Goodbye, Lumia 920: The AT&T Exclusive Superphone Will Probably Flop

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 was supposed to be the savior of Windows Phone. It was going to finally usher Windows Phone into the mainstream. It packs the right goods for the job with forward-thinking features such as wireless charging, NFC, and a gorgeous large screen. But none of that matters now. Like the Lumia 900 before, the Lumia 920 is exclusive to AT&T. And that?s just dumb.

Read More and comment: Goodbye, Lumia 920: The AT&T Exclusive Superphone Will Probably Flop | TechCrunch

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
exclusive to AT&T. And that’s just dumb.

Question is - is it really exclusive because that's the deal Nokia wanted or because nobody else wanted it and that is how they are spinning it?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 was supposed to be the savior of Windows Phone. It was going to finally usher Windows Phone into the mainstream. It packs the right goods for the job with forward-thinking features such as wireless charging, NFC, and a gorgeous large screen. But none of that matters now. Like the Lumia 900 before, the Lumia 920 is exclusive to AT&T. And that?s just dumb.

Read More and comment: Goodbye, Lumia 920: The AT&T Exclusive Superphone Will Probably Flop | TechCrunch

Looks like you are trying to advertise for another site.....

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This phone is really bringing out the worst in people, isnt it? Jealosy is such an ugly emotion...

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

that's only in the U.S. You are in Ghana.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you are trying to advertise for another site.....

CNET see it in a similar way:

The Finnish handset manufacturer's decision to strike an exclusivity agreement with AT&T for its flagship Lumia 920 means much of its hopes of breaking into the U.S. market rides on just the one carrier, which isn't the smartest decision when said carrier has a huge wave of other smartphones coming out this holiday.

While exclusivity deals were in vogue a few years ago, they've grown increasingly pass? as heavy hitters such as Apple and Samsung Electronics have opted to debut on multiple carriers, getting their phones into as many hands as possible.
"If you want to win market share in this business, as an original equipment manufacturer, you have to be able to forge multiple deals with multiple carriers for the same device," says Julian Blin, an analyst at Infonetics. "That's precisely what Apple and Samsung have done and that's why it worked so well."

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk if there is a spin or ATT paid Nokia for exclusivity, but wasn't the 900 selling well or starting to, right up to the announcement that it won't update to WP8? I think it will do OK on ATT.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What's considered a flop? I don't see it as being a big of a hit that most people think it's going to be. But a flop? I'm not seeing that either.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
As if the success of WP8 depends on how the US market does. Typical thinking.

The one market with a totally screwed up telecoms system where you can't decide for yourself what to buy and with whom to use it is obviously not the one determining the suc6 of a platform worldwide.

dream on I say..

sirgigolo

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Its probably just exclusive to At&t for a few months. Either that, or they will have their own variant of the 920.

sent from my Galaxy Note using tapatalk

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No one forces you to buy anything. If you want subsidized phone, you get one. If you want to buy a phone outright, you can do that too.

Nokia seems to think a lot of the US market. It's being announces here first, released here first. So yeah.
As if the success of WP8 depends on how the US market does. Typical thinking.

The one market with a totally screwed up telecoms system where you can't decide for yourself what to buy and with whom to use it is obviously not the one determining the suc6 of a platform worldwide.

dream on I say..

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it will "flop" BUT I'd be willing to bet the 8X out sells the 920 by a large shot.

I surely hope no one is going to be holding off with the pipedream thinking "oh it will only be exclusive for x amount of days"... the deal will be just like the lumia 900.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think HTC has better customer "mindshare" and a better marketing team. Well, they sure do in the USofA
I don't know if it will "flop" BUT I'd be willing to bet the 8X out sells the 920 by a large shot.

I surely hope no one is going to be holding off with the pipedream thinking "oh it will only be exclusive for x amount of days"... the deal will be just like the lumia 900.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think HTC has better customer "mindshare" and a better marketing team. Well, they sure do in the USofA

wasn't it the plan? HTC dominates USA and Nokia goes worldwide. And it's pretty oblivious the Worldwide is much more important than just USA. makes sense

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

in USA. yes but worldwide NO!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 920 was supposed to be the savior of Windows Phone. It was going to finally usher Windows Phone into the mainstream.

I don't think this is true. I think my making the Windows Phone 8X by HTC the Windows Phone 8 name sake device and calling it the signature device, MS was sending Nokia a message. That message was, "Hey, if you want to be the signature device and permier partner, you need wide avalibility of top tier devices, not carrier exclusives." I feel that is the main reason for the shift from giving Nokia special attention to giving it to HTC.

But yes, I do think this spells bad things for the 920 in the US, which while not the only market, is the largest market for high end devices in the world.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I see the issue. Nokia go to one carrier and get loads of promotion, or every carrier, but no promotion.

If people want the device, they can switch, buy unlocked, or wait.

The 8x and Ativ S are still wins for WP8, and great phones.

It's the same situation in the uk, and I'll be buying when I can afford to buy unlocked. That said still not 100% sure which phone to buy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion