accounts and email addresses

simontl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Can anybody un-confuse me. I am a WP7/W7/Outlook user from the stone age (currently Outlook 2013), and expecting to move to WP8/W8/Outlook 2013. I am ina major muddle clearing the decks to be ready...

I have two email routes - business, with a mailbox, and private from a forwarded account. I have added outlook.com accounts and addresses, but I am wondering if I need them.

Can I register my phone to my work account, buying apps etc from that, and using Outlook.com to go direct to the mailbox, and Outlook 2013 and WP8 also going direct to the mailbox? I guess I need the 'delete from server' setting on all.

On the other hand, the forwarder presumably *does* need to go to an Outlook.com address - and I collect from there to the phone and desktop Outlook?

Outlook.com has all sorts of tricks - collecting from multiple addresses, linking accounts etc, but this makes it easy to get confused.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Can anybody un-confuse me. I am a WP7/W7/Outlook user from the stone age (currently Outlook 2013), and expecting to move to WP8/W8/Outlook 2013. I am ina major muddle clearing the decks to be ready...

I have two email routes - business, with a mailbox, and private from a forwarded account. I have added outlook.com accounts and addresses, but I am wondering if I need them.

Can I register my phone to my work account, buying apps etc from that, and using Outlook.com to go direct to the mailbox, and Outlook 2013 and WP8 also going direct to the mailbox? I guess I need the 'delete from server' setting on all.

On the other hand, the forwarder presumably *does* need to go to an Outlook.com address - and I collect from there to the phone and desktop Outlook?

Outlook.com has all sorts of tricks - collecting from multiple addresses, linking accounts etc, but this makes it easy to get confused.

Thanks.

heres all you need to know... ;)
Switching your Hotmail or Live to Outlook.com? Here

simontl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I can see that that article is a good help for the forqwarding requirement and for those who are happy to reply giving an Outlook.com address, and it is an article I have read.

On the mailbox side, I have a Microsoft account with the name format myname@mycompany.co.uk and if I go to Outlook.com with that info I can see all my emails - I must have set up the connection. BUT I also have forwarding from myname@mycompany.co.uk to myname@outlook.com - and that is where I currently collect from into desktop Outlook!

I think I am getting close to answering my own question. And that is I can ignore the Outlook.com account, remove the forwarding to it, and change Outlook to point to the Outlook.com server to retrieve the myname@mycompany.co.uk emails. Is that right? (I realise this is going to mean I collect a lot of old emails and have to clean the inbox up.)

Thanks. Once we have these options settled, I'll put a diagram up in case it helps others.

simontl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Update

So my conclusions if you have an existing mailbox (hopefully correct) are now as follows.

If you have a POP3 mailbox:
  1. You don't need a xxx@outlook.com email address
  2. Open Outlook.com and sign in with the email address and password you gave to Microsoft to register your copy of Microsoft Office and your phone
  3. Set the account to collect emails from your POP3 mailbox
  4. Add the email account to your phone and desktop Outlook (2010 or 2013), using the Hotmail type
  5. Make sure all your contacts, calendar etc are in that same account.
  6. Enjoy.

If, however, you have an IMAP mailbox, it is not so easy. Unless and until Outlook.com supports IMAP, I think what you have to do is to keep your emails and your contacts/calendar/etc separate. So you collect your emails direct from the IMAP mailbox - on your phone and desktop Outlook (and use whatever web email service the ISP offers for when you are away from your phone and main PC). And use an Outlook.com or Hotmail email address to be the account to sync your contacts/caldendar/etc. Hopefully someone can confirm this or tell me a better way.

simontl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Latest

See the diagram; I hope it is useful.

One tip is make sure you settle on a good account name for your Microsoft account for Skydrive etc and your phone. With the increasing integration of phone/PC/cloud it is hard to change. Although you can share folders from one Skydrive account to another, the PC-based Skydrive folder does not include folders and documents shared from Skydrive. So to edit a shared document, you have to go onto Outlook.com to edit it, or desktop OneNote in the case of notebooks.
emails_etc.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3