iPhone 5 or Windows Phone 8

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Well... My personal experience:

Android ****** for several years after it's inception. I came from Windows Mobile, so the Iphone wasn't ever a choice for me (it lacked way too many basic functions to be usefull).

2011 I got tired of Android since I used like one fourth of my time tweaking something, fixing something or removing something from my phone. Sometimes I had to rely on guides which started to feel like I was going deeper and deeper into a Linux-World (I tinker with Linux alot on my computers, but wasn't feeling up for the task on my cellphone which is very important to me in my business).

I got an Iphone 4S after recommendations from friends. It was very fast and fluid and the OS finally had gotten the basic functionality I had to have which I had in my Windows Mobile-phones back in the day. I was perfectly happy for two days until I noticed that it seriously lacked any kind of "personality". It's just a desktop with shortcuts to programs. I hate desktops with shortcuts on them. After like 3 weeks or so I returned it to the seller and Went on the hunt.

While I was hunting, I borrowed my friends semi-broken HTC HD7 (Camera wasn't working anymore). My plan was to use it until the next Android-flagship device came out.

I ended up buying a cyan Nokia Lumia 800 directly at launch in Sweden and I'm now hosting a ****** blog for Windows Phone in Sweden.

Windows Phone, once you get your personal services (which are integrated) up and running, has a personality: Yours. It's like it is seriously following you around, Learning how you work and show you things that matter to you at the moment. I get personal news, personal social updates and personal happenings every day and my phone just keeps me happier and happier every day. I feel like it truely is my one Connection to the "cyber-version" of me.

Windows Phone has the personality I have been looking for in a smartphone since I bought my first Symbian-phone back around 7 years ago.

I can't recommend an Iphone even to my worst enemy.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Android ****** for several years after it's inception. I came from Windows Mobile, so the Iphone wasn't ever a choice for me (it lacked way too many basic functions to be usefull).

2011 I got tired of Android since I used like one fourth of my time tweaking something, fixing something or removing something from my phone. Sometimes I had to rely on guides which started to feel like I was going deeper and deeper into a Linux-World (I tinker with Linux alot on my computers, but wasn't feeling up for the task on my cellphone which is very important to me in my business).

I got an Iphone 4S after recommendations from friends. It was very fast and fluid and the OS finally had gotten the basic functionality I had to have which I had in my Windows Mobile-phones back in the day. I was perfectly happy for two days until I noticed that it seriously lacked any kind of "personality". It's just a desktop with shortcuts to programs. I hate desktops with shortcuts on them. After like 3 weeks or so I returned it to the seller and Went on the hunt.

While I was hunting, I borrowed my friends semi-broken HTC HD7 (Camera wasn't working anymore). My plan was to use it until the next Android-flagship device came out.

I ended up buying a cyan Nokia Lumia 800 directly at launch in Sweden and I'm now hosting a ****** blog for Windows Phone in Sweden.

Windows Phone, once you get your personal services (which are integrated) up and running, has a personality: Yours. It's like it is seriously following you around, Learning how you work and show you things that matter to you at the moment. I get personal news, personal social updates and personal happenings every day and my phone just keeps me happier and happier every day. I feel like it truely is my one Connection to the "cyber-version" of me.

Windows Phone has the personality I have been looking for in a smartphone since I bought my first Symbian-phone back around 7 years ago.

Would you mind elaborating on 'personal' services? Also a few other features of why you prefer WP? How about phone quality?

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't have expressed it any better like what you did. Man! Its like you can read my mind about how I feel about my Lumia 900. Thanks Very Much !!!

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Would you mind elaborating on 'personal' services? Also a few other features of why you prefer WP? How about phone quality?

Personal services are the facebook and twitter integration.

Phone quality is great at least on my Focus Flash. The Lumia devices are second to none in build quality.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
The reason I ask is the quality of my HTC Trophy was absolutely horrible.

You are spot on with respect to the Trophy build quality, its really subpar. That's why I swapped it for a Lumia 900 about 2 months ago. No regrets at all. And since WP8 gonna officially launch today, great time to get a 920. I will enjoy my appetizing 900 for a few months before I swap it again for the main course 920 :)

ronr9286t

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 or Windows

I'll throw in my 2.5 cents. I was a long-time Windows Mobile user, with a long string of HTC phones on AT&T, the last one being the Tilt. I made a few forays into Symbian with the Nokia 9300 and 9500, as well as the E51. The networks were so slow back then, I couldn't really appreciate the features and capabilities of those phones, although I really liked the MS Office file compatibility of the Windows Mobile devices.

I was using the E51 when the iPhone came out, and given that I'm known as a gadget guy among my friends, they were all surprised when I didn't scarf up the iPhone. I travel a lot in my work and turn-by-turn navigation was a requirement. When the 3GS came out and the new iOS allowed turn-by-turn, I got one. I was thrilled with the phone, as it JUST WORKS!

After 2 years I was eligible for my upgrade, and I looked at the 4, and saw no real advantage over my 3GS. I figured I'd give Android a try. I picked up and HTC Inspire, and while it was OK, I noticed that I'd usually switch back to my 3GS. When the Samsung Galaxy Note came out in Europe, I picked one up (unlocked, no contract), as I really like the idea of the WACOM screen as I've used a long series of Windows convertible tablets, and use One- Note note-taking extensively in my projects. The Note turned out to be a bust, as the note-taking did not work well (too small), and as a phone, it was still an Android. I really don't like that OS. It is klugy, , many basic tasks are not straightforward, and as another poster described, there is always something that requires fiddling. I always stick to the stock ROM, and I can understand that someone who enjoys installing custom ROMS would find that OS enjoyable. I prefer something that works out of the box, and iOS just works.

I should interject that I don't do social networking except for LinkedIn, and I cannot see any need to use that on a mobile device. I do use my phone extensively for e-mail (on several listserves and we run our company on Outlook) and less than 10-15 text messages a month. The apps that are must-have for me are Sugarsync, Dropbox, the official Starbucks app, Kindle, and a couple of Solitaire games (Klondike and Freecell).

After that lengthy preamble, I found myself wondering what to do when my next upgrade with AT&T was available. I read some positive things about Windows Phone and the the Windows Phone 8 OS to be rolled out soon. I decided to give it a try, and about a month ago, I bought a locked-to-AT&T no-contract Nokia 900 to try out the OS. I've had great success with Nokia hardware (as well as with HTC), so the decision was easy.

I LOVE IT. Like iOS, it just works. I've never had a freeze or a dropped call, and familiarizing myself with the OS took very little time. It doesn't yet have all of the basic apps I need (I use web access to Sugarsync and a third-party app to find the nearest Starbucks on the road), but I'm hoping these will come. As others have said, virtually 99% of the available apps are of no use to me, including several I downloaded to my iPhone and Android devices. I've not yet explored the usefulness of the Office integration, but the Outlook integration seems to be very tight.

A Microsoft Store is opening this coming Saturday in our area, and I'm looking forward to trying out WP 8, and seeing the 920 as soon as it is available.

Ron

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'll throw in my 2.5 cents. I was a long-time Windows Mobile user, with a long string of HTC phones on AT&T, the last one being the Tilt. I made a few forays into Symbian with the Nokia 9300 and 9500, as well as the E51. The networks were so slow back then, I couldn't really appreciate the features and capabilities of those phones, although I really liked the MS Office file compatibility of the Windows Mobile devices.

I was using the E51 when the iPhone came out, and given that I'm known as a gadget guy among my friends, they were all surprised when I didn't scarf up the iPhone. I travel a lot in my work and turn-by-turn navigation was a requirement. When the 3GS came out and the new iOS allowed turn-by-turn, I got one. I was thrilled with the phone, as it JUST WORKS!

After 2 years I was eligible for my upgrade, and I looked at the 4, and saw no real advantage over my 3GS. I figured I'd give Android a try. I picked up and HTC Inspire, and while it was OK, I noticed that I'd usually switch back to my 3GS. When the Samsung Galaxy Note came out in Europe, I picked one up (unlocked, no contract), as I really like the idea of the WACOM screen as I've used a long series of Windows convertible tablets, and use One- Note note-taking extensively in my projects. The Note turned out to be a bust, as the note-taking did not work well (too small), and as a phone, it was still an Android. I really don't like that OS. It is klugy, , many basic tasks are not straightforward, and as another poster described, there is always something that requires fiddling. I always stick to the stock ROM, and I can understand that someone who enjoys installing custom ROMS would find that OS enjoyable. I prefer something that works out of the box, and iOS just works.

I should interject that I don't do social networking except for LinkedIn, and I cannot see any need to use that on a mobile device. I do use my phone extensively for e-mail (on several listserves and we run our company on Outlook) and less than 10-15 text messages a month. The apps that are must-have for me are Sugarsync, Dropbox, the official Starbucks app, Kindle, and a couple of Solitaire games (Klondike and Freecell).

After that lengthy preamble, I found myself wondering what to do when my next upgrade with AT&T was available. I read some positive things about Windows Phone and the the Windows Phone 8 OS to be rolled out soon. I decided to give it a try, and about a month ago, I bought a locked-to-AT&T no-contract Nokia 900 to try out the OS. I've had great success with Nokia hardware (as well as with HTC), so the decision was easy.

I LOVE IT. Like iOS, it just works. I've never had a freeze or a dropped call, and familiarizing myself with the OS took very little time. It doesn't yet have all of the basic apps I need (I use web access to Sugarsync and a third-party app to find the nearest Starbucks on the road), but I'm hoping these will come. As others have said, virtually 99% of the available apps are of no use to me, including several I downloaded to my iPhone and Android devices. I've not yet explored the usefulness of the Office integration, but the Outlook integration seems to be very tight.

A Microsoft Store is opening this coming Saturday in our area, and I'm looking forward to trying out WP 8, and seeing the 920 as soon as it is available.

Ron

Thank you for taking the time to give a serious answer.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My windows phone story isn't as cool as yours =/.

I got a Windows Phone because my current carrier didn't had the iPhone and I felt in love with the sleek look of the Optimus 7. I got it mostly because I was promised fast updates like on the iPhone.

My carrier delivers updates really fast so it's never being a problem for me, I loved my phone for months until I got the Mango update, after that the battery turned into waste.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I am biased against Apple during the mp3 player wars so I will definitely say WP8. Still, I recognize the strengths of the iPhone 5. Its app selection in mobile is currently unrivaled, it is a proven platform in many areas (save for Maps) and with a Mac and iPad, is an attractive package for personal use.

But for Windows users, WP8 just seems more logical. You get the whole Windows ecosystem around, Nokia is pushing phone innovation more unlike the other OEMs who are just going to a spec war, it supports the Xbox with Smartglass, now a very viable media hub for the living room and you get a console for free along with that.

Nokia L920 gives you a camera with OIS, a screen that you can use with your gloves, surely handy in winter, average-to-good Nokia apps that will help you in some way, and WP8 in a somewhat heavy package. Plus all the goodies from MS in its ecosystem, and I just think, a WP8 will just work for people.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help everybody gave, I just got off the phone with Apple canceling my iPhone 5 order, I will be getting a Windows Phone. Between the Lumia 822, HTC 8X and Samsung Ativ Odyssey, the ones of Verizon what's the better choice?

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Ativ has screen size, microSD andante removable battery (I think so not sure). Htc 8x has been getting great reviews, don't know how the 822 has been reviewed.

Salim Khan1

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Ummmm..........all great about Lumia 920 ( using Wp 7 ) but please don't forget the Facetime in the IOS. THAT takes the cake if u want to use this function.:sweaty:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ummmm..........all great about Lumia 920 ( using Wp 7 ) but please don't forget the Facetime in the IOS. THAT takes the cake if u want to use this function.:sweaty:

Lumia 920 DOESN'T use WP7.
Facetime is iOS to iOS. Skype is multi platform. So cake only shared if you are in a locked room not if you are walking on the street.

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help everybody gave, I just got off the phone with Apple canceling my iPhone 5 order, I will be getting a Windows Phone. Between the Lumia 822, HTC 8X and Samsung Ativ Odyssey, the ones of Verizon what's the better choice?

As a Lumia 822 user I'm very impressed with my device. The screen is gorgeous although not HD. That's my only qualm. The battery life is excellent, the camera is more than sufficient, the phone is super fast and has the same processor as the other two phones mentioned. Nokia apps are amazing- Lens and Nokia drive are game changers. I'm invested in Nokia phones now based on their support for the platform. I have the wireless backplate to enable wireless charging. My wife has the 8X and I don't regret my purchase at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99