iPhone 5 or Windows Phone 8

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I recently ordered an iPhone 5 and it's on backorder. Windows Phone 8 is really starting to impress me how it integrates with all other Microsoft products. I am not heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem so that isn't a big deal to me. I previously had a HTC Trophy, loved the OS but the phone quality was pretty crappy.

So what I am asking is if it were you would you go with an iPhone 5 or one of the ruomred Windows 8 Phones that are coming to Verizon and why? Also, there aren't any 'big name' apps yet on the Windows Store (i.e. Twitter and the Facebook app needs a lot of help) do you think the number of 'big name' apps will be quickly available for Windows Phone 8?

Thanks for all the help.

peternoble2012

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I recently ordered an iPhone 5 and it's on backorder. Windows Phone 8 is really starting to impress me how it integrates with all other Microsoft products. I am not heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem so that isn't a big deal to me. I previously had a HTC Trophy, loved the OS but the phone quality was pretty crappy.

So what I am asking is if it were you would you go with an iPhone 5 or one of the ruomred Windows 8 Phones that are coming to Verizon and why? Also, there aren't any 'big name' apps yet on the Windows Store (i.e. Twitter and the Facebook app needs a lot of help) do you think the number of 'big name' apps will be quickly available for Windows Phone 8?

Thanks for all the help.
I am a longtime Apple customer but the iOS that powers the iPad and iPhone has stagnated and is getting more complex. I prefer Androids Jellybean compared to iOS6. However, I LOVE Windows 7.5 and know W8X will be even better as it supports dual core and higher screen values but frankly Mango is even better.

Also the hardware for iPhone5 is dreadful, you need a case before you take it out of the case. The Nokia Lumia 920 has been made as tough or tougher than Lumia 900.

I love the way W8X is easy to use, two layers deep for all actions. Apps will come but as long as I can text, speak, receive calls, decent maps with GPS, NFC transactions and so on then I don't need endless Apps to make W8X work for me.

peternoble2012

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
W8 is easier and better and Apps will come soon enough

Thanks for all the help.
I am a longtime Apple customer but the iOS that powers the iPad and iPhone has stagnated and is getting more complex. I prefer Androids Jellybean compared to iOS6. However, I LOVE Windows 7.5 and know W8X will be even better as it supports dual core and higher screen values but frankly Mango is even better.

Also the hardware for iPhone5 is dreadful, you need a case before you take it out of the case. The Nokia Lumia 920 has been made as tough or tougher than Lumia 900.

I love the way W8X is easy to use, two layers deep for all actions. Apps will come but as long as I can text, speak, receive calls, decent maps with GPS, NFC transactions and so on then I don't need endless Apps to make W8X work for me.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Depends entirely on what you want your phone to do. If you live for big name apps as soon as they arrive, get the iPhone. If you want a solid phone experience, both will due. If you like the functionality that is baked in to Windows Phone, and the ease of integration with other MS products (which will only get better once W8 hits the mainstream), and you aren't heavily invested in Apple, I would say take a chance and go with the WP.

For me it's partly that I don't care about not having every app as soon as it's made, because iPhone is way ahead of WP with that, and probably will remain that way for at LEAST another year. I also like the idea of having something that's a little different, a little more interesting then the run of the mill iPhone/Android options. And the icing on the cake are the Nokia exclusive apps like Nokia Drive and City Lens that I know will be fundamental to my phone experience. The OIS camera doesn't hurt either, as I love photography.

That's what I'm doing and I can't wait.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Depends entirely on what you want your phone to do. If you live for big name apps as soon as they arrive, get the iPhone. If you want a solid phone experience, both will due. If you like the functionality that is baked in to Windows Phone, and the ease of integration with other MS products (which will only get better once W8 hits the mainstream), and you aren't heavily invested in Apple, I would say take a chance and go with the WP.

For me it's partly that I don't care about not having every app as soon as it's made, because iPhone is way ahead of WP with that, and probably will remain that way for at LEAST another year. I also like the idea of having something that's a little different, a little more interesting then the run of the mill iPhone/Android options. And the icing on the cake are the Nokia exclusive apps like Nokia Drive and City Lens that I know will be fundamental to my phone experience. The OIS camera doesn't hurt either, as I love photography.

That's what I'm doing and I can't wait.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is the difference in app choices between the iPhone's app market and WP7's app market really that extreme?

Doing some research, I thought that about 90% of apps that are commonly used on the iPhone are also available on the WP7 (although might be named slightly different).

Also, WP7 has over 100,000 apps available on the marketplace. I remember back when Apple/iPhone users were boasting about that number, but when WP7 has it, it's considered 'insignificant'. 100,000 apps, how many do we really use on our phone day-to-day? Maybe 10 to 20?.

beefydragon

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Windows 8 for over a year now since the first Developer release and I am also a Lumia 900 owner. The integration between the two along with SkyDrive is flawless. I truly recommend it. The 100,000+ apps in the Store won't make you feel like you have nothing to gain. But based on what I am seeing with the Windows 8 integration with native apps support on phones and its backward compatibility, I think it's wise to start invest in a Windows Phone 8 so you can get more benefits out of it in the long run, especially if you are a PC user.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I am switching from an iPhone 4s to a Lumia 920. For me I just like Windows interface better and being a Microsoft Exchange engineer the mail integration cannot be touched by Apple. I would have never gone to an iPhone 4s if Windows Phone 7 had device encryption required by my company.

Anyway, for me there is a big app difference and Apple is way ahead. Not only do they have more apps from big companies that I use everyday but most are better made with more features than the Windows version. I am just hoping that with Windows 8 here more companies will want to make Windows apps. Until then I will be keeping my iPad for all the apps I need.

STM 69

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Ordered iPhone 5 after I bought my wife one- after playing around with hers, I canceled my order & was able to get in on the 920 pre-order @ BB.

Apps will come. I'd argue at least 70% of iPhone apps are either kids games or worthless junk anyway.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Apps will come. I'd argue at least 70% of iPhone apps are either kids games or worthless junk anyway.

I have read a few stats like this also and can admit it applies to me as well. I have 10 or so apps I use regularly, the rest just sit.....

And along that vein....I haven't seen anyone mention this yet here; I am under the impression that the 100k+ apps we already have for WP7.5 will work for WP8 when it comes out, so based on that, if it satisfies you, go for it, i don't think you'll be disappointed, i keep using commas in this sentence.

Thanks

-Doc

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
IMO, the WP8 is still new. app store is still immature.

There is sure to be those 1 or 2 apps that you will just miss. For me, my university does correspondance through a service called first class, it has an iphone and android app, and I really dont know if the web interface would work on a phone otherwise... I will miss that app very much.

Then there all the games Ive gotten sorta into. not enough to deter me, but Ill be happier when they return. Luckily, there is amazon,fandango, flikster, yelp, banking apps (shockingly including ETrade mobile, who clung to black berry far longer than they ever should have).

but I would definitely suggest anyone on the fence, scroll through your phone, search for the apps you really use, and see if they are on WP. Just so there arent any suprises.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Upgrade

Ordered iPhone 5 after I bought my wife one- after playing around with hers, I canceled my order & was able to get in on the 920 pre-order @ BB.

I take it you have AT&T, I ordered mine through Apple with Verizon and Applecare. I am worried if I cancel that I will not get my refund for Applecare and that my upgrade on my account will be used up and I will not be able to order and WP8.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
App store

IMO, the WP8 is still new. app store is still immature.

I have also seen that between the Android app store and Apple app store Windows Store has more apps available on launch day than either of those.

I also feel the world runs on Windows, with this said I feel the future looks bright for Windows 8 devices, any thoughts?

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for all the help.

I returned my iPhone 5 for the Lumia 900 ad have no regrets. The 920 will be a given

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i am heavily invested in iphone. i have a macbook, an iphone, and an ipad.

the new iphone 5 design has been very unimpressive to me.

1. easily scratched aluminum, that by some reports also bends easily.
2. maps that are broken, i have an iphone 4 and the new maps are half good and half bad. i love the vector rendering. loads faster, but hate the point of information data.. i couldn't even find the post office. :(
3. i dislike the tall aspect ratio.... it's too tall, and not wide enough. i just don't like it. they should have made it bigger with the same aspect ratio.

These were enough reasons to make me want to skip the iphone 5. I can't buy a different model of iphone cause theres only one model. If you don't like one windows phone there are going to be more models... that's one issue with the iphone. i got all invested in the iPhone and apps and macs that now that i don't like their latest design i see what a mistake it was.

i really like the lumia 920 hardware, and that's what i'm getting, as i'm already on at&t.
i think alot of the big name apps have built in support on windows phone for some things.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have also seen that between the Android app store and Apple app store Windows Store has more apps available on launch day than either of those.

I also feel the world runs on Windows, with this said I feel the future looks bright for Windows 8 devices, any thoughts?

The future is very bright, and the state of the apps at launch is better than in the past.

but in the present, you WILL find more apps elsewhere. And when that next app makes it big like words with friends, draw something, angry birds, foursquare, whatever it might be, that you may be interested in, you can probably bank on everyone else getting it before the WP, if at all.

I think the other features, the integration of skype and skydrive, the efficient OS, the amazing hardware features of the lumia, and yes, just the novelty of something different; offset the disadvanges of being 3rd fiddle to app developers.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The future is very bright, and the state of the apps at launch is better than in the past.

but in the present, you WILL find more apps elsewhere. And when that next app makes it big like words with friends, draw something, angry birds, foursquare, whatever it might be, that you may be interested in, you can probably bank on everyone else getting it before the WP, if at all.

I think the other features, the integration of skype and skydrive, the efficient OS, the amazing hardware features of the lumia, and yes, just the novelty of something different; offset the disadvanges of being 3rd fiddle to app developers.

I did have an HTC Trophy on Verizon, I loved the OS, much like iOS it just simply worked although the phone quality was crap which is why I ditched it.

I am an IT student and will graduate in May and start job hunting, most corporate enviroments use Windows computers, do you feel that they will also adopt WP8 or iOS for mobile stuff. I feel something like this is important in my decision because in order to be the best you have to know it all.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For games and the hot apps it's iphone all the way. One negative the iphone 5 on Verizon has for me is it can't do voice and data at the same time except on wifi. This is something most Verizon customers probably don't use a lot, but when the rest of Verizon's 4G phones are capable of this on 4G and some on 3G this is a negative for me. For the most part even though I think the iphone is a quality device I prefer WP. If you have any doubts about your choice of the iphone go to your local store and play with it in person.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I did have an HTC Trophy on Verizon, I loved the OS, much like iOS it just simply worked although the phone quality was crap which is why I ditched it.

I am an IT student and will graduate in May and start job hunting, most corporate enviroments use Windows computers, do you feel that they will also adopt WP8 or iOS for mobile stuff. I feel something like this is important in my decision because in order to be the best you have to know it all.

I think you will find that WP8 will be deployed more and more in corporate environments. I'm now working in IT at a newspaper and our managers and department heads all have Androids except for me and I'm rocking my WP7 but will upgrade to WP8 and I think I will be able to get them to switch if their carrier will get some WP8 Devices.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that no one wants a BlackBerry anymore, and everyone wants BYOD. As someone who works in IT as well, I know how much of a PITA that is. SCCM 2012 does remedy that some, but SCCM 2012 plus WP8 is supposed to be a great combination. All we need is to find a way to make WP8 devices appealing to those who want to bring in their iPhones and Android devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12