iPad sales down! - It's started..

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You would buy a Nokia Pureview 808 with WP on it? - that makes us two then! I have Pureview 808 for a review and I love it! It's such a smart piece of camera tech really. But the OS drives me nuts.

Not only buying it, but I was expecting it. The lack of a true 41mm Pureview Windows Phone 8 Nokia device, changed me as a person, turned me into something darker, into the troll this board so much needed.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Problem with Apple right now is that they are putting design over functionality. If an innovative part won't fit the design of mr Ive it won't go in. Add to that the stagnant development of iOS and we have a sliding slope. I get the feeling Jobs at least was able to resits or hold back the design fanatism of Ive and to some degree be able to get innovation done and design adjusted. Now Ive is king and Cook can just say ' Uhm well, OK..'

With MS no unleashing their ecosystem and being in a position where their OS will basically expose the user to the same experience across all form factors with adjustments and alterations where applicable it is now that the cracks in the Apple Armour will start to show. Apple operates in two eco systems, one for iOS and one for OS X and unless they bring those together the'll be in trouble within two years.

I would be comfortable to predict we'll start getting signals from Apple they are merging iOS and OS X to a shared core early next year. They'll be late, but it will happen.

And then the iMore forums will be flooded with people whining about how their iPhone 5 won't get iOS 7...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I might sound like an apple fan boy here but hasn't apple proved time and again, by deciding it for iSheeps when is the right time to use certain functions? e.g. NFC this time. Even though we see NFC as a superior replacement to bluetooth sharing etc, iSheep are easily convinced that "we don't need NFC till at least 18 months" and when everyone wants it Apple will invent NFC again!

It has aesthetics and it just pulls off very well with lack of functions too!

Imagine Nokia 808 pureview being a WP, we would be bashing it for all it looks instead of amazing camera it actually holds. Most likely because Apple would have brainwashed the media explaining how 41MP camera isn't needed till 2016!

I think this is a great demonstration of how little of the smartphone revolution is about functionality and capability, versus social status.

Remember, 3G didn't matter on the original iPhone (neither did the ability to run apps). That was for TreoDorks.

Then, iPhone got the App Store, and they became MANDATORY. There's an APP for that! Apps are the center of the universe!

Then, multitasking was a "geek feature that nobody cares about." The Palm Pre was panned for having it. Until iOS got it -- then every OS that didn't have it was "subpar" (I remember WP7 being slammed for not having it by the same people who insisted that it didn't matter less than a year earlier).

Front-facing Skype over 3G was a "stupid battery-draining gimmick," until Apple came out with Facetime -- then it was a "revolutionary feature."

Then, 4G HSPA+28 and/or LTE was a "battery-draining gimmick." Until the iPhone 5 got it, then it was a "must have technology."

iPhone 6 will no doubt deliver NFC, and it will have no more capability than any other ecosystem, but the Apple press will hail it as "NFC done right" and "revolutionary," and iPhone hipsters will beep purchases with their iPhones 18 months after everyone else did it... while insisting that their implementation is "more authentically human" or some such nonsense.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Not only buying it, but I was expecting it. The lack of a true 41mm Pureview Windows Phone 8 Nokia device, changed me as a person, turned me into something darker, into the troll this board so much needed.

LoL

It was interesting seeing the transformation.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a great demonstration of how little of the smartphone revolution is about functionality and capability, versus social status.

Remember, 3G didn't matter on the original iPhone (neither did the ability to run apps). That was for TreoDorks.

Then, iPhone got the App Store, and they became MANDATORY. There's an APP for that! Apps are the center of the universe!

Then, multitasking was a "geek feature that nobody cares about." The Palm Pre was panned for having it. Until iOS got it -- then every OS that didn't have it was "subpar" (I remember WP7 being slammed for not having it by the same people who insisted that it didn't matter less than a year earlier).

Front-facing Skype over 3G was a "stupid battery-draining gimmick," until Apple came out with Facetime -- then it was a "revolutionary feature."

Then, 4G HSPA+28 and/or LTE was a "battery-draining gimmick." Until the iPhone 5 got it, then it was a "must have technology."

iPhone 6 will no doubt deliver NFC, and it will have no more capability than any other ecosystem, but the Apple press will hail it as "NFC done right" and "revolutionary," and iPhone hipsters will beep purchases with their iPhones 18 months after everyone else did it... while insisting that their implementation is "more authentically human" or some such nonsense.

I think you summed it up fairly nicely.

Speaking of which, I recently switched back (from WP7) to my older WM6.5 device which has multi-tasking (I'm selling my WP7 device to pay for my WP8 device). In fact, my first Windows Mobile device had apps, multi-tasking, etc before the iPhone existed. Back then the Windows Mobile device was thought of as a 'geek' phone that only nerds who like to tweak stuff used. lol

I will say though, that going from WP7 (Samsung Focus) back to WM6.5 (HTC Tilt 2) reminds me of how smooth WP7 really is and how great the user experience is. I still enjoy my older WM6 phones, but WP7 was a big leap forward in a lot of ways.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to mention that apple lost the perceived simplicity of their sales model. The theory is that apple sells one device. Like iPad, which comes in various storage capacities, with or without cellular radios, in 10 inches now or the new 8.

When you go to the apple store, make sure you don't pick up the old one they are still selling, it has the old 30 pin connector, and you, loyal apple customer, just had to purge all the 30 pin accessories, docks and spare charging cords from your life. So make sure you buy now to take advantage of the lightning connector before they obsolete it with the upcoming innovative 7 pin Lightning2 connector.

That single model iPad has to now exceed 50 different models for what is essentially the same device. It is just bs.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos