Nexus 4 or WP8?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone make extensive use of Siri or Google Now? The voice features of WP8 seem a little thin and I'm wondering if I would regret not having the latest in voice tech.
TellMe, out of the box, is certainly thin. However, there is an API so third party apps can integrate with it, potentially making it rather powerful. I'd like to see Microsoft improving background agents, I think Google Now can be countered if apps can schedule an app-specific screen to appear at a set time or in response to a stimuli.

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Windows 8 PC and 360 its a no brainer.

To me it doesn't seem that clear-cut. Android integrates fine with Windows using the Google Drive application and their excellent web services such as Gmail and Docs. As for the 360, the SmartGlass application is (or will be) available for both Android and iOS as well as WP8.

diego3336

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was planning to buy the Lumia 920 since the first news about it came to the light, as it will pack an evolved version of my favorite mobile OS and a top-notch hardware.

But 920 took so long to be available, that suddenly Nexus 4 happened, packing a 2x most powerful CPU, 2x more RAM and the most important to me: a way-way better GPU. And for almost the half of the price.

If WP8 had evolved as much as I was expecting (free selection of color accents and background, set any sound I want as SMS tone, a custom ringtone directly from my phone, a blacklist for income calls and sms, and other simple things well voted on own MS suggestion box for over a year), I will probably buy a 920 even basically paying double for half compared to Nexus 4.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge MS fan and I have my WP7 since Nov'10, but I never felt that MS was listening to our feedbacks and now I am sure of this as almost all good and well voted suggestions on that suggestion box was simply ignored. In 10 months with a Motorola Xoom, I got two major updates (HoneyComb (almost unusable) to Ice Cream Sandwich (more close to a finished OS), and then to JellyBean (a truly good piece of software) that added tons of new features and system improvements requested by the users, and in 2 years with my WP7, only Mango, more than a year ago, added new features, mostly basic ones that were available on iOS and Android already.

This time I will pass the WP and will stick to Nexus 4, but hoping that MS will finally start to heard their user base and tailor the OS according to it, so I can come back.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The lack of LTE is a deal-breaker for me. I live in an area that has LTE. There is nothing that could make me give up LTE now that I've used it for the past 6 months.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It's not great, but plenty of people got by with the iPhone 4 (which is below the Nexus 4 on the chart).

It's $299. If you're not due for an upgrade anytime soon, need a new phone, and you're on a GSM carrier (or you're on a prepaid one), then it's a no-brainer.

If you're eligible for a subsidy on your current carrier and/or have access to LTE, then it's a bit harder.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That "cheap phone" will cost you thousands of dollars in wasted time, lost data, reboots, freezes, crashes, lost usage from battery rundown, and lockups over two years.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
That "cheap phone" will cost you thousands of dollars in wasted time, lost data, reboots, freezes, crashes, lost usage from battery rundown, and lockups over two years.

Now you have to take the blinders off as even I know not every android phones is like that. Even some windows phones do the same, i got an HTC Titan II that has started rebooting sometime on it's own, along with freezes now for some reason, and screen corruption as well. I'm all for WP8 but I'm not gonna get all ****** like that.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Now you have to take the blinders off as even I know not every android phones is like that. Even some windows phones do the same, i got an HTC Titan II that has started rebooting sometime on it's own, along with freezes now for some reason, and screen corruption as well. I'm all for WP8 but I'm not gonna get all ****** like that.

I am using a Galaxy S III as my "daily driver" right now.

It sucks.

It is awful.

It freezes, crashes, locks up or misbehaves several times a day.

It stutters and slows down. Just pulling down the "window shade" makes it stutter.

I can often freeze it simply by task switching from the browser to the desktop while a page is rendering.

In the middle of any call that lasts longer than an hour or so, I will suddenly just "go mute" and the other person cannot hear me. There's nothing I can do other than end the call and reboot the phone and hope it doesn't happen again.

After it has been running for about two days, the task switcher gets a weird situation where I select one app from the list, and it takes me to a totally different app than the one I've selected.

It takes about half an hour for changes I make (such as drafts) to upload to the Exchange server.

It lasts about 11 hours on a full charge before dying. I have to keep it plugged in at my desk.

It constantly has to have the banking apps updated due to security problems.

If you accidentally hold the home button too long, "S-Voice" activates and WON'T go away. If you exit to the home screen before S-Voice finishes loading, the phone freezes/crashes.

Oh, trust me, I know Android only too well.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If that's important to you, why didn't you get an iPhone?

Because I shouldn't have to choose between reliability, usability and capability. With Windows Phone, one gets all three. And I cannot wait until I can replace this GS 3 with a new 8X (my Radar won't accept a microsim, to my eternal regret, as I was ready to swap back just last week. Android sucks.)

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a HTC MyTouch 4G and outside of the lack of software updates, the phone has been good to me. It's just that at this point it's old and that's about it. Jelly Bean does look cool, and it works if you're willing to take advantage of the things it brings (which I would be).

I'm also giving WP8 a shot, just cause it might be nice to switch over to a different OS and try something new. The 920 just looks more appealing by the day.

The glass back on the Nexus concerns me though. Why'd they have to go do that? I'd love an Android phone that gets updates constantly without having to worry about it breaking on me.

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I am using a Galaxy S III as my "daily driver" right now.

It sucks.

It is awful.

It freezes, crashes, locks up or misbehaves several times a day.

It stutters and slows down. Just pulling down the "window shade" makes it stutter.

I can often freeze it simply by task switching from the browser to the desktop while a page is rendering.

In the middle of any call that lasts longer than an hour or so, I will suddenly just "go mute" and the other person cannot hear me. There's nothing I can do other than end the call and reboot the phone and hope it doesn't happen again.

After it has been running for about two days, the task switcher gets a weird situation where I select one app from the list, and it takes me to a totally different app than the one I've selected.

It takes about half an hour for changes I make (such as drafts) to upload to the Exchange server.

It lasts about 11 hours on a full charge before dying. I have to keep it plugged in at my desk.

It constantly has to have the banking apps updated due to security problems.

If you accidentally hold the home button too long, "S-Voice" activates and WON'T go away. If you exit to the home screen before S-Voice finishes loading, the phone freezes/crashes.

Oh, trust me, I know Android only too well.

You must have a defective S3. I own an android phone and my experience is far from yours so it makes it hard to believe all the negative things you have to say about it. Maybe on Gingerbread, but def not ICS and most especially not Jelly Bean. I also know plenty of other people who own the S3 and have nothing but great things to say about their experience. Two of the people I know are my bro and sis, so I might not be the user but I keep a close eye on them. No complaints here.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Boy did Google pull out the big guns with this one ! A nice flagship nexus device announced at the same time of announcing wp8. With half the price ! I tell you that would make bad times for Microsoft and OEMs except if they reconsider their pricing. I'm totally sold by google ;)

you created a windows phone central account just to post that you are totally sold by google? lol

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, now that out sister sites had being merged, you can troll Palm, IOS and BlackBerry users with the same account. Now that's convenient.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
You must have a defective S3. I own an android phone and my experience is far from yours so it makes it hard to believe all the negative things you have to say about it. Maybe on Gingerbread, but def not ICS and most especially not Jelly Bean. I also know plenty of other people who own the S3 and have nothing but great things to say about their experience. Two of the people I know are my bro and sis, so I might not be the user but I keep a close eye on them. No complaints here.

Yeah the key word was that his/hers SG3 was having all those problems. I know plenty of people that have that and other android phones that are smooth and give no problems. I even had a Droid Eris, Motorola photon, Nexus S 4G as well and didn't have problems with none of them other than when they got left in the never ending cycle of new phones and old ones don't get updated.

Have had the HTC HD7, HTC titan II, Dell Venue Pro, Lumia 710, and wife had Nokia Lumia 900. HD7 no problems, Dell Venue pro a beast, lumia 710 Good for wife but poor T-mobile service, Titan II reboot, freezing, and screen artifacts right now. Lumia 900 was good but started having reboots and signal problems. Sometime it's the luck of the draw with phones no matter the OS. A poorly written driver or hardware problem can make even the best phone act weird and be a pain in the A**.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

I keep getting told that all the problems I have were "fixed" and don't happen and that I'm doing something wrong or have a defective device, but lo... the problems keep happening. Even with a device swap.

If you depend on your phone for 100% reliable uptime and business use, Android is baaaaaaaaaad news. It's the Windows Me of smartphone OSes.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If you're an Android power user with many past Android phones. You'll know that Android is very unstable. $300 with attractive hardware and no LTE nor expandable storage is not a bad price at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss