WP8 and earphones with remote controls

Rob Cannon

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I really want to get a new Windows Phone 8, but there is one feature of the iPhone that is a must have and I don't think it is present on the WP8 platform.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and having a set of earphones that has a remote button that I can use to pause the podcast (and volume up/down) is just a feature that I cannot do without. Can I use this type of earphone on a Windows Phone 8 device?

Why not?
Does Apple have some kind of a patent it won't license to anyone else?
Finally, is there some alternative that can make me not miss this ability?

Thanks,
Rob

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
These kind of earphones are present since the launch of first WP i.e. Windows Phone 7. I use this for my Titan AND Lumia.

Welcome to WPC.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
There are alot that don't work though. Beats headphones will only kinds work. The play/pause button works but the volume rockers will not.

Rob Cannon

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have tried a set of Altec and Scosche earphones (made for iPhone) with a Lumia 900 running WP 7.5. The microphone does not work, the volume controls do not work. Holding the button will invoke the WP talk interface, but it cannot hear my commands. Pressing the button does not pause music.

The earphones included did not have these features.

So, are there brands of earphones that do work with WP7/WP8 that are not Bluetooth? Just simple in-ear earphones with the remote on the cord?

AND VERY IMPORTANT: Will pressing the button pause the playing music/podcast?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have tried a set of Altec and Scosche earphones (made for iPhone) with a Lumia 900 running WP 7.5. The microphone does not work, the volume controls do not work. Holding the button will invoke the WP talk interface, but it cannot hear my commands. Pressing the button does not pause music.

The earphones included did not have these features.

So, are there brands of earphones that do work with WP7/WP8 that are not Bluetooth? Just simple in-ear earphones with the remote on the cord?

AND VERY IMPORTANT: Will pressing the button pause the playing music/podcast?
yes.. but that is the only working function from my experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss