New features spotted!!

calvininmotion1

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
So, apparently Microsoft still had alot in it sleeve but not this time >:}
I've seen the video from test-mobile.com about the Lumia 920. Its a great proof that the OS is stable and bla bla bla but what's interesting is the fact there are minor yet great features they uncovered.
1. Multitask now has more than 5 or 8(rumored) limit....almost limitless!!
2. New tile animation. The music tile didn't flip to show the Xbox logo, actually it swiped right and left. Its only on the large tile though which means each size will have its own animation style.
3. Everytime he presses start, Windows shows the app list first then the Start screen. Dunno if it's important though!!

That's it -_-

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
So, apparently Microsoft still had alot in it sleeve but not this time >:}
I've seen the video from test-mobile.com about the Lumia 920. Its a great proof that the OS is stable and bla bla bla but what's interesting is the fact there are minor yet great features they uncovered.
1. Multitask now has more than 5 or 8(rumored) limit....almost limitless!!
2. New tile animation. The music tile didn't flip to show the Xbox logo, actually it swiped right and left. Its only on the large tile though which means each size will have its own animation style.
3. Everytime he presses start, Windows shows the app list first then the Start screen. Dunno if it's important though!!

That's it -_-

I saw that video also...I'll post some screen shots of things i saw that looked new or I had questions about. But you are correct he had 8 apps (Start, People, Nokia City Lens, Nokia Maps, Accessories, Music + Video [playing an album], Music +Videos [view of albums], and Bloomberg) open at the same time.

Last edited:

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
These are the things I noticed when I saw that video.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-06%20at%202.36.39%20PM.png

Apps for Accessories?

The Nokia Wireless Charging stand has NFC built into the base. When he taped the base this popped up. Maybe you can associate an App with the charging stand or have an app launch when your phone is using the stand.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-06%20at%202.38.22%20PM.png

Accessory Setup.
This was in the multi task screen (which showed 8 different apps open). Seems to be a setup for the charging stand.

1. "Tap to open"
2. "Open application by tapping the NFC tag on your phone against the stand"
3. "Accessory Set up mode"???

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-06%20at%201.22.51%20PM.png

Changes in the Bing App

1. It only came up when on this screen then went away. (sliding up) I have no idea what that is.
2. The Microphone has been moved back to the search box and out of the app bar.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-06%20at%201.28.47%20PM.png

Search results

1. "Web", "Local", "Media???" It no longer says "images" but instead "media" now. Could this mean you can search for music there and have albums show or movies and tv shows and have them show there? Maybe youtube video will show there?

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-06%20at%201.31.37%20PM.png

Handle change

the copy/paste handles have changed.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-06%20at%201.37.43%20PM.png

Multi select for pictures/videos

1. Multi select button. Maybe to select multiple things to delete, copy, email, etc.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-06%20at%201.27.38%20PM.png

Looks like Extras have been fully intergrated into the games hub now as seen by the avatar marketplace and achievement icons in the hub now.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Problematic posts removed from thread

Looks like some great new features are coming, I can't wait to get my hands on either of these.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Just a wild thought
... I hope that when you hold your WP phone in landscape mode, the start screen live tiles will also re-orientate themselves in landscape mode ala-Win8 style. ;)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
These are the things I noticed when I saw that video.

Click to view quoted image

Apps for Accessories?

The Nokia Wireless Charging stand has NFC built into the base. When he taped the base this popped up. Maybe you can associate an App with the charging stand or have an app launch when your phone is using the stand.

Search results

1. "Web", "Local", "Media???" It no longer says "images" but instead "media" now. Could this mean you can search for music there and have albums show or movies and tv shows and have them show there? Maybe youtube video will show there?

Multi select for pictures/videos

1. Multi select button. Maybe to select multiple things to delete, copy, email, etc.

Yes, I got to see the NFC pairing / app-launch during the Nokia launch event. It's a configurable option that when you pair up with a device it will launch a specific application (of your choice). Like pairing with a speaker launches music or touching a credit card processor launches Wallet, etc.

Media is a nice little change in Search... it would be really cool to find music and videos as well as images this way.

Lastly, multi-select for pictures... hallelujah!

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I do as well and Spanish too, but why do I find myself wanting to quote Pulp Fiction? (which I fear would be a detrimental action towards a moderator, lol)

Ha! That's funny. When people ask me if I know Spanish, I tell them: "I can order a beer and say mean things about your Mother. Other than that! Nothin."

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just a wild thought
... I hope that when you hold your WP phone in landscape mode, the start screen live tiles will also re-orientate themselves in landscape mode ala-Win8 style. ;)

Funny that you said that because if the start screen did it would look like a small tablet running win8 =) But I agree I always wanted to see the start screen work in landscape.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If they enable landscape start screen, I damn well better have an orientation lock option, because that would drive me insane. It already annoys me I can't lock orientation in certain places, lol. Call me crazy if it suits you, it's just my preference.

Aykazu

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
If they enable landscape start screen, I damn well better have an orientation lock option, because that would drive me insane. It already annoys me I can't lock orientation in certain places, lol. Call me crazy if it suits you, it's just my preference.

Hmm, Nokia could propably help with this, they had landscape capapility on N9, it was through an app, but I see no reason why it could not be done in WP8

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Funny that you said that because if the start screen did it would look like a small tablet running win8 =) But I agree I always wanted to see the start screen work in landscape.

Well, it was a teasing thought but on hindsight, b/c of the resizable nature of WP8 tiles, it maybe a little messy & disruptive to the minimalism & simplicity of WP's UI if the landscape feature is enabled. Like you, at times I do prefer the start screen in landscape while fiddling with my precious 900 but not always.
Loving My 900, Lusting The 920 ;) has become my personal anthem :D

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Good thread this thanks Calvin! liking the look of some of these cherries on top of the Lumia cake...
Did that metaphor work? No? Ah **** with it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)