Why does Google hold events on days Microsoft has already chosen for big events?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The people who run Google have some kind of insecurity when it comes to their competitors. From their tech talks and device unveilings I get the impression that they are afraid of Windows Phone taking some of their market share. I used to be active on an Android forum and the fans had a very similar attitude as well.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there's a large number of Apple and Android partisans who troll WP articles and forums. They don't do the same for BB or Symbian or webOS, which tells me there's some insecurity amongst the "true believers."

One of the more annoying things is how any coverage or comment about Apple that is less than fawning is decried by The Horde as "Apple-bashing," but if an article runs with factual inaccuracies bashing Microsoft, any effort to respond with facts is dismissed as "hyper-sensitive Microsoft fanboys."

And then there are the online tech articles that start off with sentences like "Let's face it, there's no sector of the tech marketplace that Apple hasn't completely transformed with revolutionary innovations, and..." or "It's no secret that Google is in it to win it with its latest cool idea..." or "It's common knowledge that Microsoft has been irrelevant in technology for a while, the question is, will Windows 8 and its associated products be able to slow down its inevitable catastrophic collapse?"

Meh, whatever. Tech media lives in an alternate universe where Macs and iOS have 100% marketshare and everyone is a metrosexual hipster living in the Mission. :p

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
WP8 is part of a new ecosystem. What is there on the nexus that is so new they couldn't catch up on it later? Most send multiple people to events these days, bloggers are a dime a dozen. So two or three go to each one instead of 4 or 6. Don't think it's that big of a deal.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What is Gorilla warfare?

Guerrilla warfare is a form of irregular warfare in which a small group of combatants use military tactics, such as ambushes, sabotage, raids, petty warfare, the element of surprise, and extraordinary mobility to harass a larger and less-mobile traditional army, or strike a vulnerable target, and withdraw almost immediately.

Smart mlm1950 :)

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This is a cutthroat industry. Any of the big three will do whatever it takes to steal thunder from any of the others. It really makes no difference outside of our world (phone enthusiast) because the average phone customer could care less about tech articles or reviews, they simply go into a Verizon store and say "ooh,I like the red one, does it have Facebook?" Android app developers will likely stay with android, at least until Microsoft gains more market share and proves itself to be a true competitor, which I am sure they eventually will. But right now I see Google's move to be not out of fear, but more out of just being a prick.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Come to think of it, if this a fairly standard industry practice and Company giants all doing whatever (Gorilla warfare) to each other whenever possible, why is Microsoft always kind and releasing apps for them whilst they have never released anything for WP since it came out 2 years ago? Microsoft even planning on releasing Office for Android and iOS in 2013. Is Microsoft afraid? or trying to be a Mother? I understand when it comes to the market size and all about Benjamins, but it should be tit for tat. Microsoft should stop offering them good services if they are not doing same for us......maybe I'm missing something and you can make me understand.

One will say WP market size is soo tiny that Google refuses to release anything for them...some sort of market demand should be in play...BUT, if you are a big company like Google and really want your services to be popular and widespread (Google+ challenging Facebook), will you think about the Market share of a competitor before releasing an app for it? Does Facebook think about market share of a mobile OS before releasing it's app? They just release it no matter what because they want it to be used and popular...more benjamins :D

Google should just understand that, not all consumers will love their mobile OS but at least one consumer will use at least one of their services. (I for one use Google scholar, Gogle+, Google Drive as a backup to my Skydrive and Google maps A LOT) Why shouldn't I have an app for any of these Google services? Because my beloved WP OS is a competitor with a tiny market share and there's no demand? Why should Google punish me if I'm not using Android OS? and why should they force me to use it? SMH

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The trouble is that Microsoft is simultaneously "irrelevant in the modern age" and "an evil monopolist" (despite Apple being larger and Google being a peer).

So if Microsoft aggressively competes, in come the Eurocrats waving their "consent orders" (printed on Euros, since plain paper is worth more than a Euro these days). :D Those orders shake out $5 billion to $10 billion.

And if Microsoft doesn't aggressively compete, they get steamrolled by the Apple and Google hordes.

So Microsoft is in a uniquely unfair position -- effectively banned by foreign governments from competing in their own industry.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Okay, this wayyyy off the mark and has nothing to do with this thread at all.

But that exec was pretty hot.

It's not exactly on topic, but I am just saying that Google wants to profit and the way you gain the most profit is to be a monopoly. If MS dies in the market space they are competing with Google, Google will rake in the cash like there's no tomorrow. Same applies for MS too.

And the potshots both sides take at one another? Googlighting is only but one of them. Doing the same day event thing? It is how you steal the thunder of your rival's new product. 'Look, we got something even more flashy than our rival's product!'

Note that Apple's doing the whole iPad mini event on Oct 23rd. I will say that, while it's not the same day as the W8 launch, it is definitely a shot against the Surface and the whole Android tablet contingent. It's Apple saying, 'smaller tablets are important? Don't worry, we got them covered and we do it better.'

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm 100% convinced that Microsoft will get more attention than Google when that day comes.

Although I hope you are correct, I highly doubt it. Most bloggers scoff at WP, and you can bet the house that until WP gains popularity, anything Android or Apple will always bring more attention from the media. Especially if it happens to be a nexus device, let alone 3.

I really want to see Microsoft get the attention it deserves, but it just is not likely to happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
...because there are the trolls of the tech world, having Eric Schmidt as chairman speaks for it self, the jack *** of the tech industry

This.

90% of Google's business is dealing in information which does not belong to them. Making money by serving it up to other people. Stealing other people's ideas. Undermining innovation by developing crap knockoffs of other people's stuff and giving it away for free while info-mining their "customers"

That is why I laugh when I hear the fandroids crowing about how wonderful Google is and all this "don't be evil" nonsense. Google is one of the least ethical companies in the tech industry.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Look at what happened when Motorola/Google released their phones on the same day as Nokia - everyone was talking about the 920 and barely anyone cared about the new Razr phones. In a way Google having their releases on the same day as MS could be a good thing - people can directly compare how the new Nexus is the same, just with better specs while WP8 is a brand new experience.

This.

90% of Google's business is dealing in information which does not belong to them. Making money by serving it up to other people. Stealing other people's ideas. Undermining innovation by developing crap knockoffs of other people's stuff and giving it away for free while info-mining their "customers"

That is why I laugh when I hear the fandroids crowing about how wonderful Google is and all this "don't be evil" nonsense. Google is one of the least ethical companies in the tech industry.

Agree with your post. Many people think of Google as a more ethical alternative to Microsoft but if they ever took a closer look at Google's ways they would realize that Google is a pretty sleazy company.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If google is ripping off the other OS's. Can nothing be done since Google's OS is open source ? Can someone answer this?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am old enough to remember the original PC wars (when I was in elementary and middle school) in the 1980s. As far as magazines were concerned, there was only one player -- Apple -- and one other, IBM.

Meanwhile, Commodore was selling more 64s than the rest of the industry was selling computers, combined. They were almost completely ignored by the "professional press," and even today, a history of personal computing glosses over the best-selling personal computer of all time. Robert X. Cringlely claimed to not know anything about Commodore other than "it was a stock scam."

A "stock scam" that proved that personal computers could be powerful AND accessible to the "masses, not the classes" as Jack Tramiel put it. It laid the groundwork for Microsoft Windows and the PC revolution that put a PC on every desktop.

You have to understand that the tech press is VERY elitist. They live in San Francisco and NYC, and are convinced that those are the only two places that matter. Expensive stuff is great, cost is no object -- in fact, if you are a middle-class person who wants performance and buys an Android, you're scorned at. (One article on a top tech blog claimed that "Android phones are for the unbanked" [eg people who cannot afford banking services]).

It's an elitist row. Even after WP has 25% or more of the market, it will STILL be belittled and ignored by the same elitists who write tech articles that put the Macintosh half of the article first and give it as much space as the Windows part, even though the Mac is a tiny niche machine with around 10% of total US share (and under 4% globally). We just have to accept that the tech press is not an accurate mirror of our society. Don't look to it for insight on the "real world."

Most people use Windows. Lots of people still use BlackBerry (and want another one). And more people use Windows Phone now than used iPods back when the tech press was breathlessly extolling the virtues of "Apple's digital music revolution."

(And for the record, I live in one of the two cities the tech press swarms in and know a lot of the writers personally, so I can doubly vouch for their myopia. One of these days, I will tell all of you about one well-known columnist's insistence that Excel was "overrated" and that spreadsheet users just couldn't wait to switch to Apple's "Numbers" in its iWork package). :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes