iPad sales down! - It's started..

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The Surface movement has started just like how Microsoft would have liked it. I came across this - http://news.yahoo.com/apple-ipad-sa...BzdGNhdAN0ZWNofGFwcGxlBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

However, like some of our members on here, Cook feels the same way and won't stop bashing others who produce better products:

"Cook also opined on Microsoft's new Windows 8-based Surface tablet that will hit stores early on Friday.
"I haven't personally played with the Surface yet, but what we're reading about it, is that it's a fairly compromised, confusing product," he said. "I suppose you could design a car that flies and floats, but I don't think it would do all of those things very well.""

Could WP8 launch just bring the whole movement together with an additional force?

Anyone still doubting how an ecosystem has been raised to take over the world?
They were right, (Apple) World will end in 2012.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's a bit early to say, but certainly, Apple's not in the same place it was a year ago!

That's what I've been thinking too. Nothing overly critical will probably happen in the next year at least, but the situation reminds me a lot about Nokia like 3-4 years back. Too happy on top of the hill that they forget to evolve and advance and others (back then Apple and later Android) will pass them.

The good thing about the lack of innovation for Apple recently is that it might be a saving grace for Windows Phone 8, as in this coinciding right now might help WP8 get some foothold.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I was watching Erin Burnett on U.S. CNN News last night and she covered the Surface Tablet. Then she asked viewers to tell her which tablet she should get on her CNN Facebook account. Then I saw a few WP ads for the CNN application.

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That's what I've been thinking too. Nothing overly critical will probably happen in the next year at least, but the situation reminds me a lot about Nokia like 3-4 years back. Too happy on top of the hill that they forget to evolve and advance and others (back then Apple and later Android) will pass them.

The good thing about the lack of innovation for Apple recently is that it might be a saving grace for Windows Phone 8, as in this coinciding right now might help WP8 get some foothold.

Exactly my thought! Yes they do have flocks of people dying for new devices, but with lack of innovation they aren't getting many converts. Ideally that is what MSFT wanted for both PC and Phones really. It will be hard to convert addicts but those people with feature phones, and first time smartphone users - getting low end Nokia WPs are essentially important! Apple won't attract them, with nothing new to offer.

Something like Nokia 2-3 years back - perfect example!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was watching Erin Burnett on U.S. CNN News last night and she covered the Surface Tablet. Then she asked viewers to tell her which tablet she should get on her CNN Twitter account. Then I saw a few WP ads for the CNN application.

I might go follow her Twitter account to find out what was suggested to her and what she decided! It is kinda cool I guess.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The game is Microsoft's to lose. They need to get the app developers excited and put in tighter quality controls. Some of these apps are just buggy as ****. Everything should just work on a surface.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I might go follow her Twitter account to find out what was suggested to her and what she decided! It is kinda cool I guess.

I said Twitter, but it looks like it was her Facebook account:
http://www.facebook.com/OutFrontCNN

frhty.jpg

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not surprised. Given the breakneck speeds of computer innovation currently happening, any company has only a maximum of 5-10 years at the very top before they get pulled back as new innovation uncovers new chinks in their armour.

Apple's issue is that they are now trying to have services, after seeing Google's success with it and MS already having such services as well. However, services don't get polished immediately. It also seems lacks innovation, happy to contend for evolution now. That's not a good sign for a company that redefined 2 product categories.

Google's problem is that despite its vast ecosystem, it lacks control on the ultimate frontier, the desktop. Something it is trying to solve with Chrome OS, I imagine, but it will take time. It also is facing what MS faced in the 90's, the fear that it will be a monopoly too big to stop.

MS's problem is mobile and touch. It has started to catch up in these 2 spaces, but entrenched leaders aren't beaten in catching up, you got to surpass them in various aspects, even new aspects.

Still, it's a good battle, and consumers benefit from innovation.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Problem with Apple right now is that they are putting design over functionality. If an innovative part won't fit the design of mr Ive it won't go in. Add to that the stagnant development of iOS and we have a sliding slope. I get the feeling Jobs at least was able to resits or hold back the design fanatism of Ive and to some degree be able to get innovation done and design adjusted. Now Ive is king and Cook can just say ' Uhm well, OK..'

With MS no unleashing their ecosystem and being in a position where their OS will basically expose the user to the same experience across all form factors with adjustments and alterations where applicable it is now that the cracks in the Apple Armour will start to show. Apple operates in two eco systems, one for iOS and one for OS X and unless they bring those together the'll be in trouble within two years.

I would be comfortable to predict we'll start getting signals from Apple they are merging iOS and OS X to a shared core early next year. They'll be late, but it will happen.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Problem with Apple right now is that they are putting design over functionality. If an innovative part won't fit the design of mr Ive it won't go in. Add to that the stagnant development of iOS and we have a sliding slope. I get the feeling Jobs at least was able to resits or hold back the design fanatism of Ive and to some degree be able to get innovation done and design adjusted. Now Ive is king and Cook can just say ' Uhm well, OK..'

With MS no unleashing their ecosystem and being in a position where their OS will basically expose the user to the same experience across all form factors with adjustments and alterations where applicable it is now that the cracks in the Apple Armour will start to show. Apple operates in two eco systems, one for iOS and one for OS X and unless they bring those together the'll be in trouble within two years.

I would be comfortable to predict we'll start getting signals from Apple they are merging iOS and OS X to a shared core early next year. They'll be late, but it will happen.

MSFT entered this market 4 years late and we think it will pull this off, then I am sure if Apple learns from it and redefines in a year, they won't have lost anything at all.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe there is such a thing as "putting design over functionality." Design is creative problem solving to deliver usable functionality.

Apple's "design" is often not design at all, but aesthetics. Aesthetics over functionality is often BAD design, when the functionality is important to the end user.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe there is such a thing as "putting design over functionality." Design is creative problem solving to deliver usable functionality.

Apple's "design" is often not design at all, but aesthetics. Aesthetics over functionality is often BAD design, when the functionality is important to the end user.

I might sound like an apple fan boy here but hasn't apple proved time and again, by deciding it for iSheeps when is the right time to use certain functions? e.g. NFC this time. Even though we see NFC as a superior replacement to bluetooth sharing etc, iSheep are easily convinced that "we don't need NFC till at least 18 months" and when everyone wants it Apple will invent NFC again!

It has aesthetics and it just pulls off very well with lack of functions too!

Imagine Nokia 808 pureview being a WP, we would be bashing it for all it looks instead of amazing camera it actually holds. Most likely because Apple would have brainwashed the media explaining how 41MP camera isn't needed till 2016!

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I might sound like an apple fan boy here but hasn't apple proved time and again, by deciding it for iSheeps when is the right time to use certain functions? e.g. NFC this time. Even though we see NFC as a superior replacement to bluetooth sharing etc, iSheep are easily convinced that "we don't need NFC till at least 18 months" and when everyone wants it Apple will invent NFC again!

It has aesthetics and it just pulls off very well with lack of functions too!

Imagine Nokia 808 pureview being a WP, we would be bashing it for all it looks instead of amazing camera it actually holds. Most likely because Apple would have brainwashed the media explaining how 41MP camera isn't needed till 2016!

There's an odd amount of truth to what you have said.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Analysts: "sales were most likely down as people were waiting for the mini"

reality: "sales were most likely down as people wanted to see Windows 8 tablets"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786