10-08-2012 07:48 PM
74 123
tools
    I'm grabbing an 8X on T-Mo when it's available. Nokia's inability to successfully launch and price a mainstream handset has me convinced that they're not going to be a viable choice in the US marketplace, especially in a world where Samsung, Apple, HTC and even RIM can sell top-flight devices on every carrier.

Samsung could change my mind with a competitively priced ATIV S on T-Mo. And sure, I'd definitely buy a 920 on T-Mo as well, but that seems unlikely.
    Winterfang likes this.
    10-05-2012 12:43 PM
    I'm grabbing an 8X on T-Mo when it's available. Nokia's inability to successfully launch and price a mainstream handset has me convinced that they're not going to be a viable choice in the US marketplace, especially in a world where Samsung, Apple, HTC and even RIM can sell top-flight devices on every carrier.

Samsung could change my mind with a competitively priced ATIV S on T-Mo. And sure, I'd definitely buy a 920 on T-Mo as well, but that seems unlikely.
    Ah. Because Samsung and HTC have priced and given dates for their handsets, right?
    10-05-2012 12:56 PM
    Samsung and HTC have priced and given dates for their handsets, right?
    HTC certainly has. The 8X will be available on contract from 12 November on AT&T and T-Mobile, with a price of $199 on contract. Verizon is also expected to sell the handset but has given no pricing and only a "mid November" target.

Now, how much is the Lumia 920 going to cost on AT&T, and when can I buy one? Ooops. Still don't know.
    10-05-2012 12:59 PM
    Didn't you just say you were looking at the Ativ?

As for me, I'm not hey Diva-like. I can wait without feeling upset.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-05-2012 01:16 PM
    We all know the 920 (or something like it) will be on Verizon eventually.
    How do we know that? Sony sells some really cool Android handsets. They're on AT&T but not Verizon, and not just for a 30-day period. How do we know Nokia isn't about to do the same with the 920?
    10-05-2012 02:18 PM
    How do we know that? Sony sells some really cool Android handsets. They're on AT&T but not Verizon, and not just for a 30-day period. How do we know Nokia isn't about to do the same with the 920?
    it's likely they are not doing that. they have to do exclusives and while putting it on other Carriers and get the carriers to advertise the phone
    10-05-2012 02:56 PM
    To be fair, the 8X is lighter, has beats audio, the HTC hub and has a higher PPI display.

And to be fair to the L920, it has a Camera with OIS, Wireless Charging, Super Sensitive Touchscreen, PureMotion high refresh display, Nokia apps and a physically bigger display.

:)

The 8X also has a dedicated amp for sound output which will increase the audio quality dramatically.
    10-05-2012 03:01 PM
    Well, technically I dont KNOW know. :) Your Sony example doesn't really apply because no Sony devices are ever on Verizon. The 822 is coming to Verizon and I will not believe that Nokia would waste time building a CDMA 822 if that is all they were bringing to Verizon.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-05-2012 03:10 PM
    HTC certainly has. The 8X will be available on contract from 12 November on AT&T and T-Mobile, with a price of $199 on contract. Verizon is also expected to sell the handset but has given no pricing and only a "mid November" target.

Now, how much is the Lumia 920 going to cost on AT&T, and when can I buy one? Ooops. Still don't know.
    Yeah seriously. We all know how important pricing and availability dates trump the simple idea of just wanting a device because we want it.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-05-2012 03:40 PM
    So??? Nothing special happened today @vagrantwade
    10-05-2012 04:05 PM
    Didn't you just say you were looking at the Ativ?
    I said I was considering the ATIV (assuming it's available). Oh, and the 920.

I'm not hey Diva-like.
    I wouldn't say "diva like." More "oh Ms. THAAAANG!" :D
    10-05-2012 05:38 PM
    Yeah seriously. We all know how important pricing and availability dates trump the simple idea of just wanting a device because we want it.
    I want a Palm Pre IV too.

Want means nothing without availability -- especially when it's a "do or die" device for its manufacturer.
    10-05-2012 05:39 PM
    Why post this after it's already been announced as an ATT exclusive?
    Because there is NO way Nokia can't just come out with a "925" or something in 3-6 months on Verizon, right?

Have some faith.

The "exclusive" does not mean there will never ever ever be anything like the 920 on another carrier. Nokia wants to sell phones. They have to sell phones. If you really believe that there isn't going to be a 920 or a very 920-like device on Verizon I think you're being needlessly pessimistic.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-05-2012 06:18 PM
    Its not about Verizon getting a 920 one day, its about it being available at launch. How many people wanna wait 30-90 days on a exclusive deal when the new nexus phones, and other wp8 phones will already have been available. If Vzw people have to wait multiple months for a phone, odds are gen 2 wp8 phones will be at MWC and getting prepped for release. So Nokia is in a pickle if they want Vzw customers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Nurgling and aximtreo like this.
    10-05-2012 06:26 PM

T-mobile is a third rate carrier. If you want the best and latest phones you don't go with a carrier like that. It's pretty simple. T-Mobile is almost always going to get the best stuff last or not at all.

Maybe the merger with MetroPCS will change that, but it's certainly not Nokia's fault. Look to your carrier if you want to place blame.
    10-05-2012 06:32 PM
    Everyone keeps saying that people should be patient, and surely Nokia will make the 920 (or a variant of it) available on other carriers. What evidence possibly points to that?

I don't recall the 900 ever making the jump to Verizon or T-Mobile, and see no reason to suspect that things will change this time. If I'm wrong, then at the very least, Nokia is doing a crap job keeping their potential customers happy.
    10-05-2012 10:07 PM
    I'm not sweating it. If it happens, I'll get one. If it doesn't, I'll get one of the new nexus phones. I'm not at all dissatisfied with android, I just really liked the 920, and thought something different would be nice. It's Nokia's loss not mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    10-05-2012 10:12 PM
    I'm not sweating it. If it happens, I'll get one. If it doesn't, I'll get one of the new nexus phones. I'm not at all dissatisfied with android, I just really liked the 920, and thought something different would be nice. It's Nokia's loss not mine.

A Sony or LG nexus would be pretty sweet. I enjoy WP a bit more but jelly bean is fantastic as well. I'm buying off contract so price will definitely be a factor. After all, they all do pretty much the same thing.
    10-05-2012 10:46 PM

It's unlikely that the next Nexus will be on Verizon because of the really, really slow updates even though it's a "nexus" device.

I am still trying to move away from Android, Android has this problem that after two months it just starts to LAG! Even my Galaxy Nexus lags on JELLY BEAN! So I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to upgrade to the 920! And I can't switch carriers, I can only stay on Verizon. PLEASE NOKIA HAVE THE 920 ON VERIZON!!!
    10-06-2012 01:06 AM
    Everyone keeps saying that people should be patient, and surely Nokia will make the 920 (or a variant of it) available on other carriers. What evidence possibly points to that?

I don't recall the 900 ever making the jump to Verizon or T-Mobile, and see no reason to suspect that things will change this time. If I'm wrong, then at the very least, Nokia is doing a crap job keeping their potential customers happy.
    The 900 didn't jump likely because of the WP7 upgrade fiasco and the other 2 companies are likely to know that for business discussions under NDA.

I agree that Nokia's doing a crap job making people happy. WP8 is hopefully a game changer enough to allow Nokia products on every single carrier.
    10-06-2012 01:16 AM
    It's unlikely that the next Nexus will be on Verizon because of the really, really slow updates even though it's a "nexus" device.

I am still trying to move away from Android, Android has this problem that after two months it just starts to LAG! Even my Galaxy Nexus lags on JELLY BEAN! So I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to upgrade to the 920! And I can't switch carriers, I can only stay on Verizon. PLEASE NOKIA HAVE THE 920 ON VERIZON!!!
    That's weird, my nexus doesn't lag at all. My razr did, but the nexus has been smooth. As long as you don't use an app killer or antivirus (neither is needed) it shouldn't be lagging. Maybe try wiping cache?

Either or, I am still holding out hope that Verizon won't be left out of this. I have had some bad luck with HTC over the years so that's just not an option for me, and I'm not truly sold on the Sammy w8 phone because it looks like a repurposed gs3. I don't want to get a phone that was a second thought. So basically it is a 920 or a variant of it if I am to get a Windows device.

10-06-2012 01:42 AM
    I want a Palm Pre IV too.

Want means nothing without availability -- especially when it's a "do or die" device for its manufacturer.
    Ah but see you're confusing the scenario. I was addressing your comment about not having knowledge on the availability and pricing and unlike your mythical Palm Pre IV and lack of aforementioned detailes, nevertheless we all know the 920 is going to be on AT&T. Hence, my reply.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-06-2012 05:14 AM
    Edit wrong topic
    10-06-2012 08:51 AM
    Is "tomorrow" again, where's the Verizon announcement?
    Mandos likes this.
    10-06-2012 09:21 AM
    Kind of how I feel. I'd like to give WP8 a try, but if I do I'd like to go with the 920. I need to stay with Verizon, so it basically comes down to which phone drops first, new nexus or 920.
    twincamfxd likes this.
    10-06-2012 10:01 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD