Mad about upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Is it me or am I the only one that thinks this is "NUTS" Good god man if people are not crying that they can't get the L920 they are crying because they bought something last year on a two year deal and now they can't upgrade. did you read the contract? jeez read before you sign.. the Mobile tech world is changing fast with new devices coming every three months or so... and major updates at lest every 20 months WP7 was the foundation for WP8 as is WP8 is the foundation for WP9 in 24 months or so...it's just how it works. enjoy what you have and when you go to bed tonight remember this half the world has gone to bed hungry!!

You are nuts, thats for sure. I am not crying about anything. I am complaining, and last I checked that was still legal on the internet. If all other mobile devices operated the same way, I would agree that I was nuts for wanting an update less than a year later. But EVERY other platform does not prohibit updates just because the OS changed its number. Iphone 4 was SC chip. It was updated to the newest OS that ran on the 4s which had a DC chip. AMAZING. How was that technically possible? You think iOS4 was written for DC? No. Do you think iOS5 was written for DC, yes. But somehow with double the computing power and double the graphics power apple was able to implement their OS on the last gen device. It is just so shocking that they could have achieved such a monumental achievement.

Glad I do not believe everything I read on the internet as gospel. I would think designing a DC capable OS was impossible to implement on a SC legacy device. Not sure how windows has done it on their desktop OS for all these years either. Must be magic. The same exact OS that ran on a P3 computer could run on a Quad core and vice versa. **** win 7 can run on a 32bit 1ghz SC chip. Simply astonishing.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Android users get left behind all the time. You are whining (complaining like a little girl is generally referred to as whining). You sound like all the iSheep every year complaining how ATT is screwing the early adopters by not letting them upgrade their 3gs to the 4 or 4 to the 4s or 4s to the 5. You signed a 2 year contract and they subsidized your phone purchase. Either buy a new phone off contract or wait until they will subsidize a new one.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
They didn't have to do it.

I don't think you know what ur talking about.

Perhaps they didn't. I don't work for Microsoft and chances are you don't either. We can speculate one way or the other all day without KNOWING anything. Unfortunately, what they decided to do has happened. Clean break from all of the old technologies, fresh start with a brand new ecosystem. It's unfortunate, as I said, that Nokia launched a "flagship" phone so close to the launch of Windows 8. Unfortunate, but probably necessary, given the slide they were, and are still, on. They had to come out with a phone. They are a phone OEM. If they don't make phones (forgetting the maps business and any other minute side businesses they have) what do they do? Bleed cash? The timing was just off.

But give it a year, a year and 6 months, and no one will care. All of the current WP7 devices, with the exception of the low-end devices like the Lumia 510 that are currently launching with WP7.5, will have been replaced or upgraded to WP8. The world will go on.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The Windows PC platform was something I was going to bring up. My laptop is almost 4 years old and it runs Windows 8 great. Maybe not quite 4, it has the first Intel i3 chip in it.

Windows is MS bread and butter, so they put forth the effort to make sure Windows 8 runs on older hardware. WIndows phone 7 is just a drop in the bucket for them, so why waste the time refining the software to work on "older" phones. Maybe they had a release date they wanted to meet, and getting WP8 working on "older" phones wouldn't allow them to meet the deadline.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Android users get left behind all the time. You are whining (complaining like a little girl is generally referred to as whining). You sound like all the iSheep every year complaining how ATT is screwing the early adopters by not letting them upgrade their 3gs to the 4 or 4 to the 4s or 4s to the 5. You signed a 2 year contract and they subsidized your phone purchase. Either buy a new phone off contract or wait until they will subsidize a new one.

I dont care about buying a new phone if I want one before my contract is up. I care about not having my OS updated to the newest because of some invented reasoning. "New phones are DC, no way it will work on a SC. You need a new phone for that."

The Windows PC platform was something I was going to bring up. My laptop is almost 4 years old and it runs Windows 8 great. Maybe not quite 4, it has the first Intel i3 chip in it.

Windows is MS bread and butter, so they put forth the effort to make sure Windows 8 runs on older hardware. WIndows phone 7 is just a drop in the bucket for them, so why waste the time refining the software to work on "older" phones. Maybe they had a release date they wanted to meet, and getting WP8 working on "older" phones wouldn't allow them to meet the deadline.

Agreed. WP is not their bread and butter but experts keep claiming that MS NEEDs to be a player in the mobile world to continue to be relevant. MS is obviously in agreement. Hence w8, w8rt, surface, etc. They are just choosing to not support those who supported them. At least thats how it feels. **** 7.8 wasnt even thought about till they received an internet lashing after stating wp8 was not coming to wp7 devices. They realized how pissed off people were and a few months later we hear of this 7.8 update.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. WP is not their bread and butter but experts keep claiming that MS NEEDs to be a player in the mobile world to continue to be relevant. MS is obviously in agreement. Hence w8, w8rt, surface, etc. They are just choosing to not support those who supported them. At least thats how it feels. **** 7.8 wasnt even thought about till they received an internet lashing after stating wp8 was not coming to wp7 devices. They realized how pissed off people were and a few months later we hear of this 7.8 update.

So you would rather have MS continue to trudge on with WP7 instead of moving on to the much more powerful WP8 that can actually be integrated more fully with PCs and tablets? As much as it hurts to believe, it's better that they did it now when their adoption rate was so low that they somewhat minimized how many people got left out in the cold. At least WP7.8 will bring some new functionality and continue to run smoothly. I don't know anyone who can say that their Android device runs well by the end of their contract.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would not call it trudging on. When MS came up with win8 they did not say all old drivers and equipment will no longer work. **** drivers from vista are working in win8 rt. Seems more and more like they just drew an arbitrary line in the sand and said, no, wp7 devices will not get wp8. Iphone 4 gets ios6, so its not impossible by any stretch. iphone 5 is twice as powerful as iphone 4s which was twice as powerful as iphone 4. Biggest problem on iphone 4 with ios6 is battery drain. Duh, takes more CPU to run ios6 so iphone 4 needs to work harder. Apple will still be pushing to make ios6 lighter on iphone5 resources and that will benefit iphone4 as well.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I would not call it trudging on. When MS came up with win8 they did not say all old drivers and equipment will no longer work. **** drivers from vista are working in win8 rt. Seems more and more like they just drew an arbitrary line in the sand and said, no, wp7 devices will not get wp8. Iphone 4 gets ios6, so its not impossible by any stretch. iphone 5 is twice as powerful as iphone 4s which was twice as powerful as iphone 4. Biggest problem on iphone 4 with ios6 is battery drain. Duh, takes more CPU to run ios6 so iphone 4 needs to work harder. Apple will still be pushing to make ios6 lighter on iphone5 resources and that will benefit iphone4 as well.

While the iOS comparison may seem applicable, you have to remember that (as far as I'm aware and people can correct me if I'm wrong), iOS is still running the same basic code base that it has for years. Switching to an entirely different kernel brings out a LOT more compatibility issues than just adding a few features here and there. I will say that I'd be disappointed as a WP7 owner if app developers were to abandon it completely and code only for WP8. Unfortunately, that's a risk we all take when we buy the latest and greatest tech out there. There's always a successor that's already being developed in the wings.

As another example, look at the people who had BB OS6 devices and found out that they couldn't be upgraded to OS7. It looks just as similar to OS6 as WP8 does to WP7.

CoolBeit

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I would not call it trudging on. When MS came up with win8 they did not say all old drivers and equipment will no longer work. **** drivers from vista are working in win8 rt.

If you believe this, I would suggest you don't buy a win rt tablet or you are going to be very, very sad....

I'm not saying this to be an a$$. Just letting you know what you really want is the x86 tablet if you're looking for compatibility with "drivers from Vista."

Also, I do believe you have a valid gripe. It sucks to sign a 2-year contract and then not even have support for that entire two years. Is 2 years really too much to ask in terms of support for a $600+ device? I don't think so. That said I do think Microsoft made the tough decision here for the better of their product. They knew it would piss off a lot of customers, but they had the choice between pissing off customers and not making the product they really wanted to make.

This is in contrast with most android oems. They often fail to upgrade purely for short-term financial gains *cough*motorola*cough*.

So, I know it is frustrating to have a company abandon your phone before you've even gotten through your contract. But I truly do think Microsoft made a forward-thinking decision here. And, to be fair, they did put wp7.8 out there, so they didn't dump you completely.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
At&t says I can't upgrade until June! I bought four Titans for my family plan when they first came out last year. I feel like we are being punished for jumping on Mango.
I'm REALLY glad I didn't wait for the Nokia 900, then I'd be stuck waiting to upgrade until almost 2014!

Shame on you At&t and Microsoft for not caring about your faithful Mango users.

Its not ATT's fault its a MS technology decision! The kernel was changed from CE to NT Its done its over with its not going to change! Call it whining call it anger call it whatever you want, you might as well stop because nothing you can say or do will EVER change what's happened. Move on to fight about the future that you might just have a chance in winning! Its a whole lot more productive!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you believe this, I would suggest you don't buy a win rt tablet or you are going to be very, very sad....

I'm not saying this to be an a$$. Just letting you know what you really want is the x86 tablet if you're looking for compatibility with "drivers from Vista."

Also, I do believe you have a valid gripe. It sucks to sign a 2-year contract and then not even have support for that entire two years. Is 2 years really too much to ask in terms of support for a $600+ device? I don't think so. That said I do think Microsoft made the tough decision here for the better of their product. They knew it would piss off a lot of customers, but they had the choice between pissing off customers and not making the product they really wanted to make.

This is in contrast with most android oems. They often fail to upgrade purely for short-term financial gains *cough*motorola*cough*.

So, I know it is frustrating to have a company abandon your phone before you've even gotten through your contract. But I truly do think Microsoft made a forward-thinking decision here. And, to be fair, they did put wp7.8 out there, so they didn't dump you completely.

There are 2006 drivers in windows 8 RT. Its noted in a office RT review I saw on youtube.

2:10 on the following video.
Windows RT's Secret Desktop Apps - YouTube

Granted this is windows not windows phone, but its historically how windows keeps legacy components working. A 6 year old driver is used in the bundled components of RT. Did not even call it a new driver with new date just to hide it. Just used the old driver as is.

Compilers make writing code for different kernels possible. MS could have designed a compiler to take the same features and had them work in wp7 devices on the CE kernel. At least many of them I bet. That is what they did to make wp7 into wp8. Both have the same dialer, same people hub, same email hub, same on so many parts. They rewrote it for wp8. So most of the phone is wp7 just recompiled for wp8. Not sure why it is so difficult to do it the other way.

But whatever. I will stop complaining about something which should be the basis of any good company. Customer service and support.

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its not ATT's fault its a MS technology decision! The kernel was changed from CE to NT Its done its over with its not going to change! Call it whining call it anger call it whatever you want, you might as well stop because nothing you can say or do will EVER change what's happened. Move on to fight about the future that you might just have a chance in winning! Its a whole lot more productive!

It was over and done with and then they said they were doing 7.8. So it must not be completely over and done with.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Buy it out of contract like ifans do! If you play with it and you like it why cry about it! My wife does this all the time! Not due for an upgrade add a line and give the old one to the kid, dad, mom, mother in law, ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon