Most people said Nokia was overrated, so why the outcry?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Also, because around here, Nokia gets a great deal of the attention. So people want to talk trash about them because their favorite OEM gets treated like a red headed step child. Why does Nokia deserve to place on a pedestal. I think this is what brings out the Nokia hate.

Plus, a lot of people on this forum are from the US and don't care if Nokia ceased to exist tomorrow.

Just check out the front page now. "What color 920 are you getting?" I bet you won't see a poll like that for HTC....well maybe now, that attention is on it, but you get the picture.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard anyone say Nokia is overrated

Where have you been? You must have missed it. I think most of those threads have been closed already though.

Also, because around here, Nokia gets a great deal of the attention. So people want to talk trash about them because their favorite OEM gets treated like a red headed step child. Why does Nokia deserve to place on a pedestal. I think this is what brings out the Nokia hate.

Plus, a lot of people on this forum are from the US and don't care if Nokia ceased to exist tomorrow.

Just check out the front page now. "What color 920 are you getting?" I bet you won't see a poll like that for HTC....well maybe now, that attention is on it, but you get the picture.

Because there's always news about Nokia because they're always doing something. They release new apps or update them often. More information keeps coming out about the Lumia. There are camera comparisons.

Meanwhile, Samsung, even though we know a lot of the specs, I feel like I still know very little about the phone. Even since the unveiling, I haven't really heard much of anything from them. So I feel like there really isn't much to say about the Ativ S other than "I hope it's on this carrier," or "I'm going to get this phone when it comes out."

HTC, I think they're kind of in the middle. At least their devices seem interesting to me, unlike Samsung's.

And you must have missed this HTC poll.

http://www.windowscentral.com/poll-which-htc-8x-windows-phone-colour-would-you-choose

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nokia is doing something? Buying exclusivity for apps..yeah that's just awesome.

Nokia drive, so MS is willing to let all other windows phone do without turn by turn or go buy some expensive app. How about improve Bing maps to make it usable.

HTC will out do Nokia, without the money stacks from MS.

Yep I missed that poll.

All this and yet they sold 650,000 lumia phones. First the 900 was suppose to be the great phone. Nope, so now it's the 920. How about Nokia prove that they can actually be a major player before people treat them like one.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is an irrelevant player in the USA, and a carrier exclusive with a late-to-market phone with a "challenger" OS isn't going to vault them into the big leagues here.

Microsoft will do better to flood the market with cheap Samsung and HTC Windows Phones and play off of both companies' large pool of US smartphone customers. But to do that, the 8X has to get cheap REALLY fast (and the ATIV S needs pricing and availability data).

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I do think the midrange phones will be the priority for Nokia and that's where the L820 is positioned. It is where they are best at.

And honestly, despite my bias for Nokia, I really hope they shock us with better news. AT&T exclusive isn't one of those news.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The problem I personally have with Nokia is that they so far had nothing that warrants them big player status.

I'm a very fact based person, Because I've being let down by promises and hype before a lot of times. I critize every phone from what they do wrong, Nokia just happens to s.crew up the most.

I have to admit though, I'm harsher against Nokia because they are currently the face of Windows Phone, so everything they do something stupid, it makes Windows Phone look bad, damaging the future of the OS.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

It is probably because Nokia is the only OEM totally committed to Windows Phone. The rest make Windows Phones as a hobby and whore out 90% of their R&D to making Android handsets.

Seeing as how Windows Phone is the "red-headed stepchild" of the phone OS world, to use your analogy, when an OEM finally comes along and gives us its full attention and the first really nice phones for our platform of choice instead of warmed over Android leftovers, a lot of us are going to have some gratitude for that OEM.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The problem I personally have with Nokia is that they so far had nothing that warrants them big player status.

I'm a very fact based person, Because I've being let down by promises and hype before a lot of times. I critize every phone from what they do wrong, Nokia just happens to s.crew up the most.

I have to admit though, I'm harsher against Nokia because they are currently the face of Windows Phone, so everything they do something stupid, it makes Windows Phone look bad, damaging the future of the OS.

As opposed to all the other OEMs which have done NOTHING for Windows Phone until very recently...

Samsung with some kind of interesting Braun razor looking phone and HTC with their cheap Lumia knockoff.

At least they are putting some effort in now though, I give them credit for that.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The only OEM that has to be 100% committed. No plan B
Those whore making a ton of money. While Nokia giving it up for crumbs.

The "first nice phones" is your opinion, nothing other than that
It is probably because Nokia is the only OEM totally committed to Windows Phone. The rest make Windows Phones as a hobby and whore out 90% of their R&D to making Android handsets.

Seeing as how Windows Phone is the "red-headed stepchild" of the phone OS world, to use your analogy, when an OEM finally comes along and gives us its full attention and the first really nice phones for our platform of choice instead of warmed over Android leftovers, a lot of us are going to have some gratitude for that OEM.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the 920 and 820 were announced the forums have been filled with threads on how Nokia was overrated, didnt bring anything to the table, the 920 was too thick and heavy, wireless charging was a gimmick, OIS doesnt matter because you didnt take pictures, etc and basically how they just should die.

Then HTC had their announcement and the sentiment intensified, with claims Nokia was dead, HTC would outsell them, beats audio was better than anything on the 920, the 8x and 8s looked better, etc.

So why all the anguish, gnashing of teeth, fervent proclamations of Nokia's demise now that its revealed it will be only on At&t? You never wanted the phone, didnt like the company, couldnt care less if they went bankrupt or not so its a bit strange to see forums filled with Nokia hate (guess thats nothing new) and at least 1 tech site already calling them a flop.

What gives?

Yes. This-- exactly.

I'm not interested in engaging all the whining people are doing about this announcement... and especially when people are just reacting to one small bit of news rather than intelligently waiting for actual information.

We don't know how long the exclusive is, nor do we know how exclusive it really is... 922? 822? We don't know whether this was AT&T, Verizon, or Nokia's insistence.

All this whining is why I've minimized my posting here this week. It's constant whining, and you know what they say-- if you don't like something, don't engage in it. Well, the whining has escalated to plague status on so many posts, I just stopped coming to post this week.

And YES-- to those asking-- it's from a lot of the same people, because they're just looking for some means to justify their dislike/disapproval of Nokia.

Frankly, it's aggravating, because I guarantee in 30-90 days, we're gonna see the 920 on some other carrier, and people are gonna whine that it took so long, and OMG, I should have waited! Why couldn't they have done this 3 months ago? etc. And really, how quickly we forget that only a month ago we were anticipating it ONLY coming to AT&T anyway... we got ONE unconfirmed speculative rumor about it coming to Verizon and somehow we rush to assume it was true? Give me a break.

Bottom line... people whine for sake of whining. I feel like I'm whining now about whiners, which is equally pointless, I suppose.

I just wish people could see the bigger picture and promote the platform and be thrilled that we have so many options to pick from... and they're all good options.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The "whining" people probably don't care to engage the Nokia fanboys. But each group post on threads created for each side. So if ya didn't care to engage them, why post.

Not knowing how long the exclusive is, still makes it an exclusive. There was a "wait until tomorrow" rumor that popped up. Well, that day came and went. And the exclusive article on the front page was backtracking at its finest.

All in all, if you're offended by the pro/anti Nokia post, don't go in there.

#DownWithNokia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb