Anyone else keeping Verizon unlimited?

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure that I can't be the only one in this situation but in order for me to keep Unlimited data I have to buy my phones off contract. I have no problem with this since it will save me money compared to going to the family plan. The problem I do have is the lack of sweet devices. The 8x is alright I guess but everything else is pretty much garbage. Anyone else rowing the same boat? Thoughts?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Waiting to see if the 920 or similar comes to VZW. I have an old $59.99 family plan, a $5 texting plan, and unlimited data. Not giving them up unless I have to. Will stick with this Trophy as long as it takes I guess.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You are not the only one. I will not lose my unlimited data. Doing so would cost me a great deal of money as I surf/stream/download quite a bit. Because of that, I have no choice but to buy an off contract phone. Like you, I'm not overly thrilled with what is rumored to come to Verizon. I am very much spoiled by what the 920 offers and anything less would constitute as an inferior product in my opinion. Thus, the crux of the situation is either to accept the 8x/822 or wait a bit longer for something better to come down the pipe.

The problem in buying either the 8x or 822 is that it will need to serve me a good three years to justify the purchase. Do I really want to have such a phone for that amount of time? As for waiting, Verizon has proven that a wait would be a foolhardy endeavor, as we may not see anything until the next generation of WP8 phones come in late summer/early fall. That is a long wait to be playing around with the likes of my Trophy.

I think what I’ll do is buy the 8x or 822 and use it until the next wave of WP8 comes around. At this point, I can sell the 8x/822 at good discounted price.

Last edited:

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I think what I?ll do is buy the 8x or 822 and use it until the next wave of WP8 comes around. At this point, I can sell the 8x/822 at good discounted price.

I'll probably do the same. I too stream a lot (8hrs a day, 5 days a week driving) and my plan is around 70 now with unlimited. I would need at least 5gb a month and that would pretty much double my bill. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I really feel for you guys on Verizon. I'm fortunate that I'm on Three (UK operator), and can therefore get 2000 any network minutes, plus 5000 Three-to-Three minutes, plus 5000 texts, plus truly unlimited data, with free tethering included. All for ?25/mth (probably around $40/mth). Also, it's a 1 month rolling contract, not a 12/18/24 month contract.

Of course, come Windows Phone 8, I will probably be using 250GB/mth data.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat myself. I am hoping that someone else will release a 920 that can be used on verizon's network. I haven't done that before so I am not sure how it would work, but that is what I am hoping for regardless.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps people might want to wait until VZW actually announces even ONE product before deciding what is or is not worthwhile. Everything that is floating around is still just a rumor, and VZW is now the only significant carrier in the US that has not either announced a product or simply bowed out (e.g., Sprint). To add once again, even the HTC 8X is listed as an AT&T phone on the HTC US website....

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps people might want to wait until VZW actually announces even ONE product before deciding what is or is not worthwhile. Everything that is floating around is still just a rumor, and VZW is now the only significant carrier in the US that has not either announced a product or simply bowed out (e.g., Sprint). To add once again, even the HTC 8X is listed as an AT&T phone on the HTC US website....

I agree, but it's kinda hard to keep from spreading the roumors... I wish verizon would just announce their windows 8 phone lineup allready!

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've seen you post essentially the same message in every Verizon/Nokia related thread and I've begun skipping over every one of them because I know that it doesn't contain anything that is the least bit helpful. Considering that there has been evidence backing up the existence of the 822 coming to Verizon, I think everyone is justified in speculating about a Nokia device coming to Verizon. These threads should be limited to those people who care to make a constructive contribution to the discussion at hand.

As for the unlimited data on Verizon, I lost mine ago so it won't be something that affects my decision. I don't stream music or movies so I've never gone over 1.5GB. For those of you that do go through a ton of data every month, I say hold on to it for dear life. The overages that some of you would incur each month would more than make up the difference of paying full retail over the course of a 24 month contract.

Last edited:

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I am keeping my unlimited data as well. After checking my data usage from the past year however... My data usage has shot up from an average 1.5gb /month to 4gb /month after the announcement of shared data. Its odd because i dont do anything different today than i did when i got my phone on day one.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

jonesyvoor

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Is it true you would lose your unlimited data by signing a new two year contract? I have unlimited with my iphone and curiously went on the Verizon website to see what would happen if initiated a purchase of a Galaxy SIII. One of the options was to keep my current unlimited data plan.

Based on this why would it be true that if I purchased a new Windows Phone (if Verizon were to get one) that i'd be obligated to give up my unlimited data?

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
If you continued with the process, you would be prompted to pay full retail price, which is the only way to keep your unlimited data.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that "grandfathered" unlimited data can be eliminated at any time, should VZW decide to eliminate it. There's no guarantee they'll allow you to remain on a month-to-month if they think they could make more money by forcing you into a limited plan (or throttling you).

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that "grandfathered" unlimited data can be eliminated at any time, should VZW decide to eliminate it. There's no guarantee they'll allow you to remain on a month-to-month if they think they could make more money by forcing you into a limited plan (or throttling you).

They should just disconnect everyone with the unlimited plans today. You want to get reconnected? Better get on a tiered plan. Or they could throttle it to 1bit/day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss