There might be more to WP8

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Only after experiencing what the difference between all the official RC v/s real Windows 8 is, I think I have a feeling now that the leaked SDKs or even official ones are locked down with those features that MSFT never wanted us to know. They can do it, they did it with Windows 8. Example - The share charm. I don't know how many of you guys have noticed it, but the Windows 8 Pro version share charm is so charming that it makes me want to have it on my windows phone! It wasn't this flawless even with the RC! Now it is!

In nutshell, my weekend although will be with app loading my old Vostro running Win 8 Pro, I can't stop thinking there is something we don't know about WP8 and yes it is perfect time to switch.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Only after experiencing what the difference between all the official RC v/s real Windows 8 is

What difference?

My laptop is running WP8 pro and my desktop is still running the RC - I don't see any real difference.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have no doubt there'll be some new WP8 features revealed on Monday. Some people will say "meh", others will say "Yay!"

I'm looking forward to Monday!

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking we won't see any new features but we will see apps that take advantage of things that just aren't baked into the OS. For example, Most of the W8 apps got updated in the last 2 days adding functionality like SmartGlass.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Without trying to be too much of a downer, I doubt we will see anything that's "amazing" or new that would make people forgive them holding off the SDK and making people wait so long. We've basically seen everything through the leaked SDK, the summit in the summer, other leaked videos, etc. From what I can tell, the features are nice and would've been amazing if they announced them and then released them shortly after. But because of making everyone wait so long, the new-feature-hype died off (IMO) and there is nothing that will be amazing that other platforms don't have.

It's because of this that I've chosen to wait for updates to Windows Phone 8 that bring things that I'm waiting for. For example, VPN, different volume levels, a forward button in the browser, fixing voice dictation so that it doesn't repeat cuss words to me instead of the text I spoke, etc....like the basic stuff. It seems like they've only focused on new huge features (which are welcomed and much needed) without taking care of bugs and things needed fixed or added in first. I was really hyped for Windows Phone 8 as a Lumia 900 owner (I'm not in a contract, so I'm free to pick up a new device without ETF), but after it being so long since it was revealed I've already begun waiting for the next version without even getting to physically try Apollo...

For what it's worth, a feature I was hoping for was natural language support in TellMe. I do think that having static commands will help developers, in that they will only have to code for one scenario for allowing TellMe to carry out commands (i.e. "Open eBay...search for Lumia 920"), but it would be nice to have natural language support to make it more appealing, easier to use, and comparable to Siri for promotion purposes...

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Without trying to be too much of a downer, I doubt we will see anything that's "amazing" or new that would make people forgive them holding off the SDK and making people wait so long. We've basically seen everything through the leaked SDK, the summit in the summer, other leaked videos, etc. From what I can tell, the features are nice and would've been amazing if they announced them and then released them shortly after. But because of making everyone wait so long, the new-feature-hype died off (IMO) and there is nothing that will be amazing that other platforms don't have.

It's because of this that I've chosen to wait for updates to Windows Phone 8 that bring things that I'm waiting for. For example, VPN, different volume levels, a forward button in the browser, fixing voice dictation so that it doesn't repeat cuss words to me instead of the text I spoke, etc....like the basic stuff. It seems like they've only focused on new huge features (which are welcomed and much needed) without taking care of bugs and things needed fixed or added in first. I was really hyped for Windows Phone 8 as a Lumia 900 owner (I'm not in a contract, so I'm free to pick up a new device without ETF), but after it being so long since it was revealed I've already begun waiting for the next version without even getting to physically try Apollo...

For what it's worth, a feature I was hoping for was natural language support in TellMe. I do think that having static commands will help developers, in that they will only have to code for one scenario for allowing TellMe to carry out commands (i.e. "Open eBay...search for Lumia 920"), but it would be nice to have natural language support to make it more appealing, easier to use, and comparable to Siri for promotion purposes...
You are writing as if you just got done watching the WP8 conference. Why not give MS a chance to have their conference on the 29th and then decide whether or not you're disappointed?

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying not to get my hopes TOO high for the 29th but... too late! :p I would actually be happy if they just went over a bunch of new features, whether they've been leaked or brand new surprises, instead of going into all the hardware features of the WP8 devices (been there done that, you know?). They can recap and such (and definitely talk about device availability + pricing if the carriers have given them that info), but this event needs to be about the operating system and this huge upgrade to the OS everyone has been waiting for!

I'm thinking they'll somehow bring everything together and show us the big picture and three screen approach, and there will be a ton of focus on that, but I'm also really hoping they kind of go down a list of things on the Windows Phone Uservoice/feature suggestion site and explain how we asked for it and they implemented it. I'm hoping for a feature surprise or two.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying not to get my hopes TOO high for the 29th but... too late! :p I would actually be happy if they just went over a bunch of new features, whether they've been leaked or brand new surprises, instead of going into all the hardware features of the WP8 devices (been there done that, you know?). They can recap and such (and definitely talk about device availability + pricing if the carriers have given them that info), but this event needs to be about the operating system and this huge upgrade to the OS everyone has been waiting for!

I'm thinking they'll somehow bring everything together and show us the big picture and three screen approach, and there will be a ton of focus on that...I'm hoping for a feature surprise or two.
I doubt they'll go over hardware features that are OEM-specific. After all, that's why the OEMs (Nokia and HTC) had their own press conferences. Maybe Microsoft will do a proper presentation of the ATIV S since Samsung won't do one (kidding, kidding).

The event WILL be about the OS, I tell you that much.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The ME tile notifications, People hub sync, Xbox Music, Xbox smartglass etc - aren't they better on W8 Pro for you?

I don't own a chavbox so that one does nothing for me - as for the rest, if there are changes they aren't leaping out at me..

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha! Chavbox is something you should rethink on some time later. Not only because it completes your ecosystem but also because the gaming experience keeps getting better with new updates! Plus, it is such an amazing entertainment unit now with "3 screens" idea.

The way apps are sharing stuff across all platforms is much better than RC, I've noticed.
Even while WPC ran an article on how 3rd party twitter clients had issues due to APIs, the native ME tile and People hub has been flawless in terms of status updates, sharing as well as notifications - they were very irregular for me on RC.
These are of course only small things that really makes the whole experience better. I am going to be looking for such small niggles in WP8 that we don't talk about much, but if fixed will make life so much easier!

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha! Chavbox is something you should rethink on some time later. Not only because it completes your ecosystem but also because the gaming experience keeps getting better with new updates!

I understand how gaming is a big thing for people but it is something I have no real interest in and no real time to get into. As for the ecosystem, the PS3 has worked out well for us - it has netflix, it is a bluray player and a PVR - so it covers all of my needs.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I understand how gaming is a big thing for people but it is something I have no real interest in and no real time to get into. As for the ecosystem, the PS3 has worked out well for us - it has netflix, it is a bluray player and a PVR - so it covers all of my needs.

I take it you don't use Xbox Music (previously zune) pass on your phone then?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't own a chavbox so that one does nothing for me - as for the rest, if there are changes they aren't leaping out at me..

It isn't just chavs that own Xbox 360s so please don't go making that stereotype. I'll admit, I'm not perfect, I've done it in the past, but I own a 360 and am not a chav. I'm currently in a weird place between metal-head (I love my Power Metal) and Gothic. Definitely not chav! But I love playing on my Xbox 360. In all fairness, WP7 was my entry to an Xbox 360. I actually used owning a Windows Phone as an excuse to get a 360 for Christmas! **** yeah!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a chav, metalic rock head, gothic or so. I'm a surgeon for that matter! AND I use XBox since 4 years! :p

So yeah, I would say cool people use it ;)

Plus Xbox Music pass is so much better with Xbox in house.

Also, those you haven't yet managed to figure out - go get Windows 8 upgrade, Xbox Music pees on Spotify with their free streaming. Much less adverts and awesome audio quality FOR FREE!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786