Wifi Sync in Windows phone 8

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Im sure that i read that windows 8 phone would have wifi sync, however i cant find it on my 920.... Anyone know about if it exists or if it is planned? I would have thought this a basic for microsoft.

Im generally disappointed by the lack of connectivity over wifi to other windows devices, ie my pc or windows home server 2011 box. Surely you should have an opportunity to connect to an other home share pc or server - ms should see that this is a big usp for them, utilising their own substantial existing infrastructure.

Hopefully this will be improved with future updates....

Last edited:

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi I have installed the WHS app - it's good but only designed to work from outside the network. I'm talking about full integration with other microsoft machines in the home network - ie when you're at home and looking at photos on your winddows phone, you should be able to swipe right for photos stored in "My PC" and "My server" etc.
This is a minor point though

The main point of my thread was about the wifi sync between phone and PC (ie to transfer music) - Does Windows 8 have this and i am missing it???

thanks for all help

ramrandhawa

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Have been through desktop app and definately no sign of WiFi. Sync.
Does WiFi sync work on win phone 7?

Yes, wifi sync works great with WP7 and the Zune client. My hope is that the reason it's not working is the Windows Phone App is still in beta . . . once we get the final version out it will (I hope) work.

Although I have a foreboding that Microsoft is deprecating the option of syncing direct phone-to-PC -- they want you to do phone-to-cloud and PC-to-cloud.

Ram

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the reply Ram.

I would be flabbergasted if MS decides to shun the massive infastructure that they have built in peoples's homes in favour of a cloud solution. The whole USP of Wp8 is that Microsoft already have a windows pc in everyone's home!

I presume that we'll see an announcement of the final Windows phone app here on WPcentral when it is released?

Last edited:

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Im bumping this thread because after a few months i have still seen no sign of Wifi sync for my Lumia 920. Seriously, if it's possible on WP7 why isnt it on WP8 yet?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Im bumping this thread because after a few months i have still seen no sign of Wifi sync for my Lumia 920. Seriously, if it's possible on WP7 why isnt it on WP8 yet?

It's not possible on WP8 because they got rid of the Zune software. Wireless Sync was a Zune feature that WP7 got as a benefit of using the Zune software to sync with the desktop.

With WP8 they started from scratch on sync software, and haven't even gotten the basic functionality from the Zune software back in place, much less anything fancy like wireless syncing.

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply vedytchim, but sorry, i'm not satisfied. Since when does OS evolution inhibit useful features and integration??? I cant express my earlier point (existing windows infrastructure being a massive advantage) any better that i already have. Frankly, lack of WiFi sync is disappointing to say the least

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply vedytchim, but sorry, i'm not satisfied. Since when does OS evolution inhibit useful features and integration??? I cant express my earlier point (existing windows infrastructure being a massive advantage) any better that i already have. Frankly, lack of WiFi sync is disappointing to say the least

Here Here!

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

Exactly! Very disappointed.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

I'm not satisfied either, getting rid of the Zune software without having any replacement was a terrible idea.

I encourage you to vote on and comment the requests in the Windows Phone requests forum, as well as contacting their support twitter accounts.

Feature Suggestions: Hot (21311 ideas)

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I will certainly do so mate, and i hope all others that read this thread will ramp up the noise over the lack of WiFi sync!
Surely MS are working on this. They must be

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
What OP is talking about is not Wifi sync, OP wants to view NAS or files on other computers. You probably aren't going to see that anytime at all, however if you use Skydrive you can do it.

Wifi is syncing Outlook/Music on wifi like how it was done with Zune on WP7, and there isn't a need for it anymore. Skydrive and Xbox Music do it for you, syncing is a thing of the last decade.

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about that man, its about transferring music and videos to your phone, quickly and effortlessly before you leave the house.
I was primarily referring to WiFi sync as an ability to transfer music/video from any windows pc (or home server) in your home network to you windows phone. Skydrive and xbox music isn't the same thing; especially xbox music . There is no way that Microsoft could expect wp phone owners to dismiss their existing mp3 collections and only use xbox music.
Skydrive is also no good if you want to copy a video to your pho e to watch whilst going to work (ie in the tube)

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
OP, there isn't anything yet. And yeah, this is a huge facepalm. Sync over wifi should have been a no brainer, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT EXISTED FOR WP7. Two steps forward, one step back for MS.....always seems to be the case. It's just like when MS removed integration from the photo hub in Windows 8.1. It's completely asinine. I suggest clicking on the link in my signature and voice your opinion.

*edit*

Here you go

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Xbox One..... Sorry couldn't resist. While this feature is no use to me, I feel your pain. I didn't have WP7, so luckily I didn't get attached to any features. I did have a 360 though and the move (as opposed to evolution) to the next one is like moving from CD to tape (poor analogy I know). I know many will claim that they didn't have time, or whatever, but that doesn't wash. Is see it more like grooming us to adopt different usage habits. This cloud business, well it sort of drives me potty. I see it touted all over as an answer to so many questions that have not being asked. I accept it has a place, not least in one of the articles I have seen today about recovering previous purchases and settings. Great stuff, and perfect for that. But so my time I see people have to use a Skydrive workaround for things that I am sure are possible on my old HTC Desire running Android Gingerbread. For me, and new version of a product or service should do at least what the product, that it replaces, did. This is one reason that I see red when salespeople offer me an "upgrade", usually on the promise of it being "better". I always get them to try and qualify their bold statements.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss