iOS user and Windows Phone user, WORRIED about the future of WP

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The only ones that should be WORRIED about the future of Windows Phone are Microsoft and Nokia. I doubt Microsoft is worried. Nokia might be a little worried because they have more to lose, but perhaps they are feeling more confident on the platform based on what WP8 has to offer.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Brief history of gadgets owned.

Every Single iPhone (even the 5), All 3 iPads
Motorola Droid 1, Nexus one, SGS2, Droid Razr Maxx, SGS3, (Nexus 7 tablet)

The HTC Titan and the Lumia 900.

BTW i'm totally buying the Lumia 920...

i'm just really disappointed that there's almost no Apps for windows phone STILL...

a) You are SO rich!
b) 100,000 + is not "almost no apps" by any statistical measurements.

Of course I will agree that if everyone on this planet was to afford a WP, we might have 7 billion WPs and if each user had an app of their liking, then *may be* 100,000 apps are as good as almost nothing compared to expected 7 billion unique apps.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The only ones that should be WORRIED about the future of Windows Phone are Microsoft and Nokia. I doubt Microsoft is worried. Nokia might be a little worried because they have more to lose, but perhaps they are feeling more confident on the platform based on what WP8 has to offer.

Nokia has got everything to lose should the bet on WP not work out. Another transition will kill this company.

For me though, I believe that users have a right to be worried in some ways over the future of WP. Only thing is, are those fears real, or just a case of much-ado-about-nothing? After all, MS is still keeping details quiet over the OS.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe that users have a right to be worried in some ways over the future of WP. Only thing is, are those fears real, or just a case of much-ado-about-nothing? After all, MS is still keeping details quiet over the OS.

Why would I as an end-user be worried about how much money I will spend in future on a device?

When I buy a TV or a game console - I so surely don't worry about the future of that company. I buy it because I either need it or just want to spoil myself i.e. I want it. I don't give a rat's booty on what happens to their marketshare or their future "updates".
Of course if more people bought the same TV as me, the TV making guys will be happy and hire more people to make even more awesome TV when I want a new one(?) but I won't really care if the company shuts down tomorrow morning, because I've paid for a merchandise that I liked on that shop floor at that moment.

BTW, do we know if any of the phones (including iPhones) say it somewhere in their customer charters or T&Cs that "when you buy our phone, we aren't just selling you the hardware but also the software and all their future upgrades and promise to give you 500 new apps every month"?

If no, then why do we even care?! Whatever happens to the company or their software or app developers or swimming pools, you phone will be EXACTLY what they sold you as!
I'm still rocking my Toshiba TG01 (1st snapdragon 1Ghz stuff) with WM6.5 (came with WM6.1) and as we all know that platform is DEAD. My phone works exactly how it worked 4 years ago and I'm happy with what it does even now.

So no, I am not worried about WP or its future but I'm worried about the techo-insane society my kids are growing up in :(

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Why would I as an end-user be worried about how much money I will spend in future on a device?

When I buy a TV or a game console - I so surely don't worry about the future of that company. I buy it because I either need it or just want to spoil myself i.e. I want it. I don't give a rat's booty on what happens to their marketshare or their future "updates".
Of course if more people bought the same TV as me, the TV making guys will be happy and hire more people to make even more awesome TV when I want a new one(?) but I won't really care if the company shuts down tomorrow morning, because I've paid for a merchandise that I liked on that shop floor at that moment.

BTW, do we know if any of the phones (including iPhones) say it somewhere in their customer charters or T&Cs that "when you buy our phone, we aren't just selling you the hardware but also the software and all their future upgrades and promise to give you 500 new apps every month"?

If no, then why do we even care?! Whatever happens to the company or their software or app developers or swimming pools, you phone will be EXACTLY what they sold you as!
I'm still rocking my Toshiba TG01 (1st snapdragon 1Ghz stuff) with WM6.5 (came with WM6.1) and as we all know that platform is DEAD. My phone works exactly how it worked 4 years ago and I'm happy with what it does even now.

So no, I am not worried about WP or its future but I'm worried about the techo-insane society my kids are growing up in :(

Well, Symbian as we know it is all but dead but my E63 functions fine, so I get your point where it stands.

Now however, a device is not just a device. It is a gateway to services and products. Some are provided by the company you are buying the device from, and that's why there should be some care of the company you brought your product from that at least can hit critical mass so services can reach you at a timely pace.

Now, I have to say, I don't care about how whether are the makers of my IEMs the market leader, I just like them for their sound quality. But they work with a specialized function. Not smart devices.

I don't need updates if the phone works, yes. But I do want extensions to the stuff I am using, like how it is on the PC. I believe only with critical mass for a company you can do that. And that's why there should be some concern over companies producing smart devices.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Exactly! That's what I meant by saying the only ones that should worry are the corporations (oh, and also developers) that are heavily invested in the platform. If it all goes down in flames tomorrow, my phone will not stop working (although some server-based features could stop working, I dunno). Bottom line is that I'll just have to chose another platform the next time I get a phone. I might not like it, but what could I do?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, Symbian as we know it is all but dead but my E63 functions fine, so I get your point where it stands.

Now however, a device is not just a device. It is a gateway to services and products. Some are provided by the company you are buying the device from, and that's why there should be some care of the company you brought your product from that at least can hit critical mass so services can reach you at a timely pace.

Now, I have to say, I don't care about how whether are the makers of my IEMs the market leader, I just like them for their sound quality. But they work with a specialized function. Not smart devices.

I don't need updates if the phone works, yes. But I do want extensions to the stuff I am using, like how it is on the PC. I believe only with critical mass for a company you can do that. And that's why there should be some concern over companies producing smart devices.

But these extensions (here apps that the OP is so upset about) should not be our worries anyway. If MSFT doesn't reach critical mass it may well be the time that we don't ever get those apps that OP wants. But someone who wants to use the best smart devices and wants value for their money, shouldn't really invest in a platform that won't fit his/her needs at this very stage.

It's like walking on the road in your shorts on a windy winter night just because *you think* it should be warm on the streets because your friend from Egypt can walk in streets in his shorts at the very same time! You can't do that. You have to wait for summer! ;)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! That's what I meant by saying the only ones that should worry are the corporations (oh, and also developers) that are heavily invested in the platform. If it all goes down in flames tomorrow, my phone will not stop working (although some server-based features could stop working, I dunno). Bottom line is that I'll just have to chose another platform the next time I get a phone. I might not like it, but what could I do?

Exactly! The world existed before 2007 without iPhones and we lived before 2010 without WPs! If they don't get better, we will be just fine!

What is our investment really in the platform? - Few hundred bucks? That's mainly for the hardware you are purchasing. It never says on the box:

?100 for hardware
?120 for WP OS 7.5
?90 for All future WP updates
?120 for all new apps after 1 year
?20 for current apps

Total: ?450 + taxes.

Technically all we are investing in is the hardware. I understand Lumia 900 people worrying about that purple screen or that rubbish camera performance or Lumia 800 guys worrying about battery issues - everything else, meh!

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
But these extensions (here apps that the OP is so upset about) should not be our worries anyway. If MSFT doesn't reach critical mass it may well be the time that we don't ever get those apps that OP wants. But someone who wants to use the best smart devices and wants value for their money, shouldn't really invest in a platform that won't fit his/her needs at this very stage.

It's like walking on the road in your shorts on a windy winter night just because *you think* it should be warm on the streets because your friend from Egypt can walk in streets in his shorts at the very same time! You can't do that. You have to wait for summer! ;)

A weird, if apt, analogy.

I do not agree fully that what we are investing in is just the hardware though. We are investing in what the phone can do for us now, the whole package, hardware and software. The idea of future support in terms of apps is akin to the idea of a warranty - I paid you, now you give me support. Only in this case, consumers are asking for a different kind of support, app support. So just this alone, I don't think that's a bad thing, slightly worrying about the future of the company that gives you the support in terms of ease of writing of apps, the wooing of consumers and developers, etc.

Only when your whole life seems to revolve around the company when you aren't part of the company, then you really need help.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Well the difference was (and i was there on the day 1 ipad)

If there wasn't an iPad app you could just USE the iPhone app blown up. Yes that'snot the same but the point is the app was still there for me to use.

one of the best examples i can give would be for things like Waze GPS.. i'm a HUGE and heavy Wazer now.. i use it and contribute to the Waze GPS community for almost 2 hours of driving every single day... that is a big loss for me switching to WP
Waze community??? Geezus, bro, you need a life. Sorry to be harsh.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It is okay to buy something else if what you're "supposed" to buy isn't working for you.

If thousands of new apps a week are mandatory for you, then iOS is the way to go. There are trade offs there, but you have to factor them in.

oddom

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok i had a lumia 710 on t-mobile and i get that this is a windows phone website but my god your all so jaded and lost in your love for windows phone that admitting that the app selection is a nightmare is hard for you then maybe you should try a new OS. I went from android to ios to windows phone and back to android because i couldn't get apps i wanted on this platform that promised me so much but delivered nothing. I love my galaxy nexus and will watch as WP8 grows and if something catches my eye i will check it out. I had windows phone and had to say i hated everything about it outside of zune and the smothness of the OS.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok i had a lumia 710 on t-mobile and i get that this is a windows phone website but my god your all so jaded and lost in your love for windows phone that admitting that the app selection is a nightmare is hard for you then maybe you should try a new OS. I went from android to ios to windows phone and back to android because i couldn't get apps i wanted on this platform that promised me so much but delivered nothing. I love my galaxy nexus and will watch as WP8 grows and if something catches my eye i will check it out. I had windows phone and had to say i hated everything about it outside of zune and the smothness of the OS.

Did it say on the box that "Lumia 710 now comes with all your Android apps pre-loaded"?

That will be such a fake marketing you know. Perhaps worth suing them if they "promised" you all those apps you miss from your Nexus.

A guy with 2 posts, coming along to say how jaded this community is about "app nightmare"?

We all know that WP doesn't have as many apps as iOS and Android, but we do have majority of regular apps (barring a few word games and bird games). But if you find my or other's opinions jaded, how did you let yourself be jaded into Lumia 710 and NOT read before you buy? A gun on your head?

PS: Sorry for the outburst, but this is what I don't want before I have a coffee in the morning but that's all I've got and they bloody put this thread on the News section! :straight:

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Hehe... wait.. i need a life for using an App in it's sheer purpose that involves traveling? doesn't that sort of in a natural state imply that i'm out moving around doing things?

0.o

I mean.. i guess i could use the Waze app from my house and never move anywhere. :dry

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

I'm not concerned about the company as if to say I actually CARE about what happens to them.

It's more from a stance where i'm concerned about buying a device where the future is bleak in terms of the CONTENT being offered to me Vs. another competitors product- what that offers.

I mean i guess the best description of this is As a Consumer, i'm comparing very specific differences here.

iOS Vs Windows phone and what they will OFFER ME as a consumer.

What i like the MOST about iOS and windows phone is how similar they are in Eco systems.. i love this about windows phone.

Buy Tv shows or movies? watch it forever on Xbox or my device.
Music? same thing.
Apps? soon to be same thing with windows 8.

iOS is a very similar fashion... what i'm doing now is actually comparing apps.

Another one i really love lately is Pocket planes, i know it's just a game. and it's one app... but if we aren't doing this (comparing) then what are we even doing to begin with? just buying devices blindly? :)

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not concerned about the company as if to say I actually CARE about what happens to them.

It's more from a stance where i'm concerned about buying a device where the future is bleak in terms of the CONTENT being offered to me Vs. another competitors product- what that offers.

I mean i guess the best description of this is As a Consumer, i'm comparing very specific differences here.

iOS Vs Windows phone and what they will OFFER ME as a consumer.

What i like the MOST about iOS and windows phone is how similar they are in Eco systems.. i love this about windows phone.

Buy Tv shows or movies? watch it forever on Xbox or my device.
Music? same thing.
Apps? soon to be same thing with windows 8.

iOS is a very similar fashion... what i'm doing now is actually comparing apps.

Another one i really love lately is Pocket planes, i know it's just a game. and it's one app... but if we aren't doing this (comparing) then what are we even doing to begin with? just buying devices blindly? :)

Since you are apparently so big with these just email them or post on their forums that they should develop for WP8 & W8 especially the RT tabs. Most of them have GPS built in and there will be people that use them for directions. They will get a lot of customers that way. But I know that Waze has even discontinued support for Blackberry.

The problem is these companies need to be made more aware of WP8 and W8 and that it will have more users than they think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6