Cnet tests 8X, 920, iP5 cameras

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Seems like a good test to me. She isn't using the camera incorrectly. She holding it up and taking a shot, just like a normal user would.

On a different note, WTF if going on with that HTC 8X camera. Pretty crappy.

Order:
Nokia Lumia 920
iPhone 5
HTC 8X

But I was expecting the 920 to blow the iPhone out the water with Nokia touting OIS the way they are, but it didn't. Not really a big difference.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was honestly thinking the 8x was going to have the better camera. I was really hoping for something extraordinary but eh it is what it is.

I keep telling myself the 8x is better (cause im on Verizon and I don't even have the choice) now you guys are making this harder on me! lol

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I was honestly thinking the 8x was going to have the better camera. I was really hoping for something extraordinary but eh it is what it is.

I keep telling myself the 8x is better (cause im on Verizon and I don't even have the choice) now you guys are making this harder on me! lol
Man, I gotta be honest. If I were on Verizon I'd be considering the Nokia 822 or wait for the Samsung Odyssey's specs to be detailed.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The variety of picture quality in some of these reviews, specifically with the 920, is incredible. The Verge guys can't stop gushing about the camera. The even mention how good it is in the Nexus 4 review. Other reviews talk about washed out, no detail, etc. It makes me wonder if some reviewers have an early version of the image software.

Also, that's not an excuse. If it's true I think that's a huge fail on Nokia's part. You can upgrade software, but reviewers rarely upgrade their text. Similar to the Surface reviews. They all mention laggy performance in some areas. Maybe MS will fix it, but the reviews will exist forever.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why a camera review showing one group of users expected outcomes is worthless? The professional one is a great representation of the camera by itself but completely takes out the user interaction. The fact that the 920 is less sharp with its "revolutionary" OIS means something. Sure, its not the camera, its the software :dry but still affects photo quality. Unless you can show me a way to change the noise algorithm or when it sticks its nose into my pictures.

I give more credit to the cnet review than the professional one. Will be more applicable to me and most users. I know design, art, photography, but when I am taking pictures of my daughters, I can not take 5 minutes to compose a picture and get things perfect.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

Did you just saw the pot picture? theres a mice quantity of cases where the 8X came alone triumphant , and if you get the 822 you will be stuck with an even worse camera.=/

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually not all reviews of the Surface claim it is slow. Here is one that says different:

AnandTech - Microsoft Surface Review

Note that Anandtech (which is worlds above any of the Ziff Davis sites in credibility) breaks down performance very exactingly. Launching an app can be slower but once it is up the operation and switching in multitasking is lightning fast.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
To summarize the results, it looks like the "killer feature" of the 920 isn't all that killer. Doesn't bode well, considering the thickness/heaviness compromises required to squeeze in that camera.

It also suggests that Nokia has some camera optimization issues... the 900 was supposed to have a killer camera, but also fell well short of promised performance.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I remember videos of guys at The Verge a while back with their hands on some Windows Phones, and I saw that when they were demoing photo capture, they weren't even focusing the images. Plenty of bozos out there.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep, those are Nokia shots. They look almost identical to what I get from the 900. Except for the low light shots. But outdoors, close up shots, all, have that inarticulate stutter. It won't get to crisp for love nor money. I expect Nokia will get there at some point. But in the 920 I'm afraid it didn't make the grade.

The bigger question is, is this simply an algorithm issue? IOW, can these problems be corrected in the Lumia with a software update? I suspect no because if they could, they wouldn't be here in the first place. But if you think they can, will Nokia issue yet another fix to a newly released product?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Seems like Nokia is doing the best to ruin the Carls Seizz name, I instantly associate it with terrible pictures.
So, you don't know what benchmarks are and now you call Carl Zeiss "Carls Seizz". You know what it seems like to me? You got a Windows Phone, got mad with it and came here to spout your negativity. You're clearly out of depth, I doubt you're even much of a technology enthusiast. Just young and hard-headed.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So, you don't know what benchmarks are and now you call Carl Zeiss "Carls Seizz". You know what it seems like to me?

Oh dear, I'm such a moron. Everyone knows what a benchmark is and to correctly write the name Carl Zeiss, why they teach that to little kids in kindergarden. LOL are you stalking me on Android Central?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss