UK Podcast support in WP8?

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Any word on whether WP8 will properly support podcast downloading in the UK?

MS deliberately removed this feature in WP7. This kind of makes me pleased useless T-Mobile haven't released any updates for my Omnia 7 in the last year - so I still have the partially working Mango podcast support.

ctafield

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Seems even worse now. I picked up an 8X yesterday... The situation is now:

- There's a podcasts option in the Music hub, which says to get stuff from the store.
- There are no podcasts on the store.
- You cannot subscribe to podcasts from the WP8 app in Windows 8.

So... unless I'm missing it, you cannot subscribe to podcasts without using third party apps if you're in the UK. GREAT SUCCESS! :\

agolding

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

- There's a podcasts option in the Music hub, which says to get stuff from the store.

So... unless I'm missing it, you cannot subscribe to podcasts without using third party apps if you're in the UK. GREAT SUCCESS! :\
didnt see this thread, apologies, I cant figure it out either, terrible really! Wouldnt be such a problem if the podcast apps werent terrible

ctafield

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
looks quite nice but i presume with the limitations still it isnt possible to background download new podcasts? I do like being able to wake up with new podcasts already downloaded, Just wondered if its possible for an application to do this or not, anyone know?
It is possible, if the phone is plugged into the mains, and on wifi.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely, truely pathetic. It wouldn't be so bad if the phone didn't handle podcasts at all, but the fact that it is deliberately broken is frustrating beyond belief. I understand rights issues are a (bad) excuse for music and video availability, but that reason simply doesn't exist for podcasts.

Perhaps someone should get a map and show MS the differences in size and population between the US and the Rest-of-World region.

ctafield

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I just managed to get some podcasts onto my phone... (thanks to a suggestion from @TheRomit on Twitter)

If you've not already got it installed, install iTunes (bare with me)... and find your podcast(s) in the iTunes Store. Subscribe to them, and let it download at least one episode of each.

Then crank up the Windows Phone sync tool, and import settings from iTunes. You should see your podcasts appear under the Xbox music app. From there you can then hit Subscribe, and it should automatically down your podcasts (when you're plugged into power, and on wifi). I haven't tried the last bit yet, but it let me subscribe fine.

Hope this helps....

geoken

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just managed to get some podcasts onto my phone... (thanks to a suggestion from @TheRomit on Twitter)

If you've not already got it installed, install iTunes (bare with me)... and find your podcast(s) in the iTunes Store. Subscribe to them, and let it download at least one episode of each.

Then crank up the Windows Phone sync tool, and import settings from iTunes. You should see your podcasts appear under the Xbox music app. From there you can then hit Subscribe, and it should automatically down your podcasts (when you're plugged into power, and on wifi). I haven't tried the last bit yet, but it let me subscribe fine.

Hope this helps....

Do you have the desktop sync tool running? If so, can you confirm that it can not import playlists/podcast from Zune?

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
So basically the same workaround as was necessary to get podcast subcriptions working in WP7 Mango, except now we have to use iTunes instead of Zune.

It's still pathetic behaviour from MS, but at least there seems to be an option for when I move to WP8.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Hope this helps....

Thx for that

Looks like Im going to have to install itunes :mad:
If i tell you last time I looked at itunes it was version 4.xx, that should tell you how long ago it was ;)
I might see if the same process works with media monkey

ctafield

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Thurrott has posted an article mentioning the iTunes workaround, but he also says OTA podcast downloading is more widely available than before.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/windows-phone-8-tip-enjoy-podcasts-144751
I tried tweeting Paul... he's wrong basically :( Like I say, the subscribe button does nothing. If you don't mind download them on your PC and syncing across, then that's a solution... but it won't auto download on the phone.

geoken - sorry, I missed your post... You can't seem to import from Zune. The desktop app lets you import from either Media Player, or iTunes.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Of the two views, I believed your negative one more than Paul's upbeat one. He's generally 100% wrong on anything non-US.

I don't like the idea of having to connect my phone to my PC every day to sync podcasts. If I wanted a retro experience I'd have a Blackberry. Even my dreadful old Symbian phone managed to download (and subscribe to) podcasts without going anywhere near my PC.

Chris Bardon

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just spent the last couple of hours fighting with this and trying to get something to work. I've managed to get the itunes option working (grumble...), and held out hope for the "subscribe" button to work, but I noticed that not only will this not subscribe, but it also won't let you set options for a series like "play oldest first"... Pretty pathetic actually...

Anyone got any suggestions for good 3p apps for wp8? Really, I just want something that will download automatically (I don't want to stream-data rates in Canada are ridiculous), allow me some decent control over storage, and bookmark what I'm playing. Slapdash doesn't seem to download automatically, although it did look reasonably promising.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077