the end of 2012 with the LTE advanced rollout beginning thereafter. Plus T-mobile has a totally unlimited data plan.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Y'all don't worry, maybe Nokia is planning to release Lumia 920 variants to the other carriers. Won't you love that?

I'm quite sure they are.

This is all much ado about nothing. OEM's do carrier exclusives ALL the time. There is nothing unusual about this and it is likely inevitable that the 920 and 820 will be available on other carriers.

Lastly, why is everyone blaming NOKIA for this? Has it not occurred to any of you that your carrier of choice may be just as much to blame?

Personally I like Nokia because they have done more to help Windows Phone than any of the other OEM's who are still in bed with Android will ever do. I like AT&T because they have done more for Windows Phone than ANY of the other carriers have yet.

Again, this is just more pointless freaking out over nothing. The same kind of hysteria that drove me away from this forum for a while before when it was the ranting and raving over WP8.

Just be patient guys. Nokia wants to sell you an 820/920 as much as you want to buy one and they will. Hang in there.

aniym

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite sure they are.

This is all much ado about nothing. OEM's do carrier exclusives ALL the time. There is nothing unusual about this and it is likely inevitable that the 920 and 820 will be available on other carriers.

The problem here is two fold:

- "Carrier exclusive" is sometimes a nice way of spinning a different reality: other carriers either didn't want it or didn't offer a high enough wholesale price for the OEM to cover its costs
- "Carrier exclusive" greatly reduces the impact of marketing as people interested in the phone will lose interest as soon as they find out they have to change carriers for it.

Yes, the 920 may eventually be made available on other carriers (Verizon most likely). But staggering the launch this way makes Nokia look bad in both consumer's and investor's eyes as they create uncertainty. It also makes the September announcement seem premature. Why announce until you've got your ducks in a row and can maximize media coverage ahead of the holiday shopping season?

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is that they don't want iphone 5 grab all the attention but they can't release until nov. they can't afford being quiet for two months and watching apple get's all the market share. I have to say it worked in some sense. at least I might have upgraded to a iphone 5 or gs3 not knowing lumia 920 is coming.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll add my thoughts to the matter.

Here in the UK the L920 is going to be an EE (formly Orange and TmobileUK) Exclusive on the new 4GEE (wtf?) LTE network. I have no idea if Nokia will be releasing a no 4G/LTE device for the none LTE network in the UK.

Is this annoying? Not really... If i really want a new phone then I will go get it either unlocked or sub. Does it hurt Nokia in the overall picture? I cant predict the future so I dunno, would I do it differently? Wouldnt everyone do everything differently? Just a point the only reason I believe that the LTE version of the L920 in the UK is because EE have the only LTE network in the UK.

As far as the US market concerns it seems like alot of people are not loyal to a specfic OS but are loyal to carriers, does Nokia relize this? I am not Nokia. Does anyone no the financial benafits Nokia get from AT&T for their exlcusivity? Is it exclusive for 30 days 90 days? Does anyone actually know any details about the contract?

Another more point. I know both in the US and UK the Iphone was an exlcusive to certain networks for some time, I am totally aware Nokia are no Apple, but did that make much difference?

Apparently AT&T have backed Nokia since they came back to the US market, correct? So why would Nokia slap AT&T in the face? It's sort of a thank you for backing us...

I like the fact the everything is pure speculation. If you really really really want a L920 then go and get one... If you dont want one then get a Sammy or HTC.

No body can predict the future but we all can speculate. I love opinions on this forum but as mentioned before lets not have any personal attacks on people :D

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
This thread is now the HOTTEST in the forums now...people have to voice out their feelings and worries. I can really see the love for Windows Phone here....Microsoft needs to read this thread....lol :)

How can you equate that when it's less than 10 people repeating themselves, including you? So no, it just means less than 10 mouthy people are in disagreement with another half that doesn't care here or there whether the Lumia sells boatloads or not, but in the end just want you to shut up. Like all the way up. Buy an HTC device, by a Samsung, buy whatever Windows Phone you want. I DON'T CARE. Just be frickin' HAPPY

P.S. When you buy your 8X and the 920 has that Angry Birds suite available to it only, don't run your mouth.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
@mafu6 the L920 will be backwards compataible to 3G and 2G. So there real reason for it to be an EE exclusive but it will be the only 4G network for 6 months or so. This perhaps why they got this exclusivity, to promote 4G.

EE's 4g is only going to be in 16 UK cities by the end of 2012 so if it ran on 4G only then that is quite a severe limitation of your potential customers. If you travel to a non 4G city will your new phone work???? Of course it will but on 3G/2G.

If the L920 is also made available to TMobile & Orange customers on 3G (they can migrate to EE later) then the customer base increases which will be much better for Nokia/wp8.

Here's hoping the exclusivity period is short...:)

One really good thing though is that the 4g bands on the Nokia phones will be compatible with the spectrum that all the UK networks will receive after the auction. Unlike the iPhone 5 which is only compatible with EE's 1800mhz spectrum.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
@mafu6 the L920 will be backwards compataible to 3G and 2G. So there real reason for it to be an EE exclusive but it will be the only 4G network for 6 months or so. This perhaps why they got this exclusivity, to promote 4G.

EE's 4g is only going to be in 16 UK cities by the end of 2012 so if it ran on 4G only then that is quite a severe limitation of your potential customers. If you travel to a non 4G city will your new phone work???? Of course it will but on 3G/2G.

If the L920 is also made available to TMobile & Orange customers on 3G (they can migrate to EE later) then the customer base increases which will be much better for Nokia/wp8.

Here's hoping the exclusivity period is short...:)

One really good thing though is that the 4g bands on the Nokia phones will be compatible with the spectrum that all the UK networks will receive after the auction. Unlike the iPhone 5 which is only compatible with EE's 1800mhz spectrum.

Thanks for clearing that up, I doubt that the extra $ for a 4G/LTE network here in the uk would be worth it, especially as i dont live in a LTE area

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How can you equate that when it's less than 10 people repeating themselves, including you? So no, it just means less than 10 mouthy people are in disagreement with another half that doesn't care here or there whether the Lumia sells boatloads or not, but in the end just want you to shut up. Like all the way up. Buy an HTC device, by a Samsung, buy whatever Windows Phone you want. I DON'T CARE. Just be frickin' HAPPY

P.S. When you buy your 8X and the 920 has that Angry Birds suite available to it only, don't run your mouth.

Another hater, yeah I'm frickin happy and you are ****IN SAD! Even if we are less than 10 people, it's still hot and I don't expect someone to comment and never come back coz this is a discussion and if you wanna be a hater and not like it, go cry on your mum's boobs. To tell you the truth, I don't hate Nokia and will be getting both 920 and 8X but if a company goes wrong or ****in up, you got to let them know....another reason for the forums so if you don't like it, **** off.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up, I doubt that the extra $ for a 4G/LTE network here in the uk would be worth it, especially as i dont live in a LTE area

It will be interesting to see what EE does. If you are a businessperson living in Birmingham for example but regularly travel to other non 4g cities for work you will at best be paying for part time 4G until it becomes more widespread. Pricing should reflect this.

People won't want to pay 4g prices for a service they don't get. Either they wait until 4g comes to their area before buying or they get it on Orange/TMobile, if they can on 3G tariffs.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Another hater, yeah I'm frickin happy and you are ****IN SAD! Even if we are less than 10 people, it's still hot and I don't expect someone to comment and never come back coz this is a discussion and if you wanna be a hater and not like it, go cry on your mum's boobs. To tell you the truth, I don't hate Nokia and will be getting both 920 and 8X but if a company goes wrong or ****in up, you got to let them know....another reason for the forums so if you don't like it, **** off.

You mad.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Threads like these that are based on gut feelings should just be ignored. The phone hasn't even come out and people are declaring it a flop on no evidence.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow, lots of thoughts going on here. I will say this:

Consumers are going to think things are "stupid" or "bad" decisions because it may not help them or be what they want or envision. However, the reality is this, Nokia is trying to make money. The US market (the way it is set up with multiple carriers all using different bands some using tech that the rest of the world doesn't use) really isn't the best situation for them to get back on the right side of the dollar. I know a lot of you want them to put their phone on sprint, Verizon , etc. but you have to take this into account: Nokia has to make a different phone for Verizon, a different phone for sprint, and for t-mobile they may have to adjust or add somethings to get to work on their bands of gsm. Also take into account they have a version for ATT, Europe, etc. Those additional things are not cheap for a company who is just trying to make money and get into the positive. Also lets not forget Verizon and Sprint made a very lack luster attempt at selling the WP they did have and Sprint doesn't seem to care about WP at all. Verizon could have had a Nokia phone months ago but turned it down. The Lumia 900 was in the top three sold phone for ATT till August (I believe) and in the short time that Nokia has sold WP on their devices they have sold more phones Samsung, HTC, and LG (yuck) example 1 example 2. Also Elop said (in an interview a couple weeks ago) in Europe they should have sold exclusively to select carriers, so none of this should come as a surprise to anyone -- media included. At this point and time I really think they are trying to get in the positive, put out great hardware, and reboot the company. I don't think trying to becoming the 1# handset maker is what they are looking to do.

They are still the only WP partner putting out a device, accessories and multiple apps that people users want...Samsung nor HTC can say that.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

UtWkz.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium