Kid's Corner

aer127

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else think that the kid's corner functionality will be useful for those of us without kid's too? I think it will be nice to be able to throw some commonly used apps there such as weather, ESPN, etc. so you can access them without having to bother unlocking the phone.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not quite sure how kids corner works yet, so cannot really say yes or no. If it is like a place where we can place any apps we want, yes it could be convenient. Like a single "folder".

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Not quite sure how kids corner works yet, so cannot really say yes or no. If it is like a place where we can place any apps we want, yes it could be convenient. Like a single "folder".

Well technically it does work like that to a degree. You swipe left with your finger and get to the Kid's Corner "lock screen". Swipe up and bam you are now in a silo'd start screen with whatever tiles you've pinned and made available to this alternate home.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Left then right? Is this some sort of puzzle? How do you get out of kids corner?

Swipe finger to the left = move to pane right of the normal lock screen. Then swipe up like you would on the normal lock screen to open. To go back to normal lock screen, you simply turn off the screen and turn it back on.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Swipe finger to the left = move to pane right of the normal lock screen. Then swipe up like you would on the normal lock screen to open. To go back to normal lock screen, you simply turn off the screen and turn it back on.

So does this mean it will take a kid 5.3 seconds longer to get into the full phone??? I know we don't have a lot of details yet, but not so sure how effective this will be.

Let me know if I'm missing something! This has potential!

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

So nothing keeps the kids in the kids corner unless you have a screen lock? That sucks. But they cannot get to the normal start screen without locking the phone first?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
So nothing keeps the kids in the kids corner unless you have a screen lock? That sucks. But they cannot get to the normal start screen without locking the phone first?

Why would you want them in the main start if you setup the Kid's corner for them? And yes the whole point is that you are trying to keep people (kids or otherwise) from accessing your main start screen so they don't have full access to the device so of course it's expected that you would have a lock code if you are using the feature.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I took my pin code off, because its a pain everytime i want to change music or something.

Kids corner will be brilliant for just adding camera and music player to, so i don't need to keep unlocking the phone.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, i hate screen locks because it is just inconvenient. I wish you could lock down certain apps. Lock my phone (except emergency) and lock email.

I mean I guess if I am going to give it to my kids I could turn on the screen lock. Just a bit of a hassle when they could have just as easily made a code sequence to get back to the main start. Then only if I go into the corner would i have to enter a code to get my phone back on. If my normal phone start is on when I lock the phone, when I turn it back on, I swipe up and no passlock needed. Simple.

Yakkaimono

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So if I understand your method correctly, what exactly would stop your kid from bypassing kid's corner completely and just unlock your phone by swiping up if it isn't password protected?
Or are you saying that you yourself would open the kid's corner and only then give the phone to your kid?
Then your approach would work but I don't think that's what most people would want. Those who would use that feature would probably just drop their phone somewhere when they are home and tend to other stuff without having to worry about kids playing with it more then they are supposed to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos