Amongst all the current Windows Phones, which has the strongest specs?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, forget specs. Ok not literally, but I mean specs from other platforms. Don't compare it with HTC ONEx or SGSIII.

What about Lumia 920 vs HTC 8X vs ATIV S?

Amongst all the OEMs in the Windows arena itself, which one is the strongest?

Also, I know most of us will say 920, but let's say for some reason I can't afford it. Or may be it isn't available in the colour I want, then what is the second best?

I am honestly confused, but seeing the prices of the accessories, it is safe to assume 920 won't come cheap.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
forgetting the camera, the ATIV s would then have the best specs..
820 is OK, but not keen on the screen res..
8X is OK, but no SD card and none of the nokia apps

If I wasn't fussed about all the nokia apps, then the ATIV S would be the one to go for, but I am fussed about the Nokia apps, so for me it is the 920..

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Best specs? Well, that depends on your definition.

If you like a larger screen (albeit Pentile), microSD slot, ATIV is your cup of tea. If you like a higher PPI screen which isn't Pentile, a dedicated amp for music, an imaging chip for photos, colours for your phone and a smaller phone floats your boat, 8X.

Personally though, I really will pay extra for the OIS, the PureMotion super sensitive touchscreen, Nokia apps, nice ergonomics (at least infered from the L900) and known great support of the phone. After all, Nokia still had updates for my E63 3 years into the phone. If that's not support, I am not sure what is.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Best specs? Well, that depends on your definition.

If you like a larger screen (albeit Pentile), microSD slot, ATIV is your cup of tea. If you like a higher PPI screen which isn't Pentile, a dedicated amp for music, an imaging chip for photos, colours for your phone and a smaller phone floats your boat, 8X.

Personally though, I really will pay extra for the OIS, the PureMotion super sensitive touchscreen, Nokia apps, nice ergonomics (at least infered from the L900) and known great support of the phone. After all, Nokia still had updates for my E63 3 years into the phone. If that's not support, I am not sure what is.

thanks...That was more or less what I was looking for.

Also, I don't know about Nokia, but my last HTC kinnda had a problem with the metallic volume rocker and power button wearing off...so i am going to be very very careful about the quality this time...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I personally opt for a slightly smaller, super-sensitive, non-pentile screen with double the refresh rate as being "superiorly specced". That being said, I think expandable storage alone will move a LOT of units for Sammy...

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
thanks...That was more or less what I was looking for.

Also, I don't know about Nokia, but my last HTC kinnda had a problem with the metallic volume rocker and power button wearing off...so i am going to be very very careful about the quality this time...

I never had any problems with my Nokia phones. I still boot up my E63 from time to time too. L900 looks great, as is the L800. Still, your mileage may vary.

All devices will have Skydrive, so no issues on that.

8X's resolution is 1280x720, with a 341 PPI, 4.3 inch screen.

Well, I will save you a google/bing search and give you this website for the 8X vs 920 specs lowdown.

Windows Phone 8X by HTC vs Nokia Lumia 920 - Comparison - Know Your Mobile

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Does 8X have the 7GB Cloud storage and also what about the resolution? I quite hated the HD7 display TBH...

All WP devices get the free cloud storage, though early adopters got more. I have 25gb due to my HD7. The 8x screen is 720p, and has the highest pixel density of any officially announced device on any platform to date. That being said, my HD7 is the reason my next phone won't be an HTC.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, forget specs. Ok not literally, but I mean specs from other platforms. Don't compare it with HTC ONEx or SGSIII.

What about Lumia 920 vs HTC 8X vs ATIV S?

Amongst all the OEMs in the Windows arena itself, which one is the strongest?

You are on an internet forum asking about specs of widely publicized WP8 devices. You can liteterally copy and paste your question "What about Lumia 920 vs HTC 8X vs ATIV S" into google and get back actual comparison sites detailing the spec differences. (The links you want go all the way to 'smackdown', ninth down or any ones above.) The rest is up to your preference and no one can tell you that.

No disrespect intended.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You are on an internet forum asking about specs of widely publicized WP8 devices. You can liteterally copy and paste your question "What about Lumia 920 vs HTC 8X vs ATIV S" into google and get back actual comparison sites detailing the spec differences. (The links you want go all the way to 'smackdown', ninth down or any ones above.) The rest is up to your preference and no one can tell you that.

No disrespect intended.

Thank you for your reply firstly. But may be I wasn't clear enough in my OP. I meant, "what do you think about the specs amongst the Windows Phones 8 currently available?"

I know the specs of all the WP devices like the back of my hand by now... :p

Thanx!

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply firstly. But may be I wasn't clear enough in my OP. I meant, "what do you think about the specs amongst the Windows Phones 8 currently available?"
Ah a more interesting question:) If we leave Nokia out of the picture due to budget constraints, I see HTC being the phone with better technology while others see Samsung with better specs.

HTC's integrated camera chip and software solution for Beats audio gives much more attention to WP8 than Samsung. HTC's wide angle view and focal length impresses more than Samsung. This equals better pictures and music quality than Samsung. As mentioned, the screen technology is better than Samsung's Pentile display. Which just means the RGB layout of the 8X is objectively clearer to the discerning eye.

They both have 720p which is not as impressive as the 768 the 920 has. This resolution number is more important to me than ppi because ppi is very dependant on screen size. THe 8X 342ppi would be far less if it were 4.5" or 4.8". The resolution of 1280x768 is more relavent because it is a 1-to-1 scale correlation to the old WP7 resolution and the 720 is not. All this means is that a 768 screen will use the full screen to display old data without scale issues while the 720 screen may introduce workarounds. But if I am not in the market for the 920, this tangent is mute.

Samsung has its benefits. I think the 4.8" screen be a better media viewing experience for those who watch movies or surf often than 4.3". (When you are 2-3 feet from your screen, you will probably will not notice Pentile vs RGB) Its SD card will come in handy for movie and music downloads. The SD card will also come in handy more for late adopters who only get 7GB of Skydrive storage.

So I think HTC has better technology while Samsung has 'bigger' specs. If I didn't know about the 920 which hits the sweet spot between specs and technology, my choice would be difficult. I would not care about the SD slot of Samsung because of 25GB of Skydrive. I would not care about the Beats of HTC because I am not an audiophile. I care about pictures but I also care about a comfortable mobile movie experience. I would settle for the 8X (by 55/45 margin) because I take more pictures with a phone than I watch movies.

But here is the kicker, I don't think the 8X is HTC's flagship WP8 phone... (My Titan tells me it is getting nervous because it senses its successor)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ah a more interesting question:) If we leave Nokia out of the picture due to budget constraints, I see HTC being the phone with better technology while others see Samsung with better specs.

HTC's integrated camera chip and software solution for Beats audio gives much more attention to WP8 than Samsung. HTC's wide angle view and focal length impresses more than Samsung. This equals better pictures and music quality than Samsung. As mentioned, the screen technology is better than Samsung's Pentile display. Which just means the RGB layout of the 8X is objectively clearer to the discerning eye.

They both have 720p which is not as impressive as the 768 the 920 has. This resolution number is more important to me than ppi because ppi is very dependant on screen size. THe 8X 342ppi would be far less if it were 4.5" or 4.8". The resolution of 1280x768 is more relavent because it is a 1-to-1 scale correlation to the old WP7 resolution and the 720 is not. All this means is that a 768 screen will use the full screen to display old data without scale issues while the 720 screen may introduce workarounds. But if I am not in the market for the 920, this tangent is mute.

Samsung has its benefits. I think the 4.8" screen be a better media viewing experience for those who watch movies or surf often than 4.3". (When you are 2-3 feet from your screen, you will probably will not notice Pentile vs RGB) Its SD card will come in handy for movie and music downloads. The SD card will also come in handy more for late adopters who only get 7GB of Skydrive storage.

So I think HTC has better technology while Samsung has 'bigger' specs. If I didn't know about the 920 which hits the sweet spot between specs and technology, my choice would be difficult. I would not care about the SD slot of Samsung because of 25GB of Skydrive. I would not care about the Beats of HTC because I am not an audiophile. I care about pictures but I also care about a comfortable mobile movie experience. I would settle for the 8X (by 55/45 margin) because I take more pictures with a phone than I watch movies.

But here is the kicker, I don't think the 8X is HTC's flagship WP8 phone... (My Titan tells me it is getting nervous because it senses its successor)

Wow! Thank you for the reply ebsn but if u could explain a little on these points as I am not sure I understood you well:

"The resolution of 1280x768 is more relavent because it is a 1-to-1 scale correlation to the old WP7 resolution and the 720 is not. All this means is that a 768 screen will use the full screen to display old data without scale issues while the 720 screen may introduce workarounds. But if I am not in the market for the 920, this tangent is mute."

So is the L920 a better screen, ppi-wise?

Sent from my RaZr on JB!

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow! Thank you for the reply ebsn but if u could explain a little on these points as I am not sure I understood you well:

"The resolution of 1280x768 is more relavent because it is a 1-to-1 scale correlation to the old WP7 resolution and the 720 is not. All this means is that a 768 screen will use the full screen to display old data without scale issues while the 720 screen may introduce workarounds. But if I am not in the market for the 920, this tangent is mute."

So is the L920 a better screen, ppi-wise?

Sent from my RaZr on JB!

Like I mentioned before, I am not that concerned with ppi size. If you look/research some 'spec' sites, it will say that the 8X has a higher density ppi than the L920. Many may translate this as better. But ppi only matters to me if the screen diagnol size is the same. If you take the 8X from 4.3" to 4.5", its ppi density will be lower than the 920. Because of the resolution difference. Resolution matters, the screen size is personal preference.

Now what I was refering to in my post is the ratio and how 768 is a better resolution ratio wise than 720 if you consider all WP7 apps are in 800x480 resolution. Here is why.

800x480 (multiple 1.6) equals 1280x768

So the 1280x768 screens will faithfully represent old content of WP7 because the ratio is standard across the length and the width. The 1280x720 screens will have to introduce scale stretching across the width or black bars to show a lot of WP7 content. (Up untill developers are given SDK to update their app resolution; but since there is no all or nothing here, some apps will remain not updated)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb