WP8 Getting Full verson of Office?

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just saw this on an Android site. Is that true and if so, will it allow you to sync with Windows 7 and backup to your laptop? I was ready to get the Galaxy Note 2 but this could change that for me and millions of others.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I just saw this on an Android site. Is that true and if so, will it allow you to sync with Windows 7 and backup to your laptop? I was ready to get the Galaxy Note 2 but this could change that for me and millions of others.

You again. Haven't seen tou around. And Yes. There would be lots of enchantments and improvements in office. And yes there will be likely a backup thing on wp8. Since it's like windows 8. You will save stuff automatically to go somewhere else without your own com. And there is a skydrive app in the marketplace and very,ikely included in wp8 and win 8 and it can let you put office docs in to it. Likely. So he's there will be likely tones of improvements In Office.

PS there is a windows 7 skydrive app.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
For the back up part, I think more likely Microsoft will have your files saved on Skydrive, as, I think, is their solution for Office for Win 8/RT.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I hope it works a little smoother. On SkyDrive app or office app sometimes they don't like to open and they open up webpage for SkyDrive, then download, then open file. I keep all my files backed up to SkyDrive, but it should be more seamless.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I hope it works a little smoother. On SkyDrive app or office app sometimes they don't like to open and they open up webpage for SkyDrive, then download, then open file. I keep all my files backed up to SkyDrive, but it should be more seamless.

The SkyDrive/Office 365 online sync process is already close to seamless in the version of Office 2013 currently being finalized. The extent to which it is not seamless has more to do with the fact that some of the components are still beta and are clearly not optimized. I expect it will be a very sound user experience on Windows 7, 8, and RT - it is already sufficiently so that I now use Office 2013 almost exclusively.

As for the original question of a "full version" of Office on WP8, I seriously doubt that is on the drawing board. There is a is a big difference (no pun intended) between a phone screen and either a laptop or tablet. The upcoming version is certainly more touch friendly than any previous version, but it is definitely not meant for particularly small screens and still relies heavily on processor and IO capabilities well beyond any phone.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I don't know what the "this" is that you saw on an Android site but while you can expect to see better integration of the Office web apps with WP8, it is extremely unlikely one will ever see a full version of Office on any version of any phone. As far as syncing capabilities and web based file editing though, you can achieve near seamless integration between the next generation of the Office web apps and Office 2013 since the Office 2013 default configuration is to save files to SkyDrive or Office 365/SharePoint, in addition to the local machine. It is still months before it will go final and it does have some bugs to work out but is a solid work in progress. None of the bugs have proved to be fatal flaws but there are some quirks and nuisances, for instance, between how SkyDrive running on a laptop/desktop interacts with the Office 2013 syncing functions.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If MS wants to grab the business users they have with Office and get them on WP and off of BlackBerry and keep them from iOS and Android, they sure better have seamless, fairly enhanced Office on their devices. It is one of the things I am looking to the most.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

There was a photo(shop) I suspect o0f a wp8 device with the circular menu bar of office 13 on the screen. So this might be correct or it might be wishful thinking Maybe we will know or no soon!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There was a photo(shop) I suspect o0f a wp8 device with the circular menu bar of office 13 on the screen. So this might be correct or it might be wishful thinking Maybe we will know or no soon!
That was a 1800PocketPC "concept" post, picked up by WMPU. Nothing to see here.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

D16RR

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Any news on if they will support MS Access on WP8? Without a way to store and search databases the platform is, for me, weaker than a 20 year old PDA.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Office for WP8 Devices

Unless there is a full Outlook version in Office 365, it will not be complete. I still can't understand the fact you have to go around your elbow to get to your thumb just to sync contacts and calendars from one MS source to another. No I don't have exchange capability.:mad:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Unless there is a full Outlook version in Office 365, it will not be complete. I still can't understand the fact you have to go around your elbow to get to your thumb just to sync contacts and calendars from one MS source to another. No I don't have exchange capability.:mad:

I don't know, I find Outlook/SkyDrive compatibility stellar for my uses. When I need to edit documents I store them on SD. I can then pull up the document on my WP, edit it, save it back up on SD. And off I go, ready for the major edits when I get back home onto my Office 2012/2013 Windows 7/8 desktop.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
My point is to be able to sync contacts, calendar, tasks and notes without having to go through Google or some $40 thrid party program. No sense in making that decision in WP7 at all.:mad:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My point is to be able to sync contacts, calendar, tasks and notes without having to go through Google or some $40 thrid party program. No sense in making that decision in WP7 at all.:mad:

Contacts - Sync fine using Windows Live for me. Also worked in Exchange for my university email.
Calender - Same deal as contacts.
Tasks - Syncs fine through Windows Live
Notes - this seems to be a bit hazy for me, but I believe they did sync through SkyDrive for me. I see SharePoint and Office 365 options though in the Office Hub, maybe they would work for enterprise?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
This is what I am talking about!

What are you talking about? :/

I left out a word in my post. What I should have said is I can't believe that direct connect to Outlook was left out of WP7. For those of us that used Windows Mobile for years, this was one of the staple capabilities of that OS. Plug in your WM device and you could directly sync with Outlook. No exchange, no Windows Live; no third party program needed.

I understand that there are ways to work around this but it seems to me that if they want to regain a foothold in the business world, this is a necessity. Having exchnage sync is half way there; local sync would finish out the product for us non techie users.

Hopefully this explains my post in more detail.:excl:

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

I think the term/name "Full" needs to be qualified. Office is already part of WP7, so the inclusion of Office on WP8 shouldn't come as a surprise - it should be expected.

However, it will be a "Metro" (Live Apps?) version of it, not the Desktop version of Office. I think the same is expected of Windows 8 RT, that it will include the same Metro version of Office that I don't believe anyone has seen or used. But again, I can already open/edit/save Office documents on my WP7 today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo