Reason for all the Samsung bashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Recently Samsung has been taking a beating by not only the editor(s) of Wpcentral, but also from the forum members. Vote in the poll! :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
None of the above :D

I don't deny that the devices itself are great and often pack pretty nice specs and all that, but there are two things that make me not even consider Samsung (and something ive been criticizing them for on these forums too):

Remember, these are my opinions:

1) The design in general, I'm not sure if there is a smartphone that looks more boring than the ATIV/Galaxy-line.

2) Materials, build quality, weight. If picking up my phone makes me cringe, I don't want the phone :p I personally like heavier phones cos they feel a lot more solid and robust, but also having a back cover that can be bent twofold is out of question for me.

3) Samsung used to have the best screens for a while with their SAMOLEDs, but it seems that Nokia has passed them in that competition this time around.

4) General lack of anything special.. Well, I guess that can be said for all currently announced WP8 phones except Lumia 920, at least for my taste, but yeah, the ATIV just has nothing to be wowed over for me.

But as said, I don't deny that they make great phones in general, they just aren't for me as I value certain things higher, which happens to be the stuff that Samsung rarely focuses on.

That said, I don't see how Samsung pimp slapped anyone when it comes to WP8 devices. Apart from bigger screen (but worse screen), SD slot and bigger battery, the Samsung was more like slapped by a platoon of pimps :p

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think on here anyway it's a very Nokia bias place if you look back at read you see very little spoken about the ATIVs or the 8x it's all about Nokia this or that. they tend to run 99-1 on write-up's. Yea I like Nokia too but I want to read about all the other WP8 devices and not just about Nokia now the 8x is also at the show have you seen them do anything yet for it? nope and so is the ATIVs see anything here about that from the show? no

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
None of the above :D

I don't deny that the devices itself are great and often pack pretty nice specs and all that, but there are two things that make me not even consider Samsung (and something ive been criticizing them for on these forums too):

Remember, these are my opinions:

1) The design in general, I'm not sure if there is a smartphone that looks more boring than the ATIV/Galaxy-line.

2) Materials, build quality, weight. If picking up my phone makes me cringe, I don't want the phone :p I personally like heavier phones cos they feel a lot more solid and robust, but also having a back cover that can be bent twofold is out of question for me.

3) Samsung used to have the best screens for a while with their SAMOLEDs, but it seems that Nokia has passed them in that competition this time around.

4) General lack of anything special.. Well, I guess that can be said for all currently announced WP8 phones except Lumia 920, at least for my taste, but yeah, the ATIV just has nothing to be wowed over for me.

But as said, I don't deny that they make great phones in general, they just aren't for me as I value certain things higher, which happens to be the stuff that Samsung rarely focuses on.

That said, I don't see how Samsung pimp slapped anyone when it comes to WP8 devices. Apart from bigger screen (but worse screen), SD slot and bigger battery, the Samsung was more like slapped by a platoon of pimps :p

1+

their design might be copy of iPhone or I would rather say average design (I love the design of GS2 but the design of GS3 sucks). But the worst thing is samsung always uses CHEAP Plastic compared to premiumed quality material used by Nokia and Apple

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I saw no case whatsoever in the Apple vs. Samsung thing and I dont think they've copied a design at least and even if they would've, it's hard to claim that one invented rectangular phone with rounded corners :p

That said, not all "premium quality materials" are good either. The glass iPhones some generations back fractured quite easily, the current anodized aluminium on the iPhone 5 is a complete joke (N8 had anodized aluminium done right), etc. But yeah, I do agree with that in general.

But it does have it's sides as well. Samsungs are really light and it's not like they break far easier than other phones or anything. For me it's just a matter of ugly design and them feeling like a toy due to the used materials.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This poll is biased.. There are no options that does allow people to say why they honestly do not like it other than because it's better than their first choice. You should add some realistic options here.

Maybe I just don't like the design. It may be too big for my liking, or maybe I don't like south Korean made devices. It's possible that I think it looks to generic to stand out around other people. I could just flat out hate the word Samsung.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
All phones look alike and all are called Galaxy. Imagine a family where everyone has the same name and the same face. ANd, add to that, the cheap plastic feel. It just feels cheap. And costs a bomb.
It's the perfect recipe of hatred. At least for me.

Yakkaimono

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Those options aren't really well chosen. Back when everything started with WP7 the Samsung Omnia 7 was my favorite device. But a lot has changed since then.
Currently I just dislike the way Samsung is approaching WP8. It's understandable that their main business is android but to me it just seems they are hardly making any effort to stand behind WP8.

They just took the US version of the GS3 changed the design and slapped WP8 on. The GS3 hardware is great but changing only from one boring design to a slightly less boring design (personal opinion) isn't that great. Samsung has the ressources to do innovative stuff with their phones no matter what OS they use. But it feels like they choose not to even lift a finger for WP8. No hardware innovation or even an evolution and no special software as far as we can tell for now.
Even HTC is trying to bring some new things to WP8 that previously wasn't seen on any android phone like the front facing cam.

Samsung doesn't even talk about their phone even though it's getting closer to launch now. To me that just seems like they don't really care.

So in the end why would people to whom the larger screen and sd card slot don't mean much go with the Ativ S knowing that they will get unique and interesting features and better OEM apps from Nokia and presumably HTC?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This poll is biased.. There are no options that does allow people to say why they honestly do not like it other than because it's better than their first choice. You should add some realistic options here.

Maybe I just don't like the design. It may be too big for my liking, or maybe I don't like south Korean made devices. It's possible that I think it looks to generic to stand out around other people. I could just flat out hate the word Samsung.

We could always vote for the "cos people here arnt objective" option, pointing at the thread starter? :D

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Because Nokia is exclusive to WP so nokia can really do no wrong in the eyes of a fan... look at ifans, apple can really do no wrong at all.

my first 2 phones where a big brick motorola and a nokia BUT it wasn't until samsung that things started advancing in terms of size/style.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Those options aren't really well chosen. Back when everything started with WP7 the Samsung Omnia 7 was my favorite device. But a lot has changed since then.
Currently I just dislike the way Samsung is approaching WP8. It's understandable that their main business is android but to me it just seems they are hardly making any effort to stand behind WP8.

They just took the US version of the GS3 changed the design and slapped WP8 on. The GS3 hardware is great but changing only from one boring design to a slightly less boring design (personal opinion) isn't that great. Samsung has the ressources to do innovative stuff with their phones no matter what OS they use. But it feels like they choose not to even lift a finger for WP8. No hardware innovation or even an evolution and no special software as far as we can tell for now.
Even HTC is trying to bring some new things to WP8 that previously wasn't seen on any android phone like the front facing cam.

Samsung doesn't even talk about their phone even though it's getting closer to launch now. To me that just seems like they don't really care.

So in the end why would people to whom the larger screen and sd card slot don't mean much go with the Ativ S knowing that they will get unique and interesting features and better OEM apps from Nokia and presumably HTC?
Well said! As I said in the last article I wrote for the site here: My next Windows Phone - Jay Bennett | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews I did find the Omnia 7 a superb phone, and it was good to see Samsung releasing a few devices and demonstrating some commitment to the platform. However that soon changed, and their subsequent support both of the existing devices and for future devices has seemed a little lackluster.

That does not mean that they won't turn it around though. As far as I can see the Ativ S is perfect for those who want the most specs for their cash, and whilst I wish we could see a few more offerings from Samsung it could be that the new approach will work.

My complaints of support and firmware updates may just vanish if Samsung only have one product to focus on. I am also hoping that the Ativ S will not be the last WP8 device, there are mumblings on the internet of a Galaxy S3 mini with a 4" screen, if we see that device as an Ativ S mini as well, then Samsung's strategy of offering a single product family branded differently for Android or Windows could actually end up being a very strong move. Time will tell, and I may flesh all of this out in an article sometime, or at least on the next podcast.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This is a pretty garbage poll honestly. The only options are based on Samsung actually being superior. Which they aren't. I guess the Ativ S is a perfectly fine phone unless you want a Windows Phone the best screen, the most features, a great design, good fit and finish, premium feel, and great OEM apps, like you get from either HTC or Nokia. If you want a GSIII without the software features that actually make the GSIII superior to its Android rivals, the Ativ is great.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
How about because they are doing nothing new or exciting?

But nah, I'm just a Samsung hater, it's not like I use a Samsung laptop and phone everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05