I can't decide whether I want a Lumia 920 or a Surface Tablet

magictriangle

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I already have the Lumia 900 and no tablet, but am super stoked on both the upcoming Lumia 920 and the Surface tablet. I wish I could have them all!

Which would you choose?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
What are your needs?

Your smartphone needs, are they served with the L900? Do you require a tablet to add on to your mobile experience? Those are just 2 of the many questions you should ask yourself.

I will say the Surface though, you got a great phone, and the Surface improves what you can do on the go.

fanel

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I already have the Lumia 900 and no tablet, but am super stoked on both the upcoming Lumia 920 and the Surface tablet. I wish I could have them all!

Which would you choose?
I just got a Lumia 800 in July which I'm very happy with (before anyone confronts me as to why I didn't wait for WP8, it's because I had my previous phone, a Nokia N73, for 5 years and I found a Telus-locked Lumia for 250 bucks, plus 20 bucks to unlock it to use it on Fido).

Anyways, since I just got a new phone which works perfectly for my needs, I'm not getting another one soon. However, my laptop is 4 years old and looking to replace it soon so a Surface tablet with keyboard would be the perfect substitute.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sound like you need a new phone since you have the Lumia 900. Given that you don't already have a tablet, and you seem to to be considering one then I would say to certainly wait on the Lumia 920, and go for the Surface. WP 7.8 software will hit in a couple of months and the new software will be refreshing enough to hold you over until you need to upgrade your phone.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a similar'ish position, although using the N8, but really happy with it overall and no real reason to change, but no tablet..

But i think I'll get both, even though it sorta breaks my bank! :D

nrprad

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I was in that situation, but I just decided that I'm getting both the Surface and the HTC 8X. If possible, I would suggest getting both as well. :)

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just be patient. At the rate we're going smartphones will be the same size as tablets within 18-24 months. :lol:

I can see that being a possibility. All hands free and voice activated.

I remember back in my Dell Axim PPC days when the cell phone trend was smaller and smaller I never thought they would be the same device. I used to say who the **** is going to hold that big thing up to the side of their head. Well the answer is almost everyone, I was very wrong.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Take both of them and throw away your laptop :) Different approach

Posted from My Mobile App

lol I won't be throwing my desktop away. But I will sell it along with my iPad to get one of the new W8 ultrabook/tablets that will be on the market. :)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh come on, the surface does not have NFC, OR a pureview, OR Wireless Charging, OR a cell antenna.

That was sarcasm.

Fact that Nokia can not make a thinner device than a tablet is a bit of a shock. RT is thinner than my Titan as well. Pro is only 2.8mm thicker than 920, which according to most nokia apologists is meaningless. I mean the the ip5 is 3mm thinner than the 920 and they say that is not a big deal at all. Never mind that the pro has an x86 processor, 128gb SSD, and probably 4gb of ram. Also a 1080p screen and 42wh battery.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh come on, the surface does not have NFC, OR a pureview, OR Wireless Charging, OR a cell antenna.

That was sarcasm.

Fact that Nokia can not make a thinner device than a tablet is a bit of a shock. RT is thinner than my Titan as well. Pro is only 2.8mm thicker than 920, which according to most nokia apologists is meaningless. I mean the the ip5 is 3mm thinner than the 920 and they say that is not a big deal at all. Never mind that the pro has an x86 processor, 128gb SSD, and probably 4gb of ram. Also a 1080p screen and 42wh battery.

It's not about not being able to make them smaller, it is mostly likely the trade off you get by trying to go for better camera technology than the others. Also the case is obviously much thicker and durable than in a Samsung for example. I don't know how much the PureMotionHD+ supersensitive stuff takes more space (if any) in comparison to your usual display, but that might add into as well.

Also that said, a tablet has a lot more real estate to fit stuff into, whereas a smartphone doesn't.

I've been using the N8 for 2 years now, which is up to 12,9mm thick with the camera bulge, the thickness never bothered me in the slightest, but that's naturally personal preference. In fact, I have quite the hard time liking slim and light phones nowadays, they easily feel like toys to me. Naturally, even for me, there is a limit somewhere on how big and heavy the device can go, but personally I'm more bothered over the big screen sizes rather than thickness and we are currently pushing into painful screen sizes for my taste, while even the N8/most likely the 920 (havnt had hands on yet) is not even near any boundaries thickness-wise to make my alarmbells go off.

I don't really get why all manufacturers should go for the same niches of having as light and slim phones with as big screens as possible. That would mean I wouldn't like the feel of any smartphone out there :p Now we have a choice! Those who like a bit thicker and heavier phones can fe. go Nokia, while those who value lightness and slimness very high can go fe. Samsung. Just don't expect to see the same tech and materials in that light and slim Samsung :p

But why exactly is thickness a problem to you? I mean, when I hold a phone in my hand, I have way more "leeway" into the thickness department, I can still hold it in my hand without my "hand running out", meanwhile the bigger the screen gets, the harder it will for me to operate it and hold it with one hand cos my hand and fingers are only so big.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not about not being able to make them smaller, it is mostly likely the trade off you get by trying to go for better camera technology than the others. Also the case is obviously much thicker and durable than in a Samsung for example. I don't know how much the PureMotionHD+ supersensitive stuff takes more space (if any) in comparison to your usual display, but that might add into as well.

Also that said, a tablet has a lot more real estate to fit stuff into, whereas a smartphone doesn't.

I've been using the N8 for 2 years now, which is up to 12,9mm thick with the camera bulge, the thickness never bothered me in the slightest, but that's naturally personal preference. In fact, I have quite the hard time liking slim and light phones nowadays, they easily feel like toys to me. Naturally, even for me, there is a limit somewhere on how big and heavy the device can go, but personally I'm more bothered over the big screen sizes rather than thickness and we are currently pushing into painful screen sizes for my taste, while even the N8/most likely the 920 (havnt had hands on yet) is not even near any boundaries thickness-wise to make my alarmbells go off.

I don't really get why all manufacturers should go for the same niches of having as light and slim phones with as big screens as possible. That would mean I wouldn't like the feel of any smartphone out there :p Now we have a choice! Those who like a bit thicker and heavier phones can fe. go Nokia, while those who value lightness and slimness very high can go fe. Samsung. Just don't expect to see the same tech and materials in that light and slim Samsung :p

But why exactly is thickness a problem to you? I mean, when I hold a phone in my hand, I have way more "leeway" into the thickness department, I can still hold it in my hand without my "hand running out", meanwhile the bigger the screen gets, the harder it will for me to operate it and hold it with one hand cos my hand and fingers are only so big.

That is the whole point, your N8 doesn't have a huge screen or other dimensions so it can be thick. For phones with big screens the added dimensions have to be subtracted somewhere for the phone to remain balanced and the best place to shave off the real estate is thickness since they are beginning to run out of bezel.

As for your one hand example, a thin phone with a big screen is easier to operate with one hand than a thick phone with a big screen. I don't see how a thicker phone helps one hand use in anyway.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, the 920 is a bad example, as its known to have a huge camera sensor compared to a traditional camera phone

See the 808 pureview, vs 920 pureview vs standard camera sensor

Sensor size does not impact the thickness very much. Can not really tell the sensor thickness comparison in that link. But the camera is obviously much bigger on the 808. iphone, s3, and just about every other phone of this quarter will have at least an 8mp camera and every other phone is thinner. Making the camera on a slight bump out would still make the phone thinner overall. Yeah, maximum thickness would be the same, but I probably have .5mm thickness of camera bump on my Titan and overall the phone is less than the advertised thickness so it feels thinner. Make the camera badge and lens stick out slightly if they need to so that the main body of the phone can be thinner. Would go very far in the "feel" of the thickness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo