Microsoft actually took away features with this update.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Everyone criticising Winterfang is missing the point: MS dropped the ball on sync software, big time. IMO the Zune client is one of the best all-in-one pieces of media software out there. It plays music, videos, and podcasts, it connects to the marketplace to download the same, it syncs with your portable music player, all in a pretty, efficient, and smooth interface. What is it being replaced with? Drag and drop? Windows Media Player? Really? What an absolutely horrible way to manage gigabytes of content. This is a huge fail and honestly might make me hold off of WP8. In this day and age, it's inexcusable not to have a top-notch media management application; MS has one, they've just decided to abandon it. Pity.

-R

Last edited:

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Everyone stop. Take a deep breath, and think for a second.

There is no doubt in my mind MS was in crunch mode for a long time to meet their deadline on Windows Phone 8. Couple that with the fact that they just practically just pulled an entirely new ecosystem out of their a**es in a relatively smooth manner and I'm sure they were feeling the pressure.

Now, yes it bites that they removed the coolest features from Zune desktop in their new software, but I can think of dozens of things about Zune desktop that needed improvement and it rarely saw big updates.

Consider that they knew they would be replacing it with a better process.

Consider that they have the ability to push the update to the sync app through the Windows Store.

Consider that they add these features in the near future... they did just start from scratch with the syncing software.

Consider that the WiFi sync capabilities are still in the OS, but simply hidden, or coming in a patch when the corresponding desktop/metro apps are ready for the feature.

Thank about it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Crunch mode? New Ecosystem? I could care less about what they do with Zune, It started to suck. But what's the new ecosystem, I can't see anything but them building on what they have already established. I see nothing more than a name change for customer interest.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank about it.

Think about what? I am not interested in the inner workings of the company and I am not an apologist. If they don't bring features that I want and/or take away features that I like then I will not be upgrading. That's a very simply thought process from my perspective. If they make updates in the future then I will re-evaluate. Until then, I am passing on this first wave, much like I passed on WP7 until Mango.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Everyone criticising Winterfang is missing the point: MS dropped the ball on sync software, big time. IMO the Zune client is one of the best all-in-one pieces of media software out there. It plays music, videos, and podcasts, it connects to the marketplace to download the same, it syncs with your portable music player, all in a pretty, efficient, and smooth interface. What is it being replaced with? Drag and drop? Windows Media Player? Really? What an absolutely horrible way to manage gigabytes of content. This is a huge fail and honestly might make me hold off of WP8. In this day and age, it's inexcusable not to have a top-notch media management application; MS has one, they've just decided to abandon it. Pity.

-R

I'm guessing the drag and drop is due to the adamant android and win mobile people that were *****ing about having to use Zune on WP7 and how much easier it'd be to just drag and drop files. I know that's the case with at least one friend of mine.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

-R

Have you even used the new software that you're condemning yet? :straight:

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm only one of a few, but I'm pissed they removed the FM radio. But I'm mostly pissed about what they've done with Zune. Autoplaylists gone!? Xbox Music replacing it with a complete POS Metro app?!? WTF are the idiots at MS thinking...HUGE step back from Zune, including the name Xbox Music.

I'll be sticking with my Lumia 900 until they get this **** sorted. WP8 is worth nothing to me at this point. Hopefully WP8.5 fixes it.....lol

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Crunch mode? New Ecosystem? I could care less about what they do with Zune, It started to suck. But what's the new ecosystem, I can't see anything but them building on what they have already established. I see nothing more than a name change for customer interest.
Um, windows 8, smartglass, and a new Windows 8 store.

You can't say that the new Windows 8 and Windows 8 Store AND all the support/connectivity it brings with Microsofts other devices (WP8 and Xbox) as not new. It's built on many services they offered before, only better.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Think about what? I am not interested in the inner workings of the company and I am not an apologist. If they don't bring features that I want and/or take away features that I like then I will not be upgrading. That's a very simply thought process from my perspective. If they make updates in the future then I will re-evaluate. Until then, I am passing on this first wave, much like I passed on WP7 until Mango.

Good for you. Life's too short to ***** and whine about the minutia on forums.

When I say "Think about it", imagine you are cursing at a guy who seemingly 'cut you off' on a freeway. Imagine that he may have had a good reason to pull into that spot in front of you. Imagine that he had his signal on for 20 seconds already and you, not paying attention, weren't letting him in. Imagine you were being an obnoxious idiot over it because you didn't think about the details from the other driver's perspective.

Think about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos