Windows 8 Xbox Music setup

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
So I've been playing with the Windows 8 RTM to prep myself when I get my Surface Pro. One annoyance I'm seeing is playing music. I have my music stored on a NAS that's DLNA supported but how in the world do you play the music??? I've followed the xbox directions in setting up a "virtual link" via [mklink /d <target> <source>] for my Music library; however, this also doesn't work. Switching to desktop I can see the music (folders). Using 'Open File' in Xbox Music also works...but library isn't being populated with the music.

So what am I missing???

SoundsLikeLife

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You probably have to add that folder as a place to look for music in the settings for Xbox Music. I don't have W8 yet, so I can't check for you, but in Zune, you would choose what folders your music is stored in. That way it knows where to look for music, and any changes are automatically reflected in your library.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey Sounds...

I've followed the steps you would like in setting up Zune which reads from Library -> Music. The only difference is that in Windows 8, its a virtual drive map. This option is available when you don't want to make the folder (in this case network) available offline which by the way is a Windows 7 Professional option. So I figured this virtual folder would be great. I can successfully read it in Desktop mode but it seems Xbox music just won't add the music where I can easily play it.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I never did figure it out, got aggrevated and un-installed Win 8. When I re-installed Win 7 I lost access to Zune Pass. MS CSR's can't figure ot why I can't use my Pass anymore. The Pass wouldn't work in Win 8 either. I am pretty disappointed overall.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so if I get this straight, all my music I had on Zune is now automatically synced to the xbox music and transferring it to my win8 laptop. Now I see on my Surface its slowly compiling all music from cloud? OMFG, I just spent an hour copying it to a sd card.
so I could transfer it to my laptop I installed windows 8 on. Can someone confirm this?

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so if I get this straight, all my music I had on Zune is now automatically synced to the xbox music and transferring it to my win8 laptop. Now I see on my Surface its slowly compiling all music from cloud? OMFG, I just spent an hour copying it to a sd card.
so I could transfer it to my laptop I installed windows 8 on. Can someone confirm this?

Yes it is populating the cloud service of Xbox music. The other day I made a new playlist on my RTM W8 machine from music that is store on the W7 side. Last night on my Xbox that list is there and so is all my music. When you get a WP8 device and sign in, it will be there as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium