Would a single hardware shortcoming stop you from buying a device?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I hope WP Central Nation helps me out here.

A conversation started with a couple of other phone geeks. It came out of reading some comments in which a single aspect of a device keeps coming up in threads about two of our three flagships. I do not want to say what it is, but I do NOT believe it would actually keep someone from buying a device of their choice.

Basically, that lead to the conversation (in other words: argument) in which if any one hardware item would keep buyers away. Some of these options I say yes, but most I say no. So... I will ask people I like and trust. The software side of things, WP, is assured. No one is on this site if you do not like the OS. This is strictly a hardware thing.

For this poll, assume two things:

1) Close your eyes, and picture your favorite OEM pushing a WP on your carrier of choice. No limitations.

2) Price isn't a factor. Imagine if you will that your contract is up, you have just hit 5 of your 6 numbers of your lottery ticket, and it is Black Friday cheap.

I am just curious: Would any one hardware shortcoming keep you from buying an otherwise good WP?

I have a friendly wager involved. Please respond, gang!!!

Last edited:

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Nah. One hardware shortcoming wouldn't stop me... Honestly, there isn't a single device that is out there that I would consider "perfect" for me.

So unless my 6th number of my lotto ticket hits and I can get someone to customize a phone for me from the ground up, I think it will always be that way.

920 just happens to be the closest to "perfect" IMHO :)

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Need ultra-thin, ultra-light, 4", all-week battery life, 8-cores, 6 billion apps(90% exclusive), and the lightening connector.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Screen too big is just about the only definite no-go for me at the moment. I'm going for the Lumia 920, but tbh I find that already too big too. I just hope the screens stop trending towards even bigger. I was quite fine with my 3,5" N8, so going to 4,5" is gonna require some adaptation, but I truely hope I will never have to go over 4,5".

That said, insufficient battery is definitely another. It needs to last 1 day with my heavy use (not necessarily anyone elses "heavy use"). I have no use for a phone if it's battery doesnt keep me connected to the world all day. I can charge every night, I dont need more than 1 day battery life, really.

Battery. Anything under 2000 won't cut it.

Funny, my N8 has 1300 :D It's not that simple as just looking at the number. It depends on screen, screen size and the guts inside. My N8 lasts perfectly fine with 1300. The Lumia 920 probably wouldnt come even close, cos it most likely consumes a lot more battery due to various reasons. Naturally we should only consider modern phones in this discussion, I guess :D

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well i'm a big screen high res guy. the L920 being perfect size. ATIVs somewhat big but doable the 8x great screen res but the I wanted something a little bigger than 4.3 I'm holding for now T-Mo user.

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
you forgot sturdiness

i was so excited for the iphone 5 until i saw that there were bending and scratching issues. now i am not getting that device.

i wanted an ios device, but the hardware is not good enough. so theres no ios device i want. i started looking at other phone os's. android is old, i dont like it. blackberry is older and i like it even less.. but they both feel about the same to me. windows phone is pretty cool. and the lumia 920 is sturdy and well designed. I'm getting it.

CoolBeit

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Screen quality (not size)

It's gotta be ips lcd for me. No amoled or pentile for me anymore. This is just a personal hangup. Nothing really wrong with the other technologies, but after owning a pentile for awhile and envying everyone's iphone screens, it's become my one requirement.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Battery is the only thing that would make me not buy a new device. I need a battery to last all day with the streaming I do while riding the bus and doing my errands. :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Cellular reception would be the killer for me. I had a Galaxy Nexus and it was pretty much useless at our second house in northern Michigan. Despite the fact that we are just outside of a large city up there, I had no LTE, rarely had 3G (and when I did, it was slooooow), and it just ate through the battery in no time flat.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
For me, the responsiveness and ease of use of the touchscreen is most important. If I can't type on the device, I won't buy it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Cellular reception would be the killer for me. I had a Galaxy Nexus and it was pretty much useless at our second house in northern Michigan. Despite the fact that we are just outside of a large city up there, I had no LTE, rarely had 3G (and when I did, it was slooooow), and it just ate through the battery in no time flat.
Scout, I wanted to get reception on the list, but with only 10 options and the fact to satisfy the bet I needed to get certain options on there I had not enough room. I am with you on that. It is one of the things I require, I use it as an actual phone (GASP!!) a ton.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For me, the responsiveness and ease of use of the touchscreen is most important. If I can't type on the device, I won't buy it.
Laughed a lot when I read that... leave it to you to come up with one I didn't even consider. Tough audience.

:-D

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Bad Camera and or Battery life, makes me turn off on a device. Is like an off switch for my interest.

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The thing making me wait this round is the SoC being used. Adreno 225 is weak, and is already basically outdated. The dual core CPU is fine, but having a weak GPU that legs behind competitors AGAIN makes me just want to wait, especially since I'm on Straight Talk and have to wait for outright prices to drop anyway...

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
depends on the size of the shortcoming...

a 1mp camera would be a problem... a battery that lasts 30minutes is a problem... a phone that weighs 8lbs is a problem.

I dont need the phone to be the best in every single category, but any category that is TOO far off the curve could nix the device from consideration. I dont feel that is the case for any of the 3 phones Im being presented though.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So far... surprising. Of the two areas I thought WOULD make people walk away from a device, one is polling fairly low. A couple of the ones I thought weren't important are actually appearing very important. And the one I read so much about that I mentioned in the first post of this thread is doing about what I thought.

As for my wager? Sigh... verdict still out. Dang it people, be psychic and help me win!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss