Free WP8 Internet Sharing/WiFi Tethering?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Carriers are dirtbags for charging for this

that sums up my feelings about carriers. Where I live the feds held a long meeting all week to chew out the carriers for their gouging practices, I hope some good comes out of it. I hope the Rogers family, Bell and all the others got stomped hard.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but 4G Prepaid is only 500mb of 4G then it drops to Edge just like the 2GB and 5GB plans drop to edge after you reach the respective limits. I'm on the truly unlimited (currently at 13GB of data used this month) and they said if they allowed Unlimited 4G and Tethering, people would use it as home internet >_>
Well there is the $30 prepaid of unlimited data/text, with only 100min of talk, you can add tethering for $10 extra, and it's really unlimited with no cap. What really sucks is that I've found that if you have certain Android phones, they allow free tethering. WTFrak!!! The whole wireless industry is nothing but double standards.

Stefan L

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked phones does not work any longer. Tethering is blocked when you insert an ATT SIM or any of the MVNOs in WP8 or iOS devices... Like in iOS a carrier profile is applied, I sold the Nokia 920. This is unheard of in Europe. Really difficult to understand people that argue that the carriers should be allowed to charge for this, that is charge again to use the data you already paid for.
So I am back to using a narrow screen iphone 5 where there are jailbreak apps that restore the functionality that is taken away when you insert an ATT SIM.

Nokia is selling the 920 in Europe with sharing for up to 8 units but no mentioning that they reserve the right to disable it should you cross the wrong border... False marketing...

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has nothing to do with it, blame the carriers. That said I am ok that unlimited users have to pay for tethering. I know for a fact that many people would use LTE as their sole internet and the networks can't handle that currently. It would kill everyone's total bandwidth. I would rather keep my 25mbs down and 10mbs up LTE nice and fast. I switched to a family share plan and it actually dropped my bill 20 dollars. Have 10gb for four lines and couldn't be happier.

Stefan L

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Nokia, Apple and the vendors have everything to do with this. The went one step to far when they allow the operator to dictate what features are available on full price "unlocked" devices. (Well there are no fully unlocked devices any longer on WP8 or iOS, they lock functionality depending on what SIM you put in.)

To "semi brick" the devices when a certain SIM is put in just because the carriers have not figured out how to throttle or charge for data is ridiculous.
It is also worth noting that;
1. We already overpay for service in the US
2. LTE is almost twice as fast in Europe, 35 to 60 mb (As with previous technologies the US gets only half the speed)
3. This is more or less only a US problem as no decent carrier would come up with the idea to charge extra for the data just because it is used outside the device itself.

Basically we get twice the cost or more and half the speed here in the US.

International Herald Tribune
According to the study, Verizon Wireless...charges $7.50 for each gigabyte. ... more than 10 times what consumers pay in Sweden. ... Having a data-only plan...would reduce the per-gigabyte charge at Verizon Wireless to $5.50.

See
Why American LTE Costs Far More than in Europe - Input Output
OpenSignal - The State of LTE

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I am OK with unlimited users having to pay for tethering.

I am not OK with paying for 3GB of transfer data and now being able to use that data however the **** I want.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

OK... I think I know why you are asking... It is not that I agree entirely with charging tethering to people that are on unlimited... But maybe I should have said I do see why do it. It is those people that tend to abuse it, overload the servers, and ruin it for everyone. I remember people having the nerve to proudly proclaim how they canceled their home internet and are using unpaid tethering for their home as a replacement raking hundreds of GBs in data transfer. Cell phone networks are just not equipped (at least at this point) to handle that kind of load and we end up with a lot of people unhappy with their service. So in principle I am not as opposed in that scenario. You may not agree with that and I don't really intend to argue my case in favor of it.

But if you are already limited and have a specific amount you can use... Why do they care how someone uses their allotted data?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
OK... I think I know why you are asking... It is not that I agree entirely with charging tethering to people that are on unlimited... But maybe I should have said I do see why do it. It is those people that tend to abuse it, overload the servers, and ruin it for everyone. I remember people having the nerve to proudly proclaim how they canceled their home internet and are using unpaid tethering for their home as a replacement raking hundreds of GBs in data transfer. Cell phone networks are just not equipped (at least at this point) to handle that kind of load and we end up with a lot of people unhappy with their service. So in principle I am not as opposed in that scenario. You may not agree with that and I don't really intend to argue my case in favor of it.

But if you are already limited and have a specific amount you can use... Why do they care how someone uses their allotted data?

However with Three in the UK, you get unlimited data and you can do whatever the heck you want with it. Heck, you could power a supercomputer with it... And they wouldn't care. Apparently they're doing the same with their 4G. ?25/mth for unlimited 3G or 4G depending on if the smartphone supports 4G, tethering included. Wish my NL920 wasn't EE-locked but oh well :(

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
However with Three in the UK, you get unlimited data and you can do whatever the heck you want with it. Heck, you could power a supercomputer with it... And they wouldn't care. Apparently they're doing the same with their 4G. ?25/mth for unlimited 3G or 4G depending on if the smartphone supports 4G, tethering included. Wish my NL920 wasn't EE-locked but oh well :(

Carriers in the US definitely abuse us but I don't see it changing. :(

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Well you guys should feel lucky. I'm on tmobile and have 3 phones on a unlimited 4G plan and I can't tether even if pay. Tethering isn't an potion with an unlimited 4G plan, I would have to downgrade to 5GB plan for 10 dollars more on top of the fee to tether.

Huh, I'm also on T-Mobile using an unlocked Lumia 920 with an unlimited 4G data plan, but I can still turn on Internet Sharing without having to pay for the 5GB plan and use it normally.

I'm guessing this only applies to newer customers, since they've seem to have just started to enforce this ruling.

Russell Nesbitt

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I have T-Mobile and with my Windows 7.5 phone I am able to tether all I want. But .... I upgraded my wife's phone at Christmas to a WP8. Now, she can not tether without having to go to the 5gig plan. This really sucks, with her old phone we could tether with any data plan, now I have to spend $35 per month for 5 gig, she probably would only use 1/2 a gig per month. This for sure puts a hold on me upgrading my phone to wp8. I am even worried about upgrading my phone to 7.8. I probably wont do that either for fear that I might loose my tethering capability.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Huh, I'm also on T-Mobile using an unlocked Lumia 920 with an unlimited 4G data plan, but I can still turn on Internet Sharing without having to pay for the 5GB plan and use it normally.

I'm guessing this only applies to newer customers, since they've seem to have just started to enforce this ruling.

you're using an unlocked/unbranded device. why else do you think it works?

Stefan L

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is an american thing.
ATT has convinced Microsoft and Apple to implement a carrier profile that is activated with an ATT compatible SIM (All MVNOs). The ATT profile activates an app that checks against a server if you are allowed by ATT to tether or not (even if you are not with ATT). This is also the same on full price unlocked devices, they brick themselves if you put an ATT SIM in.

As there is no hack for WP8 you have to stay with iOS or Android devices. My Lumia 920 is retired

T mobile should be fine though but who knows what happens when carrier profiles are updated when both Apple and Microsoft is now enforcing blocking device functionality for the carriers on the fly...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234