Made in flanders

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody,

first of all, I must say, I'm a BlackBerry fan, the last 3 years I've always carried a BlackBerry.
Normally my next phone (because my current curve start to show his age) will be a BlackBerry, but I'm not quite sure about it yet. BB10 looks promising but I don't know if it will be good enough, so I'm looking around on other platforms (yeah, I'm a ******, but if my phone isn't good enough I will switch to an other platform, if a phone is not good, the company has to suffer, not me) and I am really curious about WP8.
If BB10 fails for my, the first phone I will be looking at is the lumia 920, that phone really looks good, but I have some questions about WP8 (I know WP8 isn't out yet and you probably won't be able to answer all my questions with 100% certainty, but I want to know about people using WP).
I've looked at Android and IOS too, but those platforms just don't do the trick for me.

If there are people that have switched from BB to WP, how did you experience it, did you miss certain things? (I don't care about BBM by the way)
Very import questions, how does WP handles tasks and appointments? I like the way my BB handles it, but is it easy to use and see that on your WP?
And how is the typing? (There isn't any phone with a physical keyboard on the horizon if I'm not mistaken, because if it would, I really would look to that one)

Sorry for my poor English, but I'm Dutch speaking, I really do my best!:)

Thanks in advance.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
BB10 isn't supposed to be out until next year isn't it? Does anyone even know anything about that platform yet? By the time that comes out I have a feeling the 920 will be about to be replaced.

Personally, from the few videos I've seen of BB10 I don't like it. But that's just me. If you're looking for a phone now-ish, I don't think BB10 is even an option, you would have to wait several months.

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I have used BB for years but have moved on and am getting a Lumia 920. I just bought the MS Surface RT tablet because of the ecosystem. I have to be able to sync all of my tablets and phones together with contacts and calendars. The Surface synced up with my GMail for contacts and calendar really nicely and I am expecting the Lumia will do the same. I had the iPhone and it synced with my desktop and iPad. To me this makes a whole system. So I understand that Google dropped support for BB so I am going for the Lumia 920 and I understand that it has great build and reception as a phone which is most important of all.

Good luck on your decision. BB10 looks nice but the ecosystem if extremely important to me as I run a business and have to have everything working together.

Made in flanders

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
BB10 isn't supposed to be out until next year isn't it? Does anyone even know anything about that platform yet? By the time that comes out I have a feeling the 920 will be about to be replaced.

Personally, from the few videos I've seen of BB10 I don't like it. But that's just me. If you're looking for a phone now-ish, I don't think BB10 is even an option, you would have to wait several months.
Thanks for the fast respons.
BB10 should come out in Q1 next year, so in the best case scenario 2 months after the luma 920 and in the worst case scenario 5 months after it, so probably there won't be a replacement for the 920 yet.
And yeah, I'm not looking for a phone right now, but in only in a couple of months, I was just wondering.

There are some things that are known right now, peek, flow and the hub, although I like it, I'm not sure if it is good enough.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Any argument (Good or bad) about the BB10 is an argument to the future because we simply don't know until users get hold of it - having said that, I think as a platform - it's too late and RIM is simply too small to have the economies of scale to compete against Samsung/Apple, the Droid army AND Microsoft and partners.

I'm not confident that WP8 will be as successful as people here think but I suspect they will send RIM bust trying to keep up.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was a BlackBerry user before switching to Windows Phone in April 2012.

I'm happy with my Nokia Lumia 900, and I have heard the new Windows Phone 8 devices will even offer better features for business users than Windows Phone 7.5.

One thing I can already say is that I like Office much better than DocsToGo.

I also adjusted quickly to the touch screen and can type faster than I could on my BlackBerry.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Any argument (Good or bad) about the BB10 is an argument to the future because we simply don't know until users get hold of it - having said that, I think as a platform - it's too late and RIM is simply too small to have the economies of scale to compete against Samsung/Apple, the Droid army AND Microsoft and partners.

I'm not confident that WP8 will be as successful as people here think but I suspect they will send RIM bust trying to keep up.

well that depends on the OEMs and MS. and I think HTC, Nokia and Maybe Samsung are in for Wp8. and especially Wp8. oh and the carries. Verizon, AT&T and T-mobile are all in for it as well

Last edited:

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
WP's keyboard feels the best among the stock keyboards I have used from the 3 major platforms. BB's physical keyboard is the best of course, but haptic keyboards, you can't go too wrong with MS's offering.

Since you are waiting, just wait for BB10 to land, see what it does, and see if by then, the users who adopted WP8 are willing to stick to it and give praise to the stuff that you want your phone to do. Then decide. Asking now, when BB10 isn't finalized nor having the hardware, is not a good idea IMO.

It is a simple thing for me though, Nokia has great hardware in the L920 and I am a convert to WP8. So I am sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I am also unconvinced that BB10 will have the big name apps when it is launched. I expect to see a lot more apps for WP8, especially since many of these apps are already available for WP7.5.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
well that depends on the OEMs and MS. and I think HTC, Nokia and Maybe Samsung are in for Wp8. and especially Wp8. oh and the carries. Verizon, AT&T and T-mobile are all in for it as well

Even leaving WP8 out of it - I simply can't see how at this stage, such a small company as RIM can keep up with the giants like Samsung and Apple - much larger companies haven't managed it. This is a sector in which you need many billions to compete effectively.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I was also a BB user prior to switching to WP7. I switched to a Samsung Focus as soon as they became available in my area (December 2010). While BB definitely has some notable strengths, I would strongly recommend WP8 over BB10. This shouldn't be surprising given that I'm posting on a site dedicated to WP, but here are some of my reasons:

1. You won't miss the keyboard. This is what I was most worried about when I made the switch. Historically, touch screens and I do not get along. I still have a hard time trying to use an iPhone's or iPad's screen, but that's not the case with any WP devices I've used. The on-screen keyboard is very, very good, and doesn't result in the howlers that the autocorrect function on my Pearl would spit out.

2. RIM's support is questionable. Look at RIM's situation and Nokia's situation. They're pretty similar: both companies have gone "all in" on their next release, and the survival of these companies largely hinge on the success of that release. However, Nokia is doing everything in their power to ensure their own success, and RIM is barely puttering along. Given how both companies are treating their customers lately, and the attitudes of the companies themselves, I would expect that even if both products fail, Nokia would do the better job of supporting my device with updates, apps, etc., until its dying breath.

3. I'm skeptical about how good BB10 will be. I live very close to RIM's headquarters and know a few people who work for RIM, and I'm not sure they quite get what BB10 needs to do in order to succeed. I once had a half-hour debate with a RIM employee who was convinced that BB already had live tiles because of the asterisk that would appear on an icon if it has a notification (e.g. an email). He just could not grasp the difference, and claimed that it meant that BB was already more advanced than WP. This is anecdotal evidence, so take it as you'd like, but given the PlayBook debacle (up here the ad campaign boiled down to "IT HAS FLASH!"), I'm convinced that they just don't get it anymore.

There are other reasons too, but these are the big ones to me. Someone already mentioned Office vs Docs-to-go. The one thing BB wins on is battery life. Hands down.

In sum, I don't think there is much of a choice between BB10 and WP8. I could, however, see there being a bigger question when it comes to BB11 (if RIM is still around) and WP9 (or whatever number WP is up to by the time RIM releases BB11).

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to see RIM deliver a kick-*** product, but asking us about BB10 now is a bit like asking us about WP8 in May of 2012... too early to say.

I will say that I hope RIM provides an experience that's new and different, but familiar enough to BB people that they'll click into it easily. Otherwise, I have a hard time understanding how they'll get traction against the other guys...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BB10 looks pretty cool, if you are really fan of Blackberry then I recommend waiting for it. in the mean time there's plenty of cheap offerings by Windows/Android and Apple (used 3GS) to quench your touch screen thirst.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If you were not a bb ****** I would have to ask " what kind of question is that? " . But regardless the curve I had was crappy it would freeze, I would have to do the battery pull, and it was lacking in apps. I I recall correctly there was an app that costs $ 99.99 . I had it for 2 months. After that I couldn't take the bs anymore. From that experience I would not suggest the black berry to anyone.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I worked for blackberry tech support as a lead and I'm switching over to WP8... can't lie though seeing I will probably pick up a B10 device as well BUT my main device will be wp8

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to see RIM deliver a kick-*** product, but asking us about BB10 now is a bit like asking us about WP8 in May of 2012... too early to say.

I will say that I hope RIM provides an experience that's new and different, but familiar enough to BB people that they'll click into it easily. Otherwise, I have a hard time understanding how they'll get traction against the other guys...

But product is actually a small part of it - RIM's total cashpile is less than Samung and apple's spent on supply chain advantage - that's before you get into the pile needed for marketing, R&D etc"

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
But product is actually a small part of it - RIM's total cashpile is less than Samung and apple's spent on supply chain advantage - that's before you get into the pile needed for marketing, R&D etc"
True! You can put out a great product but if you don't have a boatload of cash to support it, keep momentum and create disruptions, you won't last long.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
True! You can put out a great product but if you don't have a boatload of cash to support it, keep momentum and create disruptions, you won't last long.

My company uses BB regardless of version and support! Now we just have to convince them to use WP8!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion