Nokia frustration does not = hate for OEM

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there are many WP users who truly HATE Nokia as an OEM. In fact, I would guess that many people have a great deal of fondness for the company. If you got your first mobile phone in the late 90?s, it was probably made by Nokia.

Whether you like Nokia and believe that the 920 is the flagship WP phone or not ? the fact is, Nokia has to succeed for Windows Phone to succeed. Success in the marketplace relies on consumers ?voting? with their wallets. I realize that this is nothing new, but when a certain population is not given an opportunity to ?vote? and decides to sit this one out or settle for second best or leave the ecosystem altogether, that?s frustrating.

The fact that we are members of the WPCentral forum says a lot about our passion for Windows Phone. No one can argue that Nokia has made some decisions recently that are frustrating, to say the least. When passionate people get frustrated, they act out ? not because they hate, but because they want that thing that they are so passionate about to succeed. A little anger ? sometimes aimed in the wrong place ? feels good and somehow it feels like can make a difference, if nothing more than getting people to talk about it. It?s our own little ?Nokia Autumn?.

The worst thing that COULD happen would be that no one really cares WHAT happens.

I don?t know. I just wanted to put that out there...

*steps off soapbox*

Last edited:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
bDsVr.gif

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who blames Nokia for the exclusivity is an idiot. Verizon clearly does not give a **** about Nokia. Or Windows Phone for that matter.

They want to keep pimping those fugly DROID phones.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Many people I know don't like Nokia. Its unfortunate that Nokia is the supposed mascot of the WP.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who blames Nokia for the exclusivity is an idiot. Verizon clearly does not give a **** about Nokia. Or Windows Phone for that matter.

They want to keep pimping those fugly DROID phones.
Awesome, Vagrantwade! Please share the link to these carrier exclusivity contracts you've gotten a hold of. I've been wanting to dive into those for some time now. It sounds like the covers are finally being pulled back on the details. I've been feeling like an idiot for a long time and it's not fun.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
You mean the 4th ranked carrier that was almost devoured by AT&T? What about them?

Which also happened to be the ONE carrier who for weeks on end was the ONLY carrier with WP7-specific ads on TV, and who was also the carrier to sell what was considered the first flagship phone (HD7)? Of course that was like 400 years ago in technology years...

kcovert

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Think Nokia failure = Windows Mobile failure is over stating it. Is an important player but there?s Samsung, and HTC, MS declared platform flagship phone? The exclusive deal is a money thing, is it mistake, yes, but remains to be seen how big of one.

Also been seeing lot of indicators that Verizon will eventually get a 920 variant. So if you don?t have to have one at WM8 release just wait a bit and you?ll probably get a Verizon version. From what you can read it too seems, unlike Sprint, that Verizon?s attitude toward the platform has changed.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Which also happened to be the ONE carrier who for weeks on end was the ONLY carrier with WP7-specific ads on TV, and who was also the carrier to sell what was considered the first flagship phone (HD7)? Of course that was like 400 years ago in technology years...

didn't TMobile did it by choice? (i mean phone selection) i don't think Nokia went out of their way and said no u can't have it...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile would happily sell the 920 or a variant, but as I was informed by one poster, T-Mobile doesn't deserve it because its future is in doubt (while Nokia's, presumably, is rock solid and guaranteed). :p

Rule #1 of business: make it easy for the customer to do business with you.

I'd love to consider a top-end Nokia device, but they simply won't offer them on my carrier. It's very frustrating!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Do you know WHY?

Carriers have made it clear that they are not willing to do anything for Nokia if they aren't exclusive.

What Nokia found is that AT&T and T-Mobile made a real effort to market the Lumia phones. They actually tried to get their salespeople to try and push the phone. And when all is said and done, having the salesperson recommend a device is a HUGE thing.

In Europe, where there wasn't exclusivity, carriers weren't doing anything for Nokia.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You mean the 4th ranked carrier that was almost devoured by AT&T? What about them?

I'm sorry, but it's a bit rich for Nokia -- which is losing billions of dollars -- to talk down to a profitable carrier.

T-Mobile will still exist 24 months from now, and will be financially stronger than it is today. The same cannot be definitively said for Nokia.

The arrogance of Nokia (with itself is fourth ranked in smartphones globally, and not even a top 10 player in the USA, incidentally) and its culture is a major reason why it's in such a crisis. This is a do-or-die six months for them, and the last thing that will help them is trash-talking a carrier who has always treated them fairly and distributed Nokia devices even when every other US carrier had already booted Nokia completely out of their lineup.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Think Nokia failure = Windows Mobile failure is over stating it.
I agree. Windows Phone can survive without Nokia. I think the reason Microsoft is (allegedly) making their own phone is testament to Microsoft's committment to make sure Windows Phone is here for the long run.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Carriers have made it clear that they are not willing to do anything for Nokia if they aren't exclusive.

Sorry, but that simply is not true, and I can confirm this as I know people at all the major carriers.

T-Mobile, in particular, would be happy to push Windows Phones of all sorts as an alternative, regardless of "exclusivity." It is differentiating on 4G network speeds, unlimited data, and value.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb