Just received an email that my best buy order was cancelled.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Nokia gave an exclusive deal to a carrier who will be very, very late to market.

Sheer strategic brilliance.

Let us define "late" - occurring or arriving after the correct or expected time

Source: Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

With that in mind, can you tell me what the expected date is for the 920? Nope. One has not been released. Therefore, how can something be late if there is no announced arrival date?

To take this a step further, with your logic, all WP8 phones are "late to market."

ycy198472

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
That's right folks, just like that, I received an email stating that my order was cancelled and I never called to cancel anything.

This is the message I received.

We're sorry, the backordered item below remains out of stock and your order has been canceled.

Your credit card was not charged for this item. Any other payment method used on this order has been credited. To view the amount of the credit and updated order details, please check your order status.

If you used a gift card for this order and no longer have it, please call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) and we'll send you a replacement.

Item details are listed below.

Questions about this cancellation? Call us at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289). For faster service, please have your order number ready when you call.

Thank you.
Best Buy Customer Service

I spoke to a customer service rep mins ago and she told me that all pre orders placed online for the Nokia Lumia 920 will be cancelled as they were not supposed to put the pre order up online as they will not be getting any stock before the official AT&T launch.

She said that is the main reason why the pre order links became inactive after a few hours of the pre order links going live.

She said everyone will have to pre order the phone from their local AT&T store.

This in opinion is unprofessional and messed up by best buy to do such a thing. A lot of folks will be highly pissed off and disappointed.

I did however get a refund back for my giftcards used during the pre order.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
You are right. Just contact the online representative and he confirmed that all the lumia 920 preorders will be canceled. He said he had to pull up my order... What the ****! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
"Late" from a consumer's view is all that matters. That is defined as "I am tired of waiting and cancelled preorders, I am buying something else."

And there is lots of competition out there, ready to take their money, either today or in the next ten days. When you make it hard for people to buy your products in a timely manner, most won't buy at all.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
"Late" from a consumer's view is all that matters. That is defined as "I am tired if waiting and cancelled preorders, I am buying something else."

And there is lots of competition out there, ready to take their money, either today or in the next ten days. When you make it hard for people to buy your products in a timely manner, most won't buy at all.

99% of potential buyers have no idea that anything is late. So that is irrelevant.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
99% of potential buyers have no idea that anything is late. So that is irrelevant.

The 920 will mostly sell either to tech geeks willing to compromise form factor (weight, size, texture) to get specs, WP interested, or Nokia fans.

Group 1 is fickle and will be easily attracted away by something new. Group 2 is more likely to encounter the 8X at the current rate. Group 3 is quite small in the USA.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, neither of these phones have an official release date from AT&T anyway. Am I right?

Can't we all just get along? ;)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Stopping Roseanne from singing would be the only reason I would encounter a 8x. It's like the lesser of two evils.

ycy198472

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The 920 will mostly sell either to tech geeks willing to compromise form factor (weight, size, texture) to get specs, WP interested, or Nokia fans.

Group 1 is fickle and will be easily attracted away by something new. Group 2 is more likely to encounter the 8X at the current rate. Group 3 is quite small in the USA.
I am the one combining these 3. And I just want to wait for the lumia 920. Not the copier -- 8X.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

ironocaly, this could be the same reason why nokia may not sell well at all, nobody knows as there has been too much time passed since announcing the phone. Potential customers have already moved on to iphones or sgs3s.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
At this point I'm just waiting to receive my email from Best Buy canceling my pre-order as well.

There are PLENTY of potential explanations for this though. I agree that they weren't supposed to allow that pre-order, it's pretty obvious. Now, why they're pulling them now instead of the day after is much more confusing.

There is the potential that there IS a production issue, which also explains the lack of a launch date announcement from AT&T. Or, Hurricane Sandy could have played some roll in the release delays as well. And, if another rumor on here is to be believed, maybe the crazy idea that Best Buy had their pre-order copies pulled so that they could be given to AT&T store employees. :lol:

Whatever the reason it doesn't matter, I'll still wait. And if, by some crazy random happenstance I can go pick one up on the 9th or 11th - I will.

And to brmiller - if high weight and large form factor are such a huge problem like you say, why is there a SECOND Galaxy Note device shipping out on Tuesday? Clearly by your logic it's because it sold so poorly that Sammy spent millions of dollars to produce a second version and take the gamble that they could do better without changing the formula...

Last edited:

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
"Late" from a consumer's view is all that matters. That is defined as "I am tired of waiting and cancelled preorders, I am buying something else."

Seems to me you are defining "impatient" - if I really want a particular product, I'll save my hard earned cash until it is available. I'm not going to jump ship for something else over a matter of days or weeks.

I understand your point about the competition, but the folks who buy just because something is available will likely make the same move for future purchases. They typically don't have brand/platform/product loyalty... And we all know most business comes from repeat customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos