Wanting to buy a Lumia 920 when it comes out, wondering if it has these features

Drakal

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on Android at the moment with my Galaxy Nexus, but I have been wanting to switch to a more fluid platform, hesitant to switch from my investment in the app ecosystem but I need a change. Since I am going to be completely new, I was wondering if the Lumia had any of these features, whether downloading an app or otherwise. Here's a list of critical and then favorable things I'd need/like respectively.

>Gmail
>Skype
>Live Messenger, especially multiple accounts (Given but couldnt hurt to ask...)
>Viber
>Visual Voicemail
>DLNA Client(s)
>News apps, flipboard/pulse etc
>YouTube

If most/all of these are available, I'd be set and going to buy a Lumia when it comes out!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. To most.

I have my Gmail setup through the mail app so that works.
Skype is integrated into the OS (not trying to be snarky, but this has been mentioned A LOT since Microsoft bought Skype some time ago).
Don't use Live Messenger, but I believe its there - lots of chat/messenger programs integrated into the OS
Viber is there for Nokia phones.
Visual Voicemail is available depending on your wireless provider
DLNA Client(s) - not sure, I don't use them.
Plenty of news apps. No flipboard, but Pulse is there and the WP exclusive app Weave.
There are quite a few good YouTube apps.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm currently on Android at the moment with my Galaxy Nexus, but I have been wanting to switch to a more fluid platform, hesitant to switch from my investment in the app ecosystem but I need a change. Since I am going to be completely new, I was wondering if the Lumia had any of these features, whether downloading an app or otherwise. Here's a list of critical and then favorable things I'd need/like respectively.

>Gmail Native mail app supports Gmail
>Skype Of course, very good integration in WP8
>Live Messenger, especially multiple accounts (Given but couldnt hurt to ask...) Yes, but not sure you can have multiple accounts as I believe it's driven by your primary MS account that is linked with the phone
>Viber Yes, but not video calls at the moment
>Visual Voicemail Carrier specific, but supported
>DLNA Client(s) Yes
>News apps, flipboard/pulse etc Not Flipboard specificially, but yes many good news apps, and aggregators like Weave, Zite, etc.
>YouTube No official one from Google, but MetroTube and SuperTube are excellent

If most/all of these are available, I'd be set and going to buy a Lumia when it comes out!

See comments in red above...

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a question myself. For the most part, G-Mail is simple for me in terms of reading and deleting emails. However, important emails, I like to move to my "Important" folder. I noticed I had trouble accessing this on my outlook.com account. I can get g-mail, but I don't get access to those other folders I've made.

On top of that, when I do delete them from Outlook.com, they don't delete on my g-mail.

Drakal

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. To most.

I have my Gmail setup through the mail app so that works.
Skype is integrated into the OS (not trying to be snarky, but this has been mentioned A LOT since Microsoft bought Skype some time ago).
Don't use Live Messenger, but I believe its there - lots of chat/messenger programs integrated into the OS
Viber is there for Nokia phones.
Visual Voicemail is available depending on your wireless provider
DLNA Client(s) - not sure, I don't use them.
Plenty of news apps. No flipboard, but Pulse is there and the WP exclusive app Weave.
There are quite a few good YouTube apps.

Oh dont worry, I figured skype was in but again, wanted to make sure since its something I use tons. And with this news consider you guys to have another member!

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a question myself. For the most part, G-Mail is simple for me in terms of reading and deleting emails. However, important emails, I like to move to my "Important" folder. I noticed I had trouble accessing this on my outlook.com account. I can get g-mail, but I don't get access to those other folders I've made.

On top of that, when I do delete them from Outlook.com, they don't delete on my g-mail

Did you set it up with Pop3? I think it has to retain the email on the server for Pop3. I could be wrong.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

>Gmail
>Skype
>Live Messenger, especially multiple accounts (Given but couldnt hurt to ask...)
>Viber
>Visual Voicemail
>DLNA Client(s)
>News apps, flipboard/pulse etc
>YouTube

Gmail - integrated
Skype - integrated via app
Live Messenger - integrated into messaging app
Viber - Nokia has it, apparently it was broken recently but a fix has since been released
Visual Voicemail - Integrated into the Phone app - Only on supported carriers (those punks at Rogers STILL dont have it yet, but AT&T does)
DLNA - Nokia PlayTo works well on my Sony Bravia
News apps - plenty, not sure about the specific ones there but there are also very good RSS feed apps
Youtube - yes, official app and MetroTube / Supertube.

Your gold if you get a Nokia device son. Celebrate :D:D:D

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site

On top of that, when I do delete them from Outlook.com, they don't delete on my g-mail.

Regarding folders, click the little '...' menu at the bottom in your inbox then hit folders. You should see them there.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Youtube - yes, official app and MetroTube / Supertube.

Your gold if you get a Nokia device son. Celebrate :D:D:D

Full disclosure, that is not really a YouTube App... The Official YouTube app we have on the phone directs you to the mobile YouTube site in the IE Browser.

Granted, it works GREAT for viewing and browsing...but some people really like their YouTube and spend hours and hours exploring and searching and finding... The Mobile site doesn't work as well as an App might work for stuff like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett