Cnet tests 8X, 920, iP5 cameras

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think iPhone photos are sharper and better contrasted, however in low-light condition Nokia takes the lead.
I am actually disappointed with Lumia 920's camera, i expected sharper images in the day light.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
There are too many inconsistent comparisons of these phone cameras on the Internet. I wonder if an actual photography site has done reviews or comparisons on this.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There are too many inconsistent comparisons of these phone cameras on the Internet. I wonder if an actual photography site has done reviews or comparisons on this.

I'm pretty sure you saw this aubreyq, but for those that haven't:

This is the most competent Lumia 920 camera comparison I've seen so far. Jessica Dolcourt from cnet (actually anyone from cnet) is simply clueless in comparison. They simply lack the knowledge to review anything technical.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you saw this aubreyq, but for those that haven't:

This is the most competent Lumia 920 camera comparison I've seen so far. Jessica Dolcourt from cnet (actually anyone from cnet) is simply clueless in comparison. They simply lack the knowledge to review anything technical.
Actually I had not seen it. That was a good test. I'm looking forward to seeing their 8X camera testing, however I doubt it'll be superior to the 920's.

Thanks for the link!!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the Iphone 5 is most consistent, with the Lumia offering unnatural colors and blur but exceeding in the dark and the 8X offering great pictures but chocking most of the time..

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, this is the way we should get the picture reviews. As normal people take it, no everyone has the time or knowledge to use the settings. They just want to focus, shoot and get a good picture.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, this is the way we should get the picture reviews. As normal people take it, no everyone has the time or knowledge to use the settings. They just want to focus, shoot and get a good picture.

People who couldn't be bothered to use cameras correctly, probably don't really care about picture quality either, so I don't see why tests should cater to the lowest competency level of humanity.

Nevertheless, the review I linked to did include one test to simulate a clueless user. I think that is a fair compromise.

Calot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, because holding the phone and waiting one more second to push the button AND mind what you are doing takes to much work and knowledge. Yeah. I forgot. That is not what normal people should do.

Calot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
People who couldn't be bothered to use cameras correctly, probably don't really care about picture quality either, so I don't see why tests should cater to the lowest competency level of humanity.

Nevertheless, the review I linked to did include one test to simulate a clueless user. I think that is a fair compromise.
I, in NO way, am a professional photographer or have taken one single class in photography.

I just happen to have this little thing called "common sense" and some interest in how things I do come out.

That has helped me get better pictures with my phone.

If someone can not do that, they certainly have the lowest competency level of humanity.

:)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
People take crappy pictures, I had a friend with an Iphone 4 and she kept complaining about the crappy camera, I was taking photos with my Optimus 7 and she love how the pictures look. (Well she did had a GS2 before the iphone, is very hard not to take a great picture with that phone)

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
The point of the comparisons is to show you what sort of image quality that the average consumer will be producing. Sure, someone with experience/interest/time will be able to manipulate the settings on any of these devices to produce some amazing shots, but most folks who are interesting in smartphones for their cameras are interested in their ability to quickly take "point and shoot"-type images. That's why the CNet article praised the consistency of the iPhone5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99