Messaging in WP8-WIN8

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
How many folks may be on your pc/laptop/tablet working while receiving messages on the phone. On my HD7 I, use the message hub so it's basically T-Mo. I'll be working get a message on my mobile and think if I could only answer the darn thing from my desktop. With Win8 and WP8 I'm thinking if something couldn't be done, viva the OS or an app that would allow us to that sort of task?I understand that the mobile is using T-MO just a though.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
How many folks may be on your pc/laptop/tablet working while receiving messages on the phone. On my HD7 I, use the message hub so it's basically T-Mo. I'll be working get a message on my mobile and think if I could only answer the darn thing from my desktop. With Win8 and WP8 I'm thinking if something couldn't be done, viva the OS or an app that would allow us to that sort of task?I understand that the mobile is using T-MO just a though.
Live Messenger.. or I guess just "Messenger" now, is built into the People hub (as of Mango). Messenger is also a pre-loaded app on Win8 (and can be downloaded for Windows 7).

Get all your friends to use Messenger (including iOS and Android) and they can all talk to you whether on your PC or your phone.

You or your friends can also use messenger without a download by visiting outlook.com, Hotmail.com, or live.com - it's built in everywhere.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but I wonder if there will be something similar to that of iMessage on iOS and OS X on Windows 8 in the Windows Phone or Messaging app.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If I understood your question right, the answer is yes, Win 8 has a Messaging-"app" to it, which works really nicely! I was trying the Win 8 preview thingie yesterday and after I logged into my my MS account, connected it to facebook and twitter, I would get nifty notifications directly from the OS if someone messaged me on facebook for example.

The notification isnt Metro-only, so you get it to desktop as well and clicking on the notification would launch the messaging app to easily allow you to reply it.

I'm afraid I understood your question wrong cos its rare that I know more about Win 8 than other people here, but I personally found the messaging app in the customer preview of Windows 8 brilliant its probably the thing that will at least make me get the 40$ upgrade offer when it comes available.

Integration is great!

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The only limitation to Messaging hub on W8 vs WP8 is the lack of actual text messaging. You can use Windows Live or Facebook chat on both, and if they're integrating Skype to that as has been suggested, then that's another win.

I turn on FB Chat frequently so I can talk to people I don't have mobile numbers for.

It would be great, though, if I had a good option to get my text messages on my laptop/tablet. For some of my text-a-thons, it would be much nicer! :)

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
It would be great, though, if I had a good option to get my text messages on my laptop/tablet. For some of my text-a-thons, it would be much nicer! :)

This says it can do that (I've not used it though!) - i.e. let you type sms from your pc. Definitely worth a read of the privacy policy for that kind of app. It seems to be popular on Android, but the client has pretty bad reviews on WP7.
mysms SMS App | Text anywhere, anytime & on any device | mysms
If anyone's used it I'd be interested to hear what they thought.

On Android there's a nice piece of software called MyPhoneExplorer that lets you connect directly to your phone to read and send texts (wifi/bluetooth/usb) which I'd prefer as it means my texts aren't being stored by some cloud service but - apart from via jailbreaking - those APIs just aren't available on wp7 (wp8?) so it wouldn't be possible in the same way. May be possible using push though; I might try and write something if there's nothing already out there.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I knew I understood it wrong! :D

Didnt consider that you mightve meant an SMS message. It doesnt sound impossible to integrate into the messaging tab, maybe MS needs a heads up? :D

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
This says it can do that (I've not used it though!) - i.e. let you type sms from your pc. Definitely worth a read of the privacy policy for that kind of app. It seems to be popular on Android, but the client has pretty bad reviews on WP7.

On Android there's a nice piece of software called MyPhoneExplorer that lets you connect directly to your phone to read and send texts (wifi/bluetooth/usb) which I'd prefer as it means my texts aren't being stored by some cloud service but - apart from via jailbreaking - those APIs just aren't available on wp7 (wp8?) so it wouldn't be possible in the same way. May be possible using push though; I might try and write something if there's nothing already out there.

Pretty interesting, I may check it out at some point.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

The Android app was just what I was getting at being able to do. I haven't seen anything like that out there I've looked on WP7 store but nudda I seen did just that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte