So who's impressed and who's depressed?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i personally am not that impressed with windows phone 8... sure it looks great, and there are some great improvements... but being that it is a 3 year old OS now, i still feel app selection is way too small, marketshare is not growing very fast, and its just not taking off like i expected it to. it seems as if MS is in a constant transtioning phase, and people are always waiting for the next update.

with all the silence, i honestly expected more? what was the big secret? kids corner?

plus the surface isnt getting great reviews either... hardware is lovely but the software seems buggy.

i think i am going to pass on the 1st generation of windows phone 8 devices.... it still needs to mature... so i for one am a little depressed :blush:

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
For the first time ever, Microsoft is attempting to create a complete ecosystem, and WP8 is a brand new operating system. Give it some time.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Loving my Surface so far. Wishing the WP8 was out so I can enjoy the ecosystem even more. But not worth getting depressed over. Some people are just harder to please. The effect of the instant gratification.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
For the first time ever, Microsoft is attempting to create a complete ecosystem, and WP8 is a brand new operating system. Give it some time.
...heard that with WinMo 6.0, 6.1, 6.5 ,Windows Phone 7.0, 7.5, etc....I'm not depressed, but I'm not impressed either.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am happy with wp8. There was no shocking announcement or surprise, but what they delivered was enough. I wish the carriers were there to deliver the news they needed to release. I am up on contract, and my focus is getting overdue for replacement. My micro sd card crapped out on me, and now the power button sticks and the phone powers off instead of locking the screen. Ill definitely be going yo the at&t store to upgrade soon as I can.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Loving my Surface so far. Wishing the WP8 was out so I can enjoy the ecosystem even more. But not worth getting depressed over. Some people are just harder to please. The effect of the instant gratification.

i dont mean it literally... but what im saying is we have waited a long time for this... and now that its here it doesnt seem like a huge improvement from mango

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
it is enough for some, and im sure i would be content with an htc 8x... i just expected more is all.

and i havent persoanlly got a chance to play with one so i am going off reviews, and most of them are depressing too...

maybe i just need to go to my local verizon store come novemeber and try it out...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
i dont mean it literally... but what im saying is we have waited a long time for this... and now that its here it doesnt seem like a huge improvement from mango

Sprint was taking so long to get WP7, I couldn't wait and got the evo. Contract is up and just waiting now. So since I haven't had WP yet, and waited this long, a little more doesn't bother me. Might be different if I was a present user.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

the kernel it runs on is different but it is the same OS as windows phone 7, lets not kid. a different start screen is the only visual difference.

going from windows mobile to windows 7 is a completely different OS, not this.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
A little of both. I like all the new features they have implemented. Some really cool features. A little disappointed in that WP8 is officially released and still now hardware to use them on. If they at least announced preorder available then I would be satisfied. But we didn't even get that. Can't wait for official word from AT&T. Until then, I will just have to twiddle my thumbs.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
the kernel it runs on is different but it is the same OS as windows phone 7, lets not kid. a different start screen is the only visual difference.

Thank you. I'm so tired of the "this is a new OS" crap...it's the same OS, just running a different kernel, which is strange because you couldn't upgrade Winmo 6.5.3 to Windows Phone 7 because it was "different", yet everyone with an HD2 can run it....sounds like MS wants more beta testers for WP9.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think too many people are looking at the little picture.

It's not just the phone's OS.

WP is just one part of a bigger highly integrated ecosystem, where content seamlessly moves with you no matter what MS powered device you're on.

The future is here. Many just recognize it yet.

:)

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I think too many people are looking at the little picture.

It's not just the phone's OS.

WP is just one part of a bigger highly integrated ecosystem, where content seamlessly moves with you no matter what MS powered device you're on.

The future is here. Many just recognize it yet.

:)

true, but this is what airplay has done quite well for some time now...

i think there is huge opportunity for MS with this change, but is it too late? or does the mass majority of users care what kernel there devices run on, or even know?
im not sure yet... i feel like MS has a great product but has no clue how to market it, or how to present it... these last few events have been sloppy to say the least. no release dates, really?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
true, but this is what airplay has done quite well for some time now...

i think there is huge opportunity for MS with this change, but is it too late? or does the mass majority of users care what kernel there devices run on, or even know?
im not sure yet... i feel like MS has a great product but has no clue how to market it, or how to present it... these last few events have been sloppy to say the least. no release dates, really?

Most people don't know what a kernel is, let alone care.

All it really means is that development for multiple platforms will be much much much easier. Same kernel. Same API base.

Theorhetically, anything that you can do with Windows 8 (for ARM), you should be able to do with Windows Phone. That includes it working with existing printers, keyboards, scanners, mice, etc...

Airplay is neat, but this will eventually reach a completely different level. The cloud has so much potential.

Heck, look at what they're doing with Skype. Skype will be running in the cloud. You're logged on in the cloud. That means that it's not using processor power or battery power on your device, but you're still logged in all the time. It doesn't have to run in the background.

We'll see stuff like this with other services. And I expect Skydrive to keep expanding in what it's capable of. I could see video game saves being stored on Skydrive, so that you can play on one XBOX and then go to someone else's XBOX and continue where you left off without a hiccup.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Maybe you should wait to actually use it before you review it.

This forum doesn't need two Winterfangs. One is too much already.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Good idea, but I just bought a new laptop exactly a year ago running Windows 7....if I get a WP8 device, can't do the ecosystem thing :).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb