Nokia Drive where is it on HTC and Samsung?

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The recently leaked video on the gentlemen going through a HTC 8X revealed an improved maps app, but not Nokia Drive (Nokia Drive is the GPS app, not just improved mapping services. Improved mapping like offline maps is clearly now included with Microsoft Maps in WP8) which is supposed to be bundled with all WP8 phones.

Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

I have to assume that Nokia and Microsoft would want it build into WP8 so that app developers could interact with Nokia Drive instead of Microsoft Maps. This way I don't have to copy and paste directions into Nokia Drive, but instead clicking on an address could begin to route me right away.

Maybe the App will be a seperate download for all non-Nokia WP8 devices?

Do we have any updates on Nokia Drive for HTC and Samsung phones? I realize that was an early build of WP8 being shown off in the video -- could this integration be something they are holding back?

Also, I think it is a great idea for Nokia to share Nokia Drive. Yes it is one less awesome Nokia exclusive feature for Nokia phones, but it makes WP8 that much more appealing and more talk about WP8 and more WP8 buyers in the market is ultimately a good thing for Nokia.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So you think once you hit the directions button within Microsoft Maps it becomes Nokia Drive?

I just hope HTC and Samsung phones will have turn-by-turn navigation that doesn't require you to tap the screen.

It won't it will have turn by turn navigation. it uses Nokia maps tech and likely you won't need to tap the screen and here's the maps app. it's the same but when you tap direction it would say the directions
maps3_thumb.jpg

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It won't it will have turn by turn navigation. it uses Nokia maps tech and likely you won't need to tap the screen and here's the maps app. it's the same but when you tap direction it would say the directions Click to view quoted image
That isn't Nokia drive then. That is why I asked about Nokia Drive. Nokia Drive the name of their GPS app currently on the Lumia 800 and 900. If Nokia Drive is what is being shared with all other devices -- I would expect Nokia Drive. Not Nokia maps. Nokia Maps are already built into WP7 as Bing is based off Nokia maps.

Nokia Drive provides routing AI, etc...

In this Nokia PR they are showing Nokia Drive graphics: http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/06/20/nokia-drive-for-all-windows-phone-8-smartphones/ indicating that all WP8 devices will have Full Nokia Drive.

Image from Nokia (via Amazon S3) -- notice it shows Nokia Drive on a HTC and Samsung WP device?

Nokia-Drive-for-OEMs-star.jpg

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That isn't Nokia drive then. That is why I asked about Nokia Drive. Nokia Drive the name of their GPS app currently on the Lumia 800 and 900. If Nokia Drive is what is being shared with all other devices -- I would expect Nokia Drive. Not Nokia maps. Nokia Maps are already built into WP7 as Bing is based off Nokia maps.

Could be a separate download from the MP as an option rather than preloaded to cut down on storage usage for lower memory devices.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

In this Nokia PR they are showing Nokia Drive graphics: Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog indicating that all WP8 devices will have Full Nokia Drive.

Image from Nokia (via Amazon S3) -- notice it shows Nokia Drive on a HTC and Samsung WP device?

Click to view quoted image
then it's the Nokia drive app then

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

In this Nokia PR they are showing Nokia Drive graphics: Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog indicating that all WP8 devices will have Full Nokia Drive.

Click to view quoted image

I do not think it will be a stand alone app per say. I think it will likely work very similarly to how Bing maps and nav work now. You go into maps, find where you want to go, and nav launches. Only instead of nav being a MS built product it will be a version of Nokia Drive.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If you want an app called "Nokia Drive," you'll need to pay an ETF with your carrier and switch to AT&T to get a Lumia device with WP8.

If you want an app that uses Nokia maps to provide turn-by-turn voice directions, you just need to pick up any of the WP8 handsets your current carrier is offering, since that's a standard part of the basic WP8 installation.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
If you want an app called "Nokia Drive," you'll need to pay an ETF with your carrier and switch to AT&T to get a Lumia device with WP8.

If you want an app that uses Nokia maps to provide turn-by-turn voice directions, you just need to pick up any of the WP8 handsets your current carrier is offering, since that's a standard part of the basic WP8 installation.

Not true. It will provide turn by turn, but not voice.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you need a Nokia which is available on the top three carriers

Sent from something uhmayzing using my pinkie

Austin Riley

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I had a Nokia Lumia 900 Nokia drive is a fantastic app i have changed carriers to Verizon and ill tell you right now, trying to drive using the P.O.S directions maps gives you doesn't help. To top it off to use Verizon's turn by turn id have to pay $2 a month or buy the Garmin app for $30. Honestly would never buy the Nokia 822 it just isn't an appealing phone but i even read an article reviewing Nokia drive that said on wp7 yes it would only be on Nokia's but according to the article it would be available on all wp8 phones obviously this is not true at the moment but is it a plan for the future?

Because i really don't feel like paying to use Verizon's and the Garmin apps reviews all say its a below average app for the money I suppose since Nokia drive works off network i might try and see if i can just use my old 900 as a stand alone gps...........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers