Smart Glass on iOS and Android in 2013. Your Thoughts?

NairobiWP

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I must admit that I feel slightly bitter about the announcement that the very cool Smart Glass feature will be coming to iOS and Android in 2013 and not remaining exclsuive to Windows Phone. However, I understand the bigger picture.

For SmartGlass to become ubiquitous, i.e. to have every new movie, album, TV show or sporting event have SmartGlass content, this feature will have to be used by more people than the Windows Phone marketshare currently has.

It's a small price to pay to ensure Windows Phone remains around for the next decade.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, where will you find the best integration is key.

Smart Glass may work, but on iOS and Android, will it lack features, much like how iOS Google Maps and Android Google Maps aren't the same deal? Same with Office for Windows and Office for Mac. Will it be good to have on iOS and Android, but a superb feature on WP?

I think these are the questions to ask, and if Office is anything to go by, MS will know what to do.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how smart glass works? I do not have an xbox. Can I use smart glass with an HTPC setup as well? How can I watch the same movie stored on my xbox or HTPC on my tablet when I leave the house? Or do you have to buy the movie on "xbox movies" or whatever it will be called to make this work? So basically streaming from the xbox cloud server. I really hope its possible to do so from my own media server.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how smart glass works? I do not have an xbox. Can I use smart glass with an HTPC setup as well? How can I watch the same movie stored on my xbox or HTPC on my tablet when I leave the house? Or do you have to buy the movie on "xbox movies" or whatever it will be called to make this work? So basically streaming from the xbox cloud server. I really hope its possible to do so from my own media server.

SmartGlass is Xbox only (at this time). I imagine that in the future Microsoft will leverage the technology so that you can communicate between any combination of SmartGlass capable devices (Phone and Xbox, Phone and Windows Server, Phone and Surface hooked up to a TV, Surface and Phone hooked up to a TV, etc)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

For now it just works OK, but it leaves me wanting......

I can use my iPad to connect to my XBox and I get a dashboard showing up on the tablet. From there I could launch a game, or Netflix, or Zune/XBox music.

However it would be sweet if what was on my TV actually showed up on the iPad after that. Now I just see a big black screen with for direction arrows and 4 xbox buttons that I can use to navigate around the screen... it's much easier to just use a XBox controller.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
For now it just works OK, but it leaves me wanting......

I can use my iPad to connect to my XBox and I get a dashboard showing up on the tablet. From there I could launch a game, or Netflix, or Zune/XBox music.

However it would be sweet if what was on my TV actually showed up on the iPad after that. Now I just see a big black screen with for direction arrows and 4 xbox buttons that I can use to navigate around the screen... it's much easier to just use a XBox controller.

thats not smartglass... thats xbox companion... the full features of smartglass will be released with windows 8 and windows phone 8

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Works pretty well so far. It's actually kinda fun using the Xbox IE 10 browser when you use a phone to control it.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is a software company. As an Xbox fan I learn to not care about exclusives.

Minor question, does Smartglass work with laptops?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
indeed it is!

much better than the xbox companion app, both in functionality and appearance... but it still needs to be improved a little. this is still a very immature app, has lots of room to grow. exciting to see everything we have been waiting for starting to unfold, for those of us that have been following the platform since nodo days...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99