Mad about upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
At&t says I can't upgrade until June! I bought four Titans for my family plan when they first came out last year. I feel like we are being punished for jumping on Mango.
I'm REALLY glad I didn't wait for the Nokia 900, then I'd be stuck waiting to upgrade until almost 2014!

Shame on you At&t and Microsoft for not caring about your faithful Mango users.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
not sure I understand the confusion here...

I mean... we all knew the score. been this way for 10 years. you get an upgrade every 2 years. What did you think would happen?

You got your discount, now you want to upgrade a year later... they arent stopping you, but they wont subsidize your purchase again.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
At&t says I can't upgrade until June! I bought four Titans for my family plan when they first came out last year. I feel like we are being punished for jumping on Mango.
I'm REALLY glad I didn't wait for the Nokia 900, then I'd be stuck waiting to upgrade until almost 2014!

That's how 2 year plans work. There's nothing much you can say, the update situation does suck.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
not sure I understand the confusion here...

I mean... we all knew the score. been this way for 10 years. you get an upgrade every 2 years. What did you think would happen?

You got your discount, now you want to upgrade a year later... they arent stopping you, but they wont subsidize your purchase again.
Actually, they changed their upgrade policy. Early upgrades use to be available after 12 months. That's how I got my Titan after I had my Focus: (Nov2010) --> Titan (Oct 2011)

Plus, we all thought/hoped we were going to get updated to WP8 when it was released, not WP7.8.

**the customer service agent told me they'd make exceptions for people that called and complained IF the person has been with At&t for more than 4 years without missing payments.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If it doesn't work for you, you can always shop for a new plan and new phones on a new carrier, then call up retentions at AT&T and tell them you intend to go to T-Mobile or Verizon for economic reasons (even with the ETF) unless they give you a reason to stay. Should help with the pain of the upgrade.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

So...you're mad for it working like every cell phone upgrade?

Last edited:

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I understand what gekkoace is talking about. I used to be able to upgrade at the end of 12 months if I paid an early upgrade fee. It started at $60 and dropped $5 a month for each month you waited.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
dNvUi.gif

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
in oct 2011 you were expecting wp8?

I was expecting it in November when I got the Titan on their $0.01 sale. I figured there was no way they could not update a phone less than a year old. Why I am rethinking WP8 devices at all. Or need to switch over to the early adoption cycle. I always wait till it matures. Mango was a huge leap over WP7 launch. I expect the same from 8.5. But if that only keeps me current for less than a year, I am having a hard time finding reasons to stick with it even though I do really love the OS more than any other. Hopefully by 8.5 release we know about future major OS updates. If they can assure us that WP9 will hit all WP8 devices I may stick with it. But, seeing a 1080p quad android HTC phone really has me second guessing. Don't worry, I know ALL the drawbacks of android and those kind of specs.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I understand what gekkoace is talking about. I used to be able to upgrade at the end of 12 months if I paid an early upgrade fee. It started at $60 and dropped $5 a month for each month you waited.

And let's not forget that AT&T have offered early upgrades in the past for iphone.

While I'm not in a hurry to get WP8 I do believe that offering an early upgrade (for a modest fee) for customers at lease 12 months in their current contracts would be a good PR move for all the carriers as well as Microsoft. It might be enough for those 7.5 owners that are still pissed about 7.8 being as good as it get.

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
Cant say i would blame ATT..if anything Microsoft for a short lived win7 phone ...but even then.. its the nature of technology. cant always wait, and will always want the newest

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can get an upgrade before your two years is up. I think it's at the 15 month mark. I always get offered an early upgrade. I think this is for everyone.

I've also called into their customer service number and ***** about buying a phone and having a newer phone come out within 6 months. Haggle with them, say you may just cancel your service, and who knows. They let me upgrade super early once. Seeing that you have four lines, I'm sure they'll want to keep you as a customer.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

sorry, but shame on your for not doing your due diligence.

I too can not update until June of 2013 because i got a samsung focus s in november for a penny, but there was already news of wp8 being ready at the end of 2012 so i knew what i was getting into.

I hate ATT, but nobody can blame them if you entered into two year contracts at your own discretion, they didnt force you, they want to sell phones and they did.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I was expecting it in November when I got the Titan on their $0.01 sale. I figured there was no way they could not update a phone less than a year old. Why I am rethinking WP8 devices at all. Or need to switch over to the early adoption cycle. I always wait till it matures. Mango was a huge leap over WP7 launch. I expect the same from 8.5. But if that only keeps me current for less than a year, I am having a hard time finding reasons to stick with it even though I do really love the OS more than any other. Hopefully by 8.5 release we know about future major OS updates. If they can assure us that WP9 will hit all WP8 devices I may stick with it. But, seeing a 1080p quad android HTC phone really has me second guessing. Don't worry, I know ALL the drawbacks of android and those kind of specs.

All WP8 devices are guaranteed at least 18 months worth of updates.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
WP7 was built on the old Windows Mobile kernel though, and that's been around for what.. 12 years? While u won't get upgrades for 12 years with a WP8 device, I see no reason you would be abandoned after 6 months like the L900. That phone came out at a horribly unfortunate time as Nokia had to put a phone out and Microsoft was in a position to push out the whole W8 ecosystem later in the year.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is it me or am I the only one that thinks this is "NUTS" Good god man if people are not crying that they can't get the L920 they are crying because they bought something last year on a two year deal and now they can't upgrade. did you read the contract? jeez read before you sign.. the Mobile tech world is changing fast with new devices coming every three months or so... and major updates at lest every 20 months WP7 was the foundation for WP8 as is WP8 is the foundation for WP9 in 24 months or so...it's just how it works. enjoy what you have and when you go to bed tonight remember this half the world has gone to bed hungry!!

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I feel burned by buying a Lumia900 in May only to find out it will not upgrade to 8 so I can sympathize. I'm going to buy an 8s off contract and trade my 900 to HTC for 175.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They didn't have to do it.

I don't think you know what ur talking about.
WP7 was built on the old Windows Mobile kernel though, and that's been around for what.. 12 years? While u won't get upgrades for 12 years with a WP8 device, I see no reason you would be abandoned after 6 months like the L900. That phone came out at a horribly unfortunate time as Nokia had to put a phone out and Microsoft was in a position to push out the whole W8 ecosystem later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05