Most people said Nokia was overrated, so why the outcry?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nobody bothered to answer my reply, they just went "LOL winter doesn't use facts" he is a troll.

Is like Nokia fans are fans of mediocrity.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
When people don't like what a particular OEM is offering, that's fine. When they've had a bad experience and dislike the OEM that's fine. Talking about their personal experience is a means of sharing socially.

When they are **** bent on stating their opinions as fact, think themselves experts in business and marketing enough to call others stupid, and are unable to admit the positives of a product (even if they personally won't get it),... well, to me that shows that a person is being irrational.

It may be due to social abnormalities, being a spoiled brat, being a smug elitist, or just being bored and kind of a jerk.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think MS and Nokia created a problem they didn't plan on. Nokia has exclusive apps and releasing their top of the line on one US carrier. So people on other carriers are pissed. So to tell them to just get the HTC phone is irrational. So now those with the new HTC phone now may miss out on some good exclusives. Its a hard spot to be in for them.

People seem to be more concerned about nokia rather than the overall positive growth of WP OS.

The entire approach seems.to be poorly thought out.
Nobody bothered to answer my reply, they just went "LOL winter doesn't use facts" he is a troll.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think MS and Nokia created a problem they didn't plan on. Nokia has exclusive apps and releasing their top of the line on one US carrier. So people on other carriers are pissed....

People seem to be more concerned about nokia rather than the overall positive growth of WP OS.

Now THAT'S a well-stated argument, and you're exactly right about it.

The exclusive apps are a good marketing tool for Nokia AND Windows Phone. BUT, it's contradicted by the exclusive carrier choice. I can understand why they do the apps, but they have dropped the ball sticking to one carrier.

Now a consumer has to switch carriers AND hardware maker to get something they may want, and that's not a good thing, because it really does reduce customer choice.

It's an approach Apple was successful with ONLY because of market conditions in 2007/2008, and the market is too competitive now for it to ever work again.

As for people being concerned about Nokia's failure or success over WP OS success, I agree there too, which is why you don't see me posting rants and anger over HTC or Samsung. I actually really like those products and options. I just choose Nokia because photography and screen usage are important to me, and their results are being proven over and over.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Well the big difference between Nokia fans and Nokia haters, is that the Nokia haters are either extremely immature, or just legitimately young children. See above for examples.

I feel like I should be paid babysitting money every time I am posting in a thread with Winterfang.

DEATH TO NOKIA. If anyone asks me for a phone recommendation I will say "anything but Nokia garbage".

I feel the same way about Verizon.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree with some others here. The whining going on here since the Nokia launch has really made this place less enjoyable. It is just a handful of posters/trolls that feel the need to chime in with their opinions in every Nokia thread about how Nokia let them down without, Nokia is killing WP, Nokia killed their puppy, etc etc. There are posters here that do make valid criticisms about Nokia and I can live with that since they are level headed comments, and not end of the world antics.

If you find other OEMs or mobile OS that suits you better then by all means support those causes, but stop with the trolling. It's more fun to be positive about something you like than it is to be constantly negative, unless you enjoy getting a rise out of people.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Now THAT'S a well-stated argument, and you're exactly right about it.

The exclusive apps are a good marketing tool for Nokia AND Windows Phone. BUT, it's contradicted by the exclusive carrier choice. I can understand why they do the apps, but they have dropped the ball sticking to one carrier.

Now a consumer has to switch carriers AND hardware maker to get something they may want, and that's not a good thing, because it really does reduce customer choice.

It's an approach Apple was successful with ONLY because of market conditions in 2007/2008, and the market is too competitive now for it to ever work again.

As for people being concerned about Nokia's failure or success over WP OS success, I agree there too, which is why you don't see me posting rants and anger over HTC or Samsung. I actually really like those products and options. I just choose Nokia because photography and screen usage are important to me, and their results are being proven over and over.
I feel the same way. I really enjoy the extra app support that Nokia provides and that is my third factor for choosing Nokia for my next Windows Phone.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
As Theefman and GT2L stated, I'm more interested in the advancement and proliferation of WP OS, the Marketing behind it(or gross lack thereof), and the development of devices to support it. I am not one to switch carriers simply for the device they offer. Exclusivity, to me, means I will most likely never own that device. The way contracts are done with U.S. carriers, by the time any exclusivity contracts expire and a particular device is available to the rest of the market, there is a huge possibility that there is something much better, more advanced coming within the next few months anyway so it becomes even older tech than it was the day it was released initially.

All this does for Windows Phone at this juncture in it's development is make it less appealing to the consumer than it already is. People want something that works and is supported well. The way this is being marketed, it's still nothing more than a niche item. Until they, Microsoft and OEM builders, come out big for this device and seriously push it into the main stream conscious, that is where it will remain.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

I will argue that fans of other camps are not exactly rational either. The fans of Apple are the most obvious, but Android believers can be scary too.

I do believe that Nokia's potential with its spending on R&D, and translating into actual product innovation is something to be impressed with. What I do not agree is with Nokia's poor marketing.

WP's survival will not count on Nokia alone, they are the standard bearer yes. But definitely not the only company that matters

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The "whining" people probably don't care to engage the Nokia fanboys. But each group post on threads created for each side. So if ya didn't care to engage them, why post.

Not knowing how long the exclusive is, still makes it an exclusive. There was a "wait until tomorrow" rumor that popped up. Well, that day came and went. And the exclusive article on the front page was backtracking at its finest.

All in all, if you're offended by the pro/anti Nokia post, don't go in there.

#DownWithNokia

so don't come to the forums is what you're saying lol

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
When people don't like what a particular OEM is offering, that's fine. When they've had a bad experience and dislike the OEM that's fine. Talking about their personal experience is a means of sharing socially.

When they are **** bent on stating their opinions as fact, think themselves experts in business and marketing enough to call others stupid, and are unable to admit the positives of a product (even if they personally won't get it),... well, to me that shows that a person is being irrational.

It may be due to social abnormalities, being a spoiled brat, being a smug elitist, or just being bored and kind of a jerk.

Bingo

aniym

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
thing is, as someone else has mentioned already, if NOK fails, WP8 goes down with it as well. Everyone in this forum wants WP8 to do well; they may be less concerned with the fortunes of individual OEMs; surely there will be room for others if the platform as a whole takes off.

The issue I have is with Nokia's premier position in the WP lineup. They botched it once already with their self-aggrandizing advertising and the embarassing sales figures for the 900. Just to remind people, the 7 million Lumia sales include the 800 and 710 as well.

Now they are on track to botch it again. Let's leave carrier exclusivity out of this for a second. I personally focus more on the 2 month gap between announcement and launch. All the hype that was built up will have disappeared by early November because very few people will remember the key features that initially generated interested in the 920.

I also don't trust Nokia to be able to effectively advertise the differentiating features of the 920 in a way that regular people can relate to. The whole grand announcement of "Beta Test is Over" and the subsequent and very public flop reminds consumers that Nokia is a near-dead brand. Unfortunately Nokia is trying this again by not only taking shots at the iPhone for its lack of colours (when NA carriers have already limited the choice of colours to black and white!) but also at other WP8 OEMs. It just looks desperate.

Samsung does the same thing with the Android Galaxy series, but they didn't start until the Galaxy S had become a successful brand. Additionally, Samsung makes sure its ads reach the maximum audience, by launching across all carriers simultaneously. This is where I mention carrier exclusivity. Anyone interested in the 920 in North America and not on the right carrier will immediately forget about it and go with another phone...maybe HTC 8X, maybe not. Even if the 920 launches on other carriers within 3 months, does anyone think people will wait that long, 'just in case' it launches elsewhere?

Nokia's made too many wrong turns since the whole WP7 project. Some were their fault (launching the 900 on a holiday, carrier-exclusive) and some they had no control over (no upgrade path to WP8). If NOK fails, WP8 as a whole will suffer collateral damage, and we might need to wait another 2 years for the next iteration of WP to 'fix everything'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo