The most important way that Windows 8 changes the smartphone game

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Today, smartphone apps orbit around the most popular mobile platforms (with the "media elite" preferring iOS apps).

But with the popularity of Windows 8 and Windows RT, apps will be deployed on hundreds of millions of laptops, desktops and tablets over the next six months that will utterly drown out Android and iOS devices in sheer numbers.

And the best mobile platform to run that already-popular Metro tablet/laptop/desktop app on?

Windows Phone 8.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just see it as more revenue for app devs. They'll continue to develop for Android and iOS and apps for Windows 8. I don't see how WP8 comes in.

The question is. How much more effort will it take to port an app from Windows 8 to Windows Phone 8. There's sure to be some hardware restrictions, seeing as WP8/8RT has more memory and faster processor. Like, how easy is it to port from the iPad to the iPhone?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with the Facebook app? I use it daily and it does everything I need it to. Prefer it to the desktop version.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I just see it as more revenue for app devs. They'll continue to develop for Android and iOS and apps for Windows 8. I don't see how WP8 comes in.

Flip a switch in the compiler, produce a WP8 version with little/no additional effort, add millions of additional potential users for little/no surplus cost.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to see that to believe that. How would controls be handled. What a memory management. What about graphic concerns.

But if that's the case. This would put WP8 into an entire different league. I'd use my upgrade on a new WP device over the Android I was thinking about switching too.

Can you access the file system on W8 RT

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I believe you have access to windows explorer on RT since you can get to control panel and the desktop just like on Pro.

WP8 does not look like W8 besides the start screen. Of course that is pretty much all we have seen of W8 or WP8 so maybe they are the same UI for both. I just know in WP7.5 menus are on pivots and scroll, the settings menus I have seen in w8 are just along the bottom. Makes it hard for me to believe you just flip a compiler switch and it makes all those pivots and what nots for wp8.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Flip a switch in the compiler, produce a WP8 version with little/no additional effort, add millions of additional potential users for little/no surplus cost.

its not quite THAT easy. There are some differences between WinRT and the WinRT on the phone. You'll probably see ~90% portability. Obviously the UI needs to be redesigned.

Still, a near no brained for ports.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss