Nexus 4 or WP8?

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 announcement is IMO the most significant event in mobile phones this year. The Nexus 4 is a top-end device (albeit without LTE or expandable storage), with an OS that's immune from carrier interference, at an INSANE price (half the price of comparable phones).

The second-most significant event is of course the release of the new WP8 phones and Microsoft's push on all fronts (Windows 8, WP8 and Surface) to give the MS ecosystem a fighting chance.

Currently I'm still using the iPhone 3G so pretty much any modern smartphone would be a huge improvement. That also means I'm not really familiar with the user experience of the latest Android phones and how it compares with WP7/8.

I would like to ask any current Android users whether they think the switch to WP8 is viable. I would especially like to hear from those that make heavy use of their Android phones as to whether WP8 can match or exceed Android on features and user experience.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
My favorite part about the Nexus 4 is how cheaply made it is and how Verge had the back glass break on their review unit. Lol. Jelly Bean is almost as boring as iOS.

Beacio_mo

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I tried a Lumia 900 when it was released and went to Android myself once I heard the 900 wouldn't get WP8. I am now considering going back to the Lumia 920 if the out of contract price is right.

If you are a heavy app user, I'd probably get an Android. If certain apps not available on WP8 aren't a concern for you, I'd definitely consider a WP8 phone. I only use about 10 apps total regularly.

My Samsung Skyrocket feels cheap in the hand and does feel similar to iOS, always having to jump in and out of apps. Depending on the widgets used in Android, they will drain your battery in the background. FB always runs even if you force close the app. Battery life is something to constantly monitor on Android unless you have a Razr Maxx.

When I used WP7, battery life isn't a concern. Live tiles update like widgets but don't drain in the background noticeably. WP8 apps are really nice compared to Android. There are a ton of apps for Android but soo many are low quality or questionable at best.

Comparing smoothness, I have a Nexus 7 and it is really smooth, but at times can lag if you don't close open apps. WP7 runs really smooth all of the time. Its surprising how quick it was on a single core processor, I can't imagine what it will be like on a dual core S4.

With WP8 almost launched in the US, I'd really consider checking it out before going Android. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 4 looks amazing for the price and is my other option if the 920 and 8X are too expensive with no contract, but I'd definitely check out a WP8 before making your decision

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus isn't sold in any stores except T-mobile at inflated prices and it lacks a lot of things that android fans want, like LTE and sd card support.

That being said is cheaper and has better specs than every Windows Phone so ill be buying one. I couldn't care less about Android but you will be a sucker if you don't get one. too good to pass out.

vain000

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to get the Nokia 920 so bad, I loved almost everything about it. Unfortunately, I think I will be going with the Nexus 4 instead. With all the problems and delays with the 920, it just makes sense for me to wait. The refusal of Nokia/AT&T to give a release date after months since the announcement and the embarrassing camera performance (during the day) are the main things that are swaying me away from the 920. The whole reason the phone is so thick/heavy is for the camera. When the camera is worse than phones already out (again, during the day)... that doesn't sound like a good compromise to me.

The HTC 8X unfortunately has only 16gb of space, which is entirely unacceptable. I am willing to deal with it on the Nexus 4 because I won't be forced into it for 2 years. Maybe someday there will be a WP8 phone that can be the complete package. I sure hope so because I find it the most attractive phone OS available right now.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use to be a heavy android user and I haven't missed much since switching. Some banking and credit card apps are missing, but nothing I could do without.

the Nexus has a glass back, which was a deal breaker for me. I wanted one, but not anymore

I've never had any problems with maleware.

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I too am torn between these two devices, or more specifically Nexus 4 and the Lumia 920. Release date aside, I know that they'll both be out next week so I'm in no way in a rush to get either or. And if AT&T has nothing for us by then, then they completely failed.

I'm no longer in a contract so I have the option of upgrading for $150 with the Lumia 920 or staying out of contract and buying the 16 gig version of the N4. And at the price Google is offering their phones, I can easily sell my device and pay just a little more for something new. Either way I get to grandfather my data plan. AT&T isn't all that great as they've sent me SMS about slowing down my speeds if I continue to use my data plans pass 3gig in a month. Some BS!

As far as LTE, I don't have that right now as I am currently on the Galaxy Nexus so really I have no idea what that is like. I live in the Bay Area (about 10 min away from San Francisco) and don't really know what the LTE coverage is like here for AT&T. LTE vs no LTE is really not a deal breaker from me especially not having experienced it. I'm sure it must be better for those have have an LTE phone with great coverage.

The design/hardware is definitely eye catching, different and has personality. I don't might the weight as it's only a few more grams heavier than my phone now which has a cover.

I'm really attracted to the camera and even tho day time photos aren't the best, the night time phones are amazing. I take lots of phones in both settings. I'm hoping it really is a firmware fix just sharpen the images I've seen so far. I think this also has more to do with the user and how they're taking the pictures. As the NEXTWEB review pointed out, the reviewer had to take several pictures to get it right, but that defeats the whole purpose of the floating lens or OIS.

However, WP8 currently lacks some of the apps I use such as Flipboard and Instagram. I know they are coming and I can wait but I am also open to other options or alternative.

The Nokia apps are also attractive.

The N4 is a very attractive phone in it's own right. Jelly Bean, while boring to some, is just absolutely a pleasure to use. The Playstore also has some of the apps I need or want. Mind you I don't need a million apps I just need a few.

In any case, I have a week to decide. I was thinking of getting both phones, but it would be impractical and unnecessary. Good luck to the others who are looking into both options.

sooohaib

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Boy did Google pull out the big guns with this one ! A nice flagship nexus device announced at the same time of announcing wp8. With half the price ! I tell you that would make bad times for Microsoft and OEMs except if they reconsider their pricing. I'm totally sold by google ;)

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is still an Android device. What's the big deal?

Android is getting better all the time, and combining it with the features and price of the Nexus 4 makes it a compelling choice. That said I'm also intrigued by WP8 and its UI innovations.

Does anyone make extensive use of Siri or Google Now? The voice features of WP8 seem a little thin and I'm wondering if I would regret not having the latest in voice tech.

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I never used Siri,S-voice or Google now but I've used Tell Me extensively when the touch screen on my phone died. It's beyond abysmal.

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
To add a point in WP8/iOS' favour, it seems that not all of Android's problems with UI smoothness and responsiveness have been addressed. Despite the improvements brought to Jelly Bean by Project Butter, there are apparently still instances where scrolling does not match precisely with touch input. I haven't used WP8 but everyone seems to praise its responsiveness.

Sources:
Confession of a Nexus 7 owner: iPad Mini will blow it away | ZDNet
Android Lag, Even With Project Butter? - MacRumors Forums

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
An article on macrumors bashing the Nexus while praising the iPad. Nooooo way.
To add a point in WP8/iOS' favour, it seems that not all of Android's problems with UI smoothness and responsiveness have been addressed. Despite the improvements brought to Jelly Bean by Project Butter, there are apparently still instances where scrolling does not match precisely with touch input. I haven't used WP8 but everyone seems to praise its responsiveness.

Sources:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Sources:

Addressed, probably but you are absolutely right about JB on tablets. I picked up the Nexus 7 thinking I could finally get rid of my HP Tablet running ICS and keep one foot in android just for technology sake. The Nexus 7 I had since launch and today I still have my HP Tablet. I hardly use the Nexus anymore and it sits collecting dust. JB on a tablet flat out bites. I've seen it on the LG Optimus G quad core jobby and its not half bad but on tablets, not worth it. My Surface should be here tomorrow and the Nexus 7 is up on Craigs list at my official unboxing.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If you go with Android, you will get a crappy stability and usability experience.

And every time you have a problem, you will be told "that has been addressed in the latest version," but for some reason you will keep having the issue. If the idea of hacking your phone for hours to get it to a usable state excites you, go with the Nexus. Otherwise, Windows is a better idea.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Addressed, probably but you are absolutely right about JB on tablets. I picked up the Nexus 7 thinking I could finally get rid of my HP Tablet running ICS and keep one foot in android just for technology sake. The Nexus 7 I had since launch and today I still have my HP Tablet. I hardly use the Nexus anymore and it sits collecting dust. JB on a tablet flat out bites. I've seen it on the LG Optimus G quad core jobby and its not half bad but on tablets, not worth it. My Surface should be here tomorrow and the Nexus 7 is up on Craigs list at my official unboxing.

The Touchpad is a beast that's why. Love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786