The 920 is obviously coming to Verizon so just stop *EDIT* Or not.

Kaztronic HD7

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying that people should be patient, and surely Nokia will make the 920 (or a variant of it) available on other carriers. What evidence possibly points to that?

I don't recall the 900 ever making the jump to Verizon or T-Mobile, and see no reason to suspect that things will change this time. If I'm wrong, then at the very least, Nokia is doing a crap job keeping their potential customers happy.

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sweating it. If it happens, I'll get one. If it doesn't, I'll get one of the new nexus phones. I'm not at all dissatisfied with android, I just really liked the 920, and thought something different would be nice. It's Nokia's loss not mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sweating it. If it happens, I'll get one. If it doesn't, I'll get one of the new nexus phones. I'm not at all dissatisfied with android, I just really liked the 920, and thought something different would be nice. It's Nokia's loss not mine.

A Sony or LG nexus would be pretty sweet. I enjoy WP a bit more but jelly bean is fantastic as well. I'm buying off contract so price will definitely be a factor. After all, they all do pretty much the same thing.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

It's unlikely that the next Nexus will be on Verizon because of the really, really slow updates even though it's a "nexus" device.

I am still trying to move away from Android, Android has this problem that after two months it just starts to LAG! Even my Galaxy Nexus lags on JELLY BEAN! So I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to upgrade to the 920! And I can't switch carriers, I can only stay on Verizon. PLEASE NOKIA HAVE THE 920 ON VERIZON!!!

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying that people should be patient, and surely Nokia will make the 920 (or a variant of it) available on other carriers. What evidence possibly points to that?

I don't recall the 900 ever making the jump to Verizon or T-Mobile, and see no reason to suspect that things will change this time. If I'm wrong, then at the very least, Nokia is doing a crap job keeping their potential customers happy.

The 900 didn't jump likely because of the WP7 upgrade fiasco and the other 2 companies are likely to know that for business discussions under NDA.

I agree that Nokia's doing a crap job making people happy. WP8 is hopefully a game changer enough to allow Nokia products on every single carrier.

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It's unlikely that the next Nexus will be on Verizon because of the really, really slow updates even though it's a "nexus" device.

I am still trying to move away from Android, Android has this problem that after two months it just starts to LAG! Even my Galaxy Nexus lags on JELLY BEAN! So I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to upgrade to the 920! And I can't switch carriers, I can only stay on Verizon. PLEASE NOKIA HAVE THE 920 ON VERIZON!!!

That's weird, my nexus doesn't lag at all. My razr did, but the nexus has been smooth. As long as you don't use an app killer or antivirus (neither is needed) it shouldn't be lagging. Maybe try wiping cache?

Either or, I am still holding out hope that Verizon won't be left out of this. I have had some bad luck with HTC over the years so that's just not an option for me, and I'm not truly sold on the Sammy w8 phone because it looks like a repurposed gs3. I don't want to get a phone that was a second thought. So basically it is a 920 or a variant of it if I am to get a Windows device.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I want a Palm Pre IV too.

Want means nothing without availability -- especially when it's a "do or die" device for its manufacturer.

Ah but see you're confusing the scenario. I was addressing your comment about not having knowledge on the availability and pricing and unlike your mythical Palm Pre IV and lack of aforementioned detailes, nevertheless we all know the 920 is going to be on AT&T. Hence, my reply.

SteveL

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

Kind of how I feel. I'd like to give WP8 a try, but if I do I'd like to go with the 920. I need to stay with Verizon, so it basically comes down to which phone drops first, new nexus or 920.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
If they fixed the problems that took me off of WP 7 (lack of text reflow and poor PDF and file management functionality), then I will go with whatever turns out to be the top end Verizon phone as Verizon's network is so much better than the others it isn't even a contest.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am helplessly optimistic, so forgive me if you want to stay mad. And if you have read my following post in the 8 other places I have said it, please forgive me and keep scrolling.

But, yes, Verizon will get a high end, 920-ish device. How can I be so sure? Well, allow me to submit to the jury my completely circumstantial arguments:

1) AT&T not only has the exclusive on the 920, they SHOULD. The 900 launch with Hero device honors was so important to Nokia. Just to get a carrier to get their name in lights again and get the consumer to think on their device was HUGE. No doubt in my mind Nokia was willing to give AT&T a bump just out of gratitude. But....

2) Nokia can count. 110 MILLION (Dr. Evil accent) customers. 30-35 MILLION contracts every year for upgrade. New customers every quarter. This is what Verizon brings. Nokia needs sales. Like NOW. There will be a 920 varient because that is what Nokia needs to survive, and that is what Mr. Elop needs to keep his cushy CEO chair at Nokia HQ. Bank on it: Big Red is getting a top end Nokia before long.

3) This is not WP 7. This is WP8. This is what Nokia has been pointing to since the "burning platform" memo leaked. There is not just 2 Nokia's coming out this time. Or even three. Or four. This is like Samsung or HTC on Andriod- top end devices will come, mid range devices will come, follow up devices will come, the devices in-between the the follow up devices will come. Each carrier will get as many devices as they want and Nokia will then pitch more. They are being held up by the release of WP8, and nothing more. We phone geeks want devices on launch day, casual customers will be glad to grab the best thing that is there when they need it. Most users walk into a store every two years or so, see what's there, and grab another device for two years. Nokia will be ALL OVER those users. If you want a top end Nokia and want to stay on Verizon, rest assured. There is one coming.

4) If not, I will look stupid. I put both Ballmer and Elop in the corner for the whole "not bringing WP8 to existing devices" and told them both to straighten up. They WILL bring a 920 varient to Verizon because they promised not to make me look dumb again.

That's my Wife and kids job.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I am helplessly optimistic, so forgive me if you want to stay mad. And if you have read my following post in the 8 other places I have said it, please forgive me and keep scrolling.

But, yes, Verizon will get a high end, 920-ish device. How can I be so sure? Well, allow me to submit to the jury my completely circumstantial arguments:

1) AT&T not only has the exclusive on the 920, they SHOULD. The 900 launch with Hero device honors was so important to Nokia. Just to get a carrier to get their name in lights again and get the consumer to think on their device was HUGE. No doubt in my mind Nokia was willing to give AT&T a bump just out of gratitude. But....

2) Nokia can count. 110 MILLION (Dr. Evil accent) customers. 30-35 MILLION contracts every year for upgrade. New customers every quarter. This is what Verizon brings. Nokia needs sales. Like NOW. There will be a 920 varient because that is what Nokia needs to survive, and that is what Mr. Elop needs to keep his cushy CEO chair at Nokia HQ. Bank on it: Big Red is getting a top end Nokia before long.

3) This is not WP 7. This is WP8. This is what Nokia has been pointing to since the "burning platform" memo leaked. There is not just 2 Nokia's coming out this time. Or even three. Or four. This is like Samsung or HTC on Andriod- top end devices will come, mid range devices will come, follow up devices will come, the devices in-between the the follow up devices will come. Each carrier will get as many devices as they want and Nokia will then pitch more. They are being held up by the release of WP8, and nothing more. We phone geeks want devices on launch day, casual customers will be glad to grab the best thing that is there when they need it. Most users walk into a store every two years or so, see what's there, and grab another device for two years. Nokia will be ALL OVER those users. If you want a top end Nokia and want to stay on Verizon, rest assured. There is one coming.

4) If not, I will look stupid. I put both Ballmer and Elop in the corner for the whole "not bringing WP8 to existing devices" and told them both to straighten up. They WILL bring a 920 varient to Verizon because they promised not to make me look dumb again.

We can only hope. They are taking so long that I'm not hyped up anymore. Not sure if I even want to upgrade anymore to anything. Seriously.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

Even IF they have a variant, it might not have all the features! Like the PureMotion HD+ display could be missing, etc. you know what I mean. Maybe not all features will come.

That is why I want a 920, not a VARIANT. It's sad either way that it is exclusive.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Even IF they have a variant, it might not have all the features! Like the PureMotion HD+ display could be missing, etc. you know what I mean. Maybe not all features will come.

That is why I want a 920, not a VARIANT. It's sad either way that it is exclusive.
Legitimate concern. I totally get it. I just see no advantage to Nokia not including all the goodies if they want to survive. I just can't see Elop not going all in. His severance package can't be that good.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Legitimate concern. I totally get it. I just see no advantage to Nokia not including all the goodies if they want to survive. I just can't see Elop not going all in. His severance package can't be that good.

Maybe the Verizon 922 will have a qwerty keyboard. :D

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the Verizon 922 will have a qwerty keyboard. :D

I hope not lol. Besides, Big Red already has a qwerty smartphone and I don't think it is selling as well as they had hoped so they may be a little gun-shy on that.

I hope to see verizon field a 920 with an extra digit. Same phone, same colors, same features. That phone is perfect in my eyes.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If it's "obviously" coming to Verizon, then you're saying Nokia is "obviously" lying when they explicitly say it's an AT&T exclusive on Nokia's website. So either they are idiots, or they aren't being honest with their customers. Awesome.

Nokia Lumia 920 - Windows Phone with PureView Camera - Nokia - USA

So you post on a Friday and expect some big news on a Saturday (10/6)? People can spin this however they like but exclusive means exclusive. If a 922 is brought out after the 920 has been announced as an AT&T exclusive, and it is essentially the same phone, lawsuits will likely follow from AT&T and Microsoft will probably not step in to help Nokia. If a 922 is announced after people can pre-order the 920, then there would be options for class action suits from anyone who broke a contract to get the phone. Exclusive means exclusive and it will be exclusive until the negotiated term expires. Remarkably stupid though it may be, it means what it means.

The joke is that it is probably based upon the fact that VZW has yet to formally announce ANY WP8 devices and Nokia calculated how long it would be before VZW could get the phone to market, or that Nokia is not confident VZW is really committed at all. They then slap an exclusive tag on a product to give it an air of prominence. A bad and stupid decision. The same can be said of VZW's continuing silence three weeks short of the platform launch, unless they plan to pull a repeat of the WP7 one and out strategy and only get in if the platform takes off.

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So you post on a Friday and expect some big news on a Saturday (10/6)? People can spin this however they like but exclusive means exclusive. If a 922 is brought out after the 920 has been announced as an AT&T exclusive, and it is essentially the same phone, lawsuits will likely follow from AT&T and Microsoft will probably not step in to help Nokia. If a 922 is announced after people can pre-order the 920, then there would be options for class action suits from anyone who broke a contract to get the phone. Exclusive means exclusive and it will be exclusive until the negotiated term expires. Remarkably stupid though it may be, it means what it means.

The joke is that it is probably based upon the fact that VZW has yet to formally announce ANY WP8 devices and Nokia calculated how long it would be before VZW could get the phone to market, or that Nokia is not confident VZW is really committed at all. They then slap an exclusive tag on a product to give it an air of prominence. A bad and stupid decision. The same can be said of VZW's continuing silence three weeks short of the platform launch, unless they plan to pull a repeat of the WP7 one and out strategy and only get in if the platform takes off.

exclusive does not necessarily mean exclusive....what matters is what is written in the contract. in the videogame world we have seen many occassions of games being called exclusive that end up only being temporary so.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

TBH, as soon as you said Dr. Evil voice, I heard the rest of your post that way. It was awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss