Skype integration

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Why do people so often look for technical answers to these types of questions? Given the will and some investors, engineers are usually extremely good at solving these types of technical challenges.

The truth is: it's about each VOIP service trying to become the first world's first truly global telecom company. None of them want an app that levels the playing field and makes them all interchangeable. It's about business and legal matters.

if u actually read my whole comment u would probably have read this part

"then there is probably licensing issues as well... who knows, but im guessing they don't want to have those things interact with software they (the companies) don't have control over"

ur basically completely ignoring the fact that not all tech are the same and messengers aren't all the same, which is why they have to compete and improve so we can have better things, one such example is exactly skype, back then skype wasn't the only one doing VOIP, but they were the only one that did it well enough that it became feasible

MSN and Yahoo both had VOIP, but they were crap, heck they even had video before Skype did, the landscape now a days has changed, u can't be taken seriously when technicallity is completely ignored

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so is it illegal to create a program that can talk to Facetime, skype, tango, or any other VOIP program without licensing? I don't see why it would be. As long as you are not using the skype logo, or stealing their code, it should be legal to write code that can accept a skype call, and place a call to skype without being skype. same with facetime.

I can guarantee that you could easily get some cash for this program if a engineer creates it. Sure you may only get a years worth of revenue before apple and MS allow their native programs to talk to the other, but still it should pay off the time investment.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so is it illegal to create a program that can talk to Facetime, skype, tango, or any other VOIP program without licensing?

i don't think it's illegal, otherwise trillion(and kik) would have been shutdown, but the companies can deliberately block unauthorized access to their system (similar to and probably worse than how youtube is handled)

the thing is, most of these services has been free to us, the company has to make money somehow and usually by ads (or premium versions, but I've never seen anyone pay for it around me) if someone else creates a program and siphon those revenue, i highly doubt they would stay quiet, in a way the collaboration between MS and Yahoo would not have been necessary if there is no hurdles

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont think any revenue would be stolen though. The reasons most people use the services is because they are free. If they were not, they would just find another way. Premium services would still draw the users to the original program service. Skype premium lets you do group video chat. So block any group requests from this 3rd party app and post up an ad instructing the user that Skype Premium will allow what they want and have a link to it. And who cares if Skype tries to block the 3rd party app. They can find a way around the block. Should not be too difficult. I mean look how fast Jail breaks and unlocks happen in the mobile world. Same day iOS6 comes out its basically jail broken.

I use Kik. What service are they allowing users to communicate with besides kik? I had my brother install it on his iphone, and my mother on her BB so we dont have to pay for texting plans. But we all have kik. Can I use Kik to communicate with BB messenger or something?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I use Kik. What service are they allowing users to communicate with besides kik?

Lalalala.... lol, this is the part where i say oops... I meant IM+... i got those two mixed up

as far as block goes, i don't know what they can do, but they can definitely make it a pain in the butt if they really want to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention