Microsoft actually took away features with this update.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
As usual, whenever Microsoft releases a new mobile operating system, something useful that you might rely on gets removed.
?FM Radio support
?Native turn-by-turn touch to announce driving directions (replaced by third party apps)
?WiFi sync with the desktop (now only cloud sync or USB transfer is available)
?Auto-playlists sync (playlists need to be created manually now)
?Quick share to Facebook. Now you have to press the Share button, scroll, & tap Facebook
?Sharing posts and pictures to the Windows Live Social is gone
?The option to remove location info from pictures when uploading to social networks is gone (but you can still
disallow saving location information with photos)
?The ?New Note? start screen tile shortcut is no longer available

From Neogaf-From Pocketnow review.

Bad decisions, specially the lack of quick share to facebook. Try to win to smoke contests now.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll be gutted if wifi sync has gone.

F&*k drag and drop, when you just point zune at the right locations, and it automatically finds everything, and purchases from any store just sync when your phone does.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
"Actually took away features" implies there was a drop in features. There was a net increase, though I'm hardly surprised by another clickbait post.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
With all due respect Nokia drive is free and will be included with every WP8. Maybe MS thought that would be better than the built in solution that will still have directions

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
That was by far the deepest and most informative review I have read. It's also nice to see one from someone who actively uses the product and isn't hopelessly entranched in the Google and Android ecosystem.

Unfortunately it also confirmed all of my fears in regards to the new sync app. It's terrible. I use autoplaylists all the time and quite frankly I love that Zune is both a media player and sync client, it makes it so easy to manage my stuff. I don't understand why they would take such a huge step backwards with this. Then again, the W8 music app is a pretty big step back in most respects too. Hopefully, with the sync app still in beta, it will be improved greatly in short order.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I am really bummed about removing wireless sync. Also am bummed about turn-by-turn nav. If all phones come with Nokia Drive as has been speculated I will let that pass, but it's hard to imagine HTC or Samsung allowing the name Nokia anywhere on their phones. And the real kicker: there are no models yet with a keyboard.

It is starting to look like me and my Quantum might sit this one out, unfortunately. We'll see what the first update brings..

TheNerdlyKnight

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Lipp, where has it been stated Nokia Srive is not present? Nokia Drive + will be Nokia exclusive which means no voice guided directions directions on HTC or Samsung phones. Quite a difference.

The Windows Live social pages is a dying product for Microsoft, I understand why they too away the social update sharing to it.

As for the Facebook thing, one more step is far from a removed feature or deal breaker. Take two extra seconds, it'll be alright.

The only bummer is the removal of wi-fi syncing IMHO. This article is clickbait obviously as they fail to remind everyone and as everyone forgets here that Microsoft added over 1000 new features with WP8.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
With all due respect Nokia drive is free and will be included with every WP8. Maybe MS thought that would be better than the built in solution that will still have directions

See, that's what they said during the presentation in June or whenever, but now it kind of sounds like what they're doing is including the Nokia / formerly Navteq maps into the OS, and any turn by turn navigation or processing of that is up to a third-party developer to use.

I mean, I hope that all manufacturers still get the Nokia Drive turn-by-turn stuff, but I'm not sure anymore.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
See, that's what they said during the presentation in June or whenever, but now it kind of sounds like what they're doing is including the Nokia / formerly Navteq maps into the OS, and any turn by turn navigation or processing of that is up to a third-party developer to use.

I mean, I hope that all manufacturers still get the Nokia Drive turn-by-turn stuff, but I'm not sure anymore.

From the Nokia blog comments below the article ( Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones ? Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog ):

"Windows phone 8 has been announced, but I still haven't heard about Nokia Drive being on non-nokia devices yet. Is this still true?

Yes this is still true and still happening. Nokia Drive is an app that we are going to make available to other Windows Phone 8 partners. The app itself will be released soon, but the other manufacturers and providers will decide how and where to make it available to their customers."

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I know. It's not like the other manufacturers are going to jump and release it as soon as they get it. Still, it's nice knowing that it'll be out there sometime :/

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Can I change your username to Negativefang?

I think he should get the boot. I've never seen him write anything positive. I've mentioned about his negativity before. I wonder how successful he is in life because negative attitudes don't get you very far...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon