Could the 8X be the WP8 "sleeper hit" in the US?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a prediction that the 8X will be a big seller simply because it's a cool looking phone that will be available on 3 of the 4 big US carriers. What do you guys think?

Note: There's not a lot known about the ATIV S carrier availability as of this post. Perhaps the ATIV S can impact my prediction but we'll have to wait and see.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
it will likely be my choice if a 920 variant is not available on Verizon. i have no choice BUT to go with Verizon, based on coverage in my area, and from what i've seen, i prefer that phone over the Ativ, as of right now.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a prediction that the 8X will be a big seller simply because it's a cool looking phone that will be available on 3 of the 4 big US carriers. What do you guys think?...

I think you're probably right. Availability is critical and HTC is on key,

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a prediction that the 8X will be a big seller simply because it's a cool looking phone that will be available on 3 of the 4 big US carriers. What do you guys think?

Its all down to promotion and training.

If all the carriers are stocking the 8X, i can't imagine they will be that bothered about advertising it, so its down to just how much HTC advertise the phones, i'd hope their tie in with Microsoft should help hugely with that.

Same with training, if the sales staff get decent training on WP8 and some sort of incentive to sell a WP8 device, instead of an Android device, then the 8X will do well.

It'll be very interesting to see the sales figures of 920, 8X & Ativ S after the first month.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yep, it should do well because it will be available to most carriers. If all phones were on all carriers, I think it would come in 2nd or 3rd.

DeWize1

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
If Nokia truly doesn't supply the 920 on any other major carrier, I can see the 8X being a huge success.

For those on ATT, like myself, the 920 is the clear choice, no matter what anyone says, its the phone to beat. But I know many people on other carroers who love, and I mean LOVE the 8X, begging me daily when its coming out (I'm the authority of my friends on WP). I imagine my 920 will be outnumbered by the 8X's in my group.

But honestly, I'm ok with that, It'll make me, and the 920, that much more unique. Obviously business wise that's a terrible outlook, but consumer wise, I love it.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If all the carriers are stocking the 8X, i can't imagine they will be that bothered about advertising it, so its down to just how much HTC advertise the phones...
That is a very good point. HTC will have to do most of the marketing themselves (sort of like they did with the One X) just for that reason. Maybe they'll use "...part of the Windows Phone Signature Series" in their ads. Should help a bit.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the one x advertising is excellent but the they still have lackluster sales. Hopefully the 8X will find a way to draw people in. Being on Verizon I may be forced to get an 8X myself but am hopeful of a 920 variant by May.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think the one x advertising is excellent but the they still have lackluster sales.
Yeah the One X didn't sell well but I think it's mostly due to the heavy competition in the Android camp (GSII, GSIII, Motorola Droid Series, cheaper Androids, etc). I think Windows Phone is open to any player that wants to go all out. Samsung will initially have one phone, Nokia will initially have two but spread amongst carriers using different model numbers, etc. HTC can say something like "Get the 8X for Mom and Dad, junior can get the colorful two-tone 8S. Available on T-Mo, AT&T, and Verizon" (not sure about the 8S availability but it'll probably be on all three as well).

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The 8X will probably be the top seller all across the board if the 920 does indeed remain exclusive to AT&T. Makes it that much clearer why Microsoft was pimping it instead of the 920 as the "flagship" WP8 device.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The 8X will probably be the top seller all across the board if the 920 does indeed remain exclusive to AT&T. Makes it that much clearer why Microsoft was pimping it instead of the 920 as the "flagship" WP8 device.

Yea this never actually happened. This is just internet BS spread by HTC fanboys and people on Verizon.

I guarantee the 920 sells more simply due to the fact that it is a superior phone and that will become common knowledge.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If all the carriers are stocking the 8X, i can't imagine they will be that bothered about advertising it, so its down to just how much HTC advertise the phones, i'd hope their tie in with Microsoft should help hugely with that.

I don't agree. So if the 8X is on Verizon and AT&T are you saying Verizon doesn't care if a sub goes to AT&T instead of them? Having the device on all carriers can actually make them promote it more... That's when they start to brag about how they have the best network... or the lowest rates... etc.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea this never actually happened. This is just internet BS spread by HTC fanboys and people on Verizon.

I guarantee the 920 sells more simply due to the fact that it is a superior phone and that will become common knowledge.

Excuse me? I read it on more than one website in articles. I'm not basing my statement on the word of HTC "fanboys," nor am I basing it on anything "people on Verizon" have said. Better read up a bit more.

On that note, I'm no HTC "fangirl" before you toss that label onto me. Never owned a single HTC phone in my life.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Excuse me? I read it on more than one website in articles. I'm not basing my statement on the word of HTC "fanboys," nor am I basing it on anything "people on Verizon" have said. Better read up a bit more.

On that note, I'm no HTC "fangirl" before you toss that label onto me. Never owned a single HTC phone in my life.

I said the idea originated by HTC fanboys and verizon customers. No one called you an HTC fangirl. Take a pill and chill.

Show me one actual link to anyone stating anything about the 8X being the "flagship phone of Microsoft" that isn't on some crappy low end website or a forum.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I said the idea originated by HTC fanboys and verizon customers. No one called you an HTC fangirl. Take a pill and chill.

Show me one actual link to anyone stating anything about the 8X being the "flagship phone of Microsoft" that isn't on some crappy low end website or a forum.

All you have to do is Google it and voile. It's not my job to direct you to any particular site. But it's all over the 'net, so it's not difficult to find.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
All you have to do is Google it and voile. It's not my job to direct you to any particular site. But it's all over the 'net, so it's not difficult to find.

No it isn't. Because it doesn't exist.

You should be able to give at least one example to prove your point that it is the flagship WP8 device according to Microsoft.

Microsoft was there to promote both the Lumia 920 and the 8X. The 8X just happened to come after the Lumia event.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb