WP 7.8 Apps

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So I bet in 2 - 3 months, All New and Big name apps will be for WP8 or Lumia Devices. What do you guys think. When instagram comes to Windows Phone, it will probably be WP8, Pandora- most likely WP8...

I don't have an upgrade for another year, so I will be waiting until then to upgrade but what do you guys think?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just as easy to make apps that will work on both 7.5/7.8 AND 8 as it is to make native WP8 apps so smart developers will do that, at least for a while, so they can have a much larger customer base. Also, don't forget that new low end phones in developing markets will be shipping with WP 7.8 for some time to come. Those people will want to buy apps too.

I would say perhaps a YEAR from now you will start to see new apps be mostly WP8 only. To go that route now, when you can make an app that runs on both and there are millions of people still using 7.5 and 7.8.

The first apps you will probably see that will be WP8 only will be apps that actually leverage the power of dual core processors and wouldn't run well on older phones anyway, like games with more advanced graphics, for example.

Eventually though, completely new apps will come out and at least some developers are going to want to make them work in Metro on Windows 8 and WP8, those apps are not going to work on 7.5 and 7.8, but I think we are at least a year away from there being a significant number of apps like that.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Socialcarpet now that you say this it brings back the thought in my mind from last night. In that thread with first impressions and photos of Lumia, there is one video where Whatsapp is mentioned. Fast Resume is dubbed as something Windows Phone 8 only. Now when apps like FB, Twitter and Whatsapp are updating to newer versions using those Fast Resume functionality, they won't be really spending time on 2 versions. I don't see how they can make one version that works on all 3 platforms when some features that aren't yet in 7.5/7.8 are not core dependent but pure API dependent.

So, I was thinking, if all the basic apps have to make a newer version for WP8 to use those exclusive non-hardware dependent functions, surely the support for WP7.x will drop quicker than we think. Earlier than a year? - This sounds like a good business strategy because those loyals, when frustrated with WP7.x will eventually switch early 2013 if not now to WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte